Scotties Spad Xlll

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A question to the plane builders. What colour would the interior be? would it be a canvas colour or would the external paint colour leech through the fabric?
Anything fabric would be a paler version of the exterior colour. The doped fabric was semi transparent . obviously wood is wood coloured as Allen says…..though there are variations in colour depending on what wood they used….

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul,

From what I've seen and read up on, the interior of the cockpit would be a wood color, ie. Tamiya XF-59. If Eduard doesn't give you the details, go to scalemates and punch in 32047. It's the WnW's Albatross D.V (very similar) to yours. Scroll down and bring up the instructions. Use them for the coloring of the interior and all the little tidbits inside. You can cross reference the listed colors (mostly Tamiya and Humbrol) and use what you have O/H. The cockpits were made of wood and there wouldn't be any bleed through from the outside...
Thanks for that mate as my instructions do point out the wooden bits but doesn't say what the rest is so I will look up the kit on scale mates you have recommended.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Anything fabric would be a paler version of the exterior colour. The doped fabric was semi transparent . obviously wood is wood coloured as Allen says…..though there are variations in colour depending on what wood they used….
Cheers for that mate.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi guys a question for the wingy people what is it you use for panel lines and is there a particular colour that would be best for a red paint job.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi guys a question for the wingy people what is it you use for panel lines and is there a particular colour that would be best for a red paint job.
Personally I use a brown oil wash, I figure that pure black looks too stark, you can also use Tamiya Panel washes they seem to be quite good from what I've seen, Also, It might be worth a look at 'Flory washes', these are clay based and really do look spot on... there's also various colours/ tones you can choose from..

mucky grimey washy stuffy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
what is it you use for panel lines and is there a particular colour that would be best for a red paint job.
Anything reasonably darker than the base colour, I would say (as a small-time occassional aeroplane modeller :smiling3: ) — for most things, I tend to use a concoction made from varnish and black pigment, giving a translucent paint darker than Tamiya Smoke, but laborious to apply because it’s as thick as proper paint. On the positive side, it doesn’t run anywhere :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
On a red finish I would try something burnt umber coloured Scottie. Personally I find black a bit much on reds, and the underlying green tone in burnt umber shades the red nicely.
I’ve usually used washes made from oil paint and sansodor, but the drying time can be a pain so recently I’ve started using Vallejo model washes. They are a little awkward until you get the hang of them, but adding a little flow aid and working on a damp surface minimises the coffee staining.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Calling this finished. It proved to be a real tester for me as I was well out of my comfort zone. But Hopefully the wingