Revell 1/32 Westland Lysander(Shuttleworth Collection Addition)

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I have made a start this afternoon spraying the fuselage, frame, pilot seat, fuel tank and instrument panels with interior green. I will need some help with how to paint the side instrument panels as I can't seem to find any references on the web. So if anyone has some info I would be grateful.

Vaughan

View attachment 35775

View attachment 35776

View attachment 35777

1WLbox.jpg

2WLdecals.jpg

3WL.jpg

T

tecdes

Watching with interest Vaughan. I keep looking at mine & putting it off.

Interesting to see how you tackle it as this seems to form a good part of putting together a good model.

Keep the info coming please.

Laurie

Very unusual looking aircraft stuck almost between WW1 & WW2 biplanes & monoplanes almost as if it did not know which way to go.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Laurie

Will do. Not sure which version to go for Mk1/111 or SP as the rear gunner has two different setups and The shuttleworth collection SP is all black which is a tad boring so will go for the camo as portrayed on the box. As far as any super detailing the interior I will go with what's provided. I know others might go to town but I don't think I've got the skills required and will be happy to build straight from the box. Although I will add some seat belts as they do give it a bit of realism as I did with the Wildcat.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Vaughan,

Now the Lysander, thats a nice aircraft. I really should try one as they do look good and its a British classic, so right up my street.

I will be keeping an eye on this one.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I will be watching as well.Ive got the Italeri 1/48 in my stash.Bought an Eduard PE set for it last week which has lots of details for the cockpit.Im a bit crap with PE so it will be good practise.Will be watching yours for some interior colour details.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi vaughan , i too will be watching with great interest as ive got this beauty in the stash. I managed to find a few walkarounds whilst collecting info for my build (when i get round to it) heres the links Westland Lysander in detailand Large Scale Planes hope this helps cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Tony

Those links will really come in handy thanks.

Vaughan.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Little progress at the moment the weather is too nice and you've got to take advantage of it while it's here. Wing halves together, filler required where the molds have sunk corresponding to the locating pins but no real problem. Once the wings were laid out with the frame spacer I got an idea just how big the wing span is going to be nearly 20":eek:. Might have to think about a smaller scale soon. I have still got two other 1/32 models to go a Trumpeter Bearcat and a Revell JU88 which has a big wing span too!. I will have ago at the cockpit area next I might even try a bit of detailing I have some lead wire in various sizes so will see how it goes.

Vaughan

View attachment 35877

View attachment 35878

View attachment 35879

View attachment 35880

View attachment 35881

View attachment 35882

_MG_0150.jpg

_MG_0151.jpg

_MG_0152.jpg

_MG_0153.jpg

_MG_0154.jpg

_MG_0204.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I have still got two other 1/32 models to go a Trumpeter Bearcat and a Revell JU88 which has a big wing span too!
The Ju88 has a wingspan of about 2'. They are going to release an A-5 version which will have an even bigger wing span!

Nice work on the Lysander,I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

I have added some lead wiring but I'm still having problems finding the correct colours for the instruments panels and switches can anybody help. Here's an image of the panels.

Vaughan

View attachment 35918

_MG_0210.jpg

T

tecdes

Morning Vaughan

Some bits I have collected which may help.

On the first one scroll down & there are literally loads of thumbnails which can be exploded.

Laurie

Westland Lysander Cockpit - wide view - Warbird Photo Album

1938 Westland Lysander cockpit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lysander cockpit pics needed! - Forums - FineScale Modeler: Online Community, Forums, Blogs, Galleries

Lysander Cockpit... - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums

File:Westland Lysander III cockpit .jpg - Wikipedia

Lysander cockpit image by michael_harrison37 on Photobucket

westland lysander cockpit. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Model Flying

futurshox.net Lysander cockpit closeup V9673

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Laurie

Thanks for all those links. I will work my way through them.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

A little more progress on the instrument panels and radial engine this morning. Good weather has stopped play so may do some more this evening.

Vaughan. Thanks again Laurie for the links:smiling3:

View attachment 35940

instrument panel1.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi vaughan, great job on the interior bits, it shows that a bit of careful painting and a few extra additions can make the kit supplied bits look as good as p.e. or resin extras. cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Vaughan

Nice interior bits you've done an incredible job in picking out the detail.

You know whenever I see the Lysander I think British spies dropped into occupied France!

Best of luck with the rest of the build

Paul

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Tony and Paul thanks for the complements.

Here are the instrument panels in place on the frame. Pilot seat weathered just requires some seat belts to finish it off.

Vaughan.

View attachment 35956

_MG_0233.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice Vaughan, at this scale and with all that canopy you could really go to town with the detail ! I wonder what the 'DANGER' the instrument panel was for ? Approaching stall speed maybe ?

Regards

Colin M.......

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

A small amount of progress today, well in fact the frame was glued together last night and allowed to dry throughly. This afternoon dry fitted the frame in the fuselage in readiness to fitting the wings cross member. Wanted to fit it in situ to ensure that it was level to the rest of the aircraft. Here are some images. Will leave it overnight to dry as it has to support some very large wings.

Vaughan

View attachment 36022

View attachment 36023

View attachment 36024

View attachment 36025

_MG_0247.jpg

_MG_0249.jpg

_MG_0250.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
\ said:
All looking very nice Vaughan, at this scale and with all that canopy you could really go to town with the detail ! Regards

Colin M.......
Hi All

Further progress with cockpit area and frame. Have added both the pilots and rear gunners seats including belts. I had to add a cross bar above the pilots seat as there was no where to attached the shoulder straps. As the cockpit area is quite visible through the canopy I have also added some exposed wiring( as per the original plane) to the back of the pilots instrument panel.

Vaughan

View attachment 36127

View attachment 36128

View attachment 36129

View attachment 36130

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looking good vaughan.ive got an Eduard etched set of all that framework for my 1/48 Italeri Lysander.The instructions say to put each section of the framework in each fuselage half.Then to add all the other pieces and bring the two fuselage halves together.I think a better idea would be to build it up like yours first then fit it when the fuselage halves are joined.Ive a keen interest in this build and will probably pinch a few of your ideas for my Lysander if you dont mind?.