Revell 1/32 Westland Lysander(Shuttleworth Collection Addition)

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

This will be my last post till next week as it's our 30th wedding anniversary on Monday and we're having a party this W/E for family and friends so there's lots to prepare. Anyway I have sanded down the ill fitting canopy and dry fitted the engine cowl and propeller and that's about it so I will be back posting again next week.

Vaughan

View attachment 36368

View attachment 36369

1.jpg

2.jpg

T

tecdes

Very nice Vaughan. Cannot wait to finish the Mosquito as this is the next one.

Very nice clean & sharp photos you are producing. What speed & opening are you using on the lense. How far away are you from the model. And lastly what JPG settings are you using. Apologies for all the demands !

Best wishes to you & your wife on this milestone. Time goes so quickly. Put your Lysander on the top shelf during the party. Great party time with all your family around you.

Regards

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't understand why you're putting this smashing build on hold just 'cos of an anniversary party! Anybody would think you didn't take your hobby seriously :lol

Gern

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Dave

A mans gota do what a mans goat do and after all it is 30 years.

Laurie

Thanks for the kind words and the questions. I use a Canon 350D Digital SLR it's rather old now at 4 years, technology moves on so quickly. It's only 8mega pixels but it does have a large APS-C size sensor. I do have a macro lens but these photos have been taken with the standard 18-55mm kit lens. I cheat a lot of there time and shoot on automatic. As far as the JPG settings I go for the highest which is 3456x2304. I could use the RAW setting but I'm happy with the results I get. As far as the distance away about 18" but I can zoom in and out to compose the picture. I hope that gives you enough information.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

I'm back after a great W/E of celebrating our anniversary with friends and family.

Little progress so far I've started dry fitting the canopy again but have found that the pilots sliding hatch is going to be a bit of a pig to line up and fit properly as the profile at one end doesn't seem to match which ever way you fit it. So will have to have a re think on how to proceed.

Vaughan.

View attachment 36588

View attachment 36589

View attachment 36590

View attachment 36591

_MG_0105.jpg

_MG_0106.jpg

_MG_0107.jpg

_MG_0104.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

The canopy is attached using clear fix and I have sprayed it interior green and then will over spray it with the camo colours this should give the effect of the interior being painted. The pilots sliding canopy I decided to fit with the raised part at the back as this would have passed over the static part I hope this is right.

Vaughan

View attachment 36608

View attachment 36609

View attachment 36610

View attachment 36611

_MG_0108.jpg

_MG_0109.jpg

_MG_0110.jpg

_MG_0111.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Have made some more progress today. Sprayed the underside black and then masked off the fuselage with blutac and tamiya tape. Sprayed grey first followed with dark green. I then repeated the process with the engine cowling. The propeller spinner is now dark green as it appears lighter than black in reference photos.

Next step is to work on the wheel spats. The landing light lenses were glued with clear fix and were rather tricky to line up but once the two halves are together there will also be a lot of filling to do.

Vaughan

View attachment 36634

View attachment 36635

View attachment 36636

View attachment 36637

View attachment 36638

View attachment 36639

_MG_0124.jpg

_MG_0125.jpg

_MG_0131.jpg

_MG_0132.jpg

_MG_0133.jpg

_MG_0138.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

It's been a week so here's an update with the build so far.

The wheel spats are together and glued to the undercarriage arms. The fit was poor so a lot of filling was needed. The landing lamp lenses were also a problem so to fill the gap I used thin strips of Tamiya tape which seems to have worked quite well.

Have tried a dry run with the wings, she's one big bird, there is a problem with the fit with the canopy so will have to work round that one some how any thoughts?

Undercarriage on there will need to be a small amount of filling.

Engine and cowling is fitted too. I decide to apply the decals prior to fitting the wings and wing struts as they would get in the way so a couple of Klear coats were applied.

Decals went down well even on the contours of the fuselage so no problems there. I also attempted some weathering for there first time with Flory dark dirt. It's great that you can wipe if off with damp kitchen towel if you don't like result and apply again. The next step will be to apply a flat coat.

Vaughan.

View attachment 36829

View attachment 36830

View attachment 36831

View attachment 36832

View attachment 36833

View attachment 36834

View attachment 36835

View attachment 36836

View attachment 36837

View attachment 36838

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

View attachment 36841

View attachment 36842

View attachment 36843

View attachment 36844

View attachment 36845

View attachment 36846

_MG_0144.jpg

_MG_0164.jpg

_MG_0166.jpg

_MG_0169.jpg

_MG_0170.jpg

_MG_0171.jpg

_MG_0176.jpg

_MG_0177.jpg

_MG_0193.jpg

_MG_0194.jpg

_MG_0197.jpg

_MG_0198.jpg

_MG_0199.jpg

_MG_0212.jpg

_MG_0214.jpg

_MG_0216.jpg

_MG_0218.jpg

_MG_0219.jpg

First Name
Dave
Its coming on nicely Vaughan.I will be building the 1/48 Italeri version when i finally manage to finish my Black Widow.Hope it turns out as good as yours.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Vaughan, this is looking good so far.

