Revell 1/72 B17-G Flying Fortress.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Better and better Ron. Must take quite a leap of faith when you look at the first coat to know it will be OK. That first coat is an "Oh s**t, it's ruined" moment :smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

I've painted on the leading edges black and silver. Normally I would mark the lines with a pencil and work to these, but luckily, the leading edge panel lines were nice and distinct, so I was able to work the brush up to these to give me a straight line.

I've also added the butchered half cockpit and tidied things up as I went along and added a bit more weathering here an there.

P1350624.JPG

P1350642.JPG

P1350625.JPG

P1350640.JPG

Half cockpit frame fixed.
P1350639 (2).JPG

Ready for the decals. then I will add the wings. Finally fit the gun barrels and any other items that I might have otherwise knocked off!

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks boys.

I've painted on the leading edges black and silver. Normally I would mark the lines with a pencil and work to these, but luckily, the leading edge panel lines were nice and distinct, so I was able to work the brush up to these to give me a straight line.

I've also added the butchered half cockpit and tidied things up as I went along and added a bit more weathering here an there.

View attachment 471402

View attachment 471410

View attachment 471403

View attachment 471406

Half cockpit frame fixed.
View attachment 471408

Ready for the decals. then I will add the wings. Finally fit the gun barrels and any other items that I might have otherwise knocked off!

Cheers.
Ron
Love this,
I reckon that after this is finished we should all club together and buy you a full sized Tank to have a crack at....great work Ron..(as always)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That is really looking the part Ron. I hope none of the decals are half over a bit you've chopped out!

Jim and Rick. There in lies the truth.

So keen was I to have a crack at exposing one half of the B-17G, that I didn't give the decals on the port side a second's thought. As can be seen and judging by your posts, I suspect you've already sussed there is a big hole where most of the cracking nose artwork should go....

Not to worry and I'm certainly not bothered in the slightest. I'm having too much fun with the build. If nothing else, it's taught me to think things through properly before getting out the drill, saw (any type), file, teeth, pickaxe, scissors, hammer and chisel........ ;) :upside:

Thanks also to Chris for your excellent idea......

Ivor Maidda Missteakka

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul, Peter and Mick for your nice posts. :thumb2:

Decals on.
P1350644.JPG

Antenna wires done too.
P1350694.JPG

I took some of the pictures before I added the antenna. In fact nearly all are missing the wires. Bit of muck and dust added. Yes, I know it looks like silvering, but trust me it ain't.
P1350646.JPG

The nose art.
After me wrecking the wrong side of the aircraft :upside:, I've managed to salvage summat from the nose art. Obviously not accurate, but better than now't! It'll do me......
P1350645.JPG

Then you put the right wing on.......ta, ra
P1350643.JPG

Now chaps, here's one for you all to kind'a vote on....

I intend to show the nice engine details on the port wing. Here's where you good people come in.

Options.
Have both engines exposed, minus props.
" " " " plus props.
Have the port inner engine complete with prop and cover and leave the outer engine showing. (minus or plus prop.)
Have the outer finished - Inner showing. ( minus or plus prop)
S*d it! Have both engines complete with cover and props!.

I'm leaning towards option three with prop.

Over to my learned friends.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Inner engine opened up, outer engine covered, both with props.
Decals look nice. I knew you'd find a place for a pretty girl with minimal clothing.

I'd go for this with a slight caveat, how's about having bits of the actual prop cut down to match the opened up area of the nacelle...?
(just a thought, so don't hate me for the extra work involved..lol)