Scania 770s 6X4 Tamiya R/C 1/14

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Jeepers.

I did a few years as an apprentice auto electrician and that even scares me :smiling5:
HI Andy why ? yes on real cars it can be complex but on our models because in a models like Ian an i am doin the wirein is fairly simple as all we are doin is makin up a circut from the workin units like lights an motors an such but this is just my opinion
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
HI Andy why ? yes on real cars it can be complex but on our models because in a models like Ian an i am doin the wirein is fairly simple as all we are doin is makin up a circut from the workin units like lights an motors an such but this is just my opinion
chrisb
The trick is getting it to fit AND WORK

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just to let you know I still 'tickle' this one in quiet moments. The wiring is being a pain. I can do it it just take to much room. Add to that, that the 18 positions that I thought I had for light functions is in fact only 16. Turns out that there are TWO positive feeders in each socket so the 10 pin plug is only an 8 pin plug. No worries, I'll just start again. Sigh!
I forgot a photo befor I started but here is where I am at now.
20240126_102720.jpg
This is one of the headlight clusters. I had a fun job getting it to work. Mounted in place it would not work. Take it out, it worked... Turns out that the leg on the diode lowest in the photo was shorting out. The leg is supposed to support the rear board at right angels. They had just forgot to trim it down so it did not bridge the circuit board! Grr.
20240210_123712.jpg
Here you can see the front of the truck with the headlights fitted. The wires in the center are spotlights on the front grill. This gives an idea of the amount of wires there are to find a rute for.
20240211_123057.jpg
So here the wires that can be paired have been, so now the wires are fewer but longer. I also managed to break a few of fiddling about, but a soldering iron sorted those out. I will hopefully be in a place where the rear lights can connect to the relevant front ones, daylight running, positions, indicator and fog to name a few.
Then its the lights that are in the cabin that need sorting.

Comments and questions welcome.
Cheers

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Ian this wirein can be complex an it looks like yours is but keep on at it an you will get them all fitted an workin
chrisb

Gary G

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I can wait to see this lite up. Incredible amount of work.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
YES Ian this wirein can be complex an it looks like yours is but keep on at it an you will get them all fitted an workin
chris
I check that they are working as i go Chris and this is the third or forth go at it. Its a bit challenging to get the wires down from the 50 or so down to 16.

I can wait to see this lite up. Incredible amount of work.

So do I Gary.

The shop I bought it from said it looks impossible but once you have tried it three or four times it's quite easy. I was not aware that he mentioned 3 or 4 times on the same model! Lol.
The thing is space. There is not much room for anything in a tractor unit. A ship has a ton og room and you can almost throw things in and there is plenty room for more. Here everything has to be considered, tried and moved...several times. Thought I had it last time but I was a real challenge closing the cab down over the chassis!
Wire management is a challenge at the best of times, when it has to be hidden and out the way as to not catch on any moving parts or the ground......hmm.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bit more last night. The boss had a late meeting of the coven so I had some bonus play time...
20240211_205315.jpg
I managed to get the main wires from the rear lights ran up through the chassis and hopefully keep them clear of moving parts! I was a challenge to find a way up into the bottom of the cabin area. the large gearbox filling most of the room, the rest filled with the motor and a servo to change gear!
Anyhow I got there in the end. Also the wires from the side marking lights got paired off, routed and checked. Front and rear groups are now sorted. So what was 12 wires are now just 5. All the red wires are the positive feed so can all end up much the same place and reduce down to one or two wires. (there are two main connections to the controller).
Yes the tails are still overly long, but when I know the final terminations' position, they will be shortened down.
I need to put a bit of tube on the end of the dork plate to protect the wires a bit, or wrap them... hmm

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks RR. Today I actually figured I can get it all in the space there is and not have wires visible from outside! My biggest issue is getting it tidy. (OCD much lol).
It's never going to be seen inside, except by you lot. Problem two was how to find a place for the last wire. I got it all down to 17 wires. I have 16 slots. I ended up combining the roof lights which have two LED's in each side. so until I find a solution they are just extra brights! lol