Bit late now but looking at the gaps around the landing lights I have a suggestion which might help for the future. I use a canopy adhesive (Formula 560 by Pacer which I got from my local Modelzone a couple of years ago) for all my clear bits. It's easy to apply and can be cleaned up with water while it's setting. It dries clear and will capillate into small gaps very nicely, which is extremely useful when fitting canopies as it makes sure the joint is fully sealed so there's no chance of any spray penetrating into the cockpit when you paint. If you apply a bead around your lenses, you'll find it will fill any gaps quite nicely and you can mask and paint as normal once it has dried (It does unfortunately take a long time to set fully. Usually best to leave it at least 24 hours).

I've seen references to 'White glue' which is used for the same purpose and even for creating small 'windows'. You create a bubble of it on part of your opening and use a toothpick or similar to stretch it across the opening and it then dries flat and clear. I suspect this 'White glue' is probably just PVA in disguise, and as my canopy glue contains vinyl acetate polymer emulsion, it wouldn't surprise me to find that it is also PVA in disguise - especially as it smells absolutely identical to PVA! (One for Steve - our resident local chemist - perhaps?).

Gern

I

ian lanc

Looking good this oldie of an X Matchbox kit and remember the faults well and it seems

Revell hasn't bothered to repair/alter the moulds to make it a better kit.

On my model I removed an access panel so you could see into the fuselage.

cheers.

Ian.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent work vaughan , its looking really good now. The pilots cockpit canopy you mention was a rather strange arrangement , necessitated by the wing spars running through the cabin. The top section slid back over the top of the middle bit and the side sections slid downwards,rather like a car window, the top section always looked a little proud at the back when closed,so i think matchbox got it right. Keep at it, cant wait to see it done, although its only going to move mine closer to the front of the pending queue (it is a rather long queue!!)!!!! LOL cheers tony

First Name
Dave
I use 'Krystal Klear' to fill gaps between clear parts.Good for glueing them to the model as well.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Dave thanks for the advice and suggestions

The idea of using tamiya tape was not only to fill the gap around the lens but also my attempt to represent the ring that could be removed to replace bulbs and general maintenance.

Thanks again Vaughan

View attachment 36874

WL-landing-light.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I suspect this 'White glue' is probably just PVA in disguise, and as my canopy glue contains vinyl acetate polymer emulsion, it wouldn't surprise me to find that it is also PVA in disguise - especially as it smells absolutely identical to PVA! (One for Steve - our resident local chemist - perhaps?).Gern
Sounds like a very similar adhesive from the same group of chemicals called VACs which include all copolymers of vinyl acetate with acrylic and methacrylic acids and their esters. It's a copolymer because the big polymer molecule is made up of more than one monomer,vinyl acetate and something else.

The PVA emulsion is called a homopolymer because it is made up from a lot of the same monomer molecule,vinyl acetate.

They smell the same because they will probably share many chemicals in their formulation.

Great progress on the Lysander Vaughan,it's looking really good.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Steve

Thanks for baffling me with science. So it's a glue of sorts? . Are you a chemist by any chance?

Yeah the build is coming along I can see the end of the tunnel. There a few more tricky bits to sort out especially the wing roots and the canopy. But looking at a walk around image there appears to be overlapping aluminium skins on each wing that connect to the canopy so I might be able to use thin plastic card to overlap the wing and butt up to the canopy. This might save the day fingers crossed.

Vaughan

View attachment 36875

wing-root.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a good idea to use some thin plastic card. The old Lysander wasn't built for speed was it!

I used to be a chemist a very long time ago. Never got involved in adhesives but big carbon based molecules were my thing.VAC based glues and PVA are very similar.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Steve

I agree the Lysander wasn't built for speed but it could take off and land in the space of a football pitch!!

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

Well she's finally together. Still to add ariel mast and wire, top section of the canopy and plastic card to coverup the wing root gaps. One of the wing struts has pulled away slightly despite being taped so that will need to be re-glued. A few touch ups of paint and then my attempts at weathering. She's one big bird but should fit on the shelf (just!).

Vaughan

View attachment 36937

_MG_0264.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job vaughan.How about some pics taken in quite low light with a silhouette of the lysander, like the night time covert missions!? cheers tony