Discussion in 'Aeroplanes Under Construction' started by rickoshea52, Feb 6, 2017.
Looking forward to seeing this evolve Rick
Time to cut plastic so here are the sprue shots. This is the model that will have the engine on show.
The engine kit instructions confused me for a moment, when looking at the sketch showing the panels to cut out it appears to me that they are on the wing panel, in fact the panels that need removing are on the two fuselage halves.
The instructions are misleading with this sketch.
I have marked out in black the outline of the panels that need to be removed on the right hand side, the left hand side is the same.
After the panels have been removed.
A dry fit with the wings installed. After an evening tinkering I think this will have to be presented as a point in the engine change task as only the overwing access panels will be open with the top of the engine on view.
Nice cutting Rick
Looking good so far rick
Found this online hope it may be of some help
That is some major surgery!!
Thanks Colin. I have found this thread when researching this subject earlier, the pictures here seem to be the best there is and they are a valuable resource. What I picked out from them is the Unimog, camo netting and the engine change scene. My build won't be that in depth because the engine kit is quite limited in its use and I dont fancy scratch building the lifting jacks that are a seemingly unique feature of Harriers - I recall seeing the backing arrangement when on my rigger courses at Halton and Cosford, quite different to backing any other fixed wing aircraft.
Major surgery but well worth it Rick, looking forward to more.
I just buttoned this up, as you can see there is a gap between the two halves of the intake casing - this is my lousy assembly skills. However, there is a piece of resin with the engine kit that will cover part of the gap. The wings are not fixed on yet.
Engine, wings, tailplane and fin fitted along with a bulkhead moulding at the front of the wing section and a translator sleeve at the front of the engine.
The gun pods have two locating pins on them but the holes on the fuselage aren't there, just faint sink holes that need to be drilled out with care. The slots on the centreline will be filled but there is the option to fit a pylon in this position.
This is coming along very nicely Rick
I am following this one looking fantastic so far, keep up the good work.
The Unimog has been transformed from an orange abomination into a NATO potato green & black camouflage scheme. With the decals on a sealing coat of varnish will be applied before some light weathering then reassembly. The decals are spares from JB Models Landrover kits.
Nice work Rick
Liking this one Rick, looking good so far matey.
Have fun, John
All back together for the Unimog, next will be some light weathering and some bits to go in the load bed, maybe some wing mirrors.
I like that Unimog Rick. Harrier is coming along nicely, a good thing you didn't cut the wrong places earlier per the instructions
Excellent work rick , keep the updates coming its great to watch! Cheers tony
I found a pair of resin trailer loads from Kingfisher miniatures that I forgot I had, by good fortune they fit the load bed on the Unimog perfectly. This isn't really what you would find as a load, the limited photos I have seen of Unimogs in the field show them with a water tank - I assume for the Harrier's water aspiration system - but I cannot find a clear photo to scratch build an accurate replica.
Well I think the load works a treat Rick.
Separate names with a comma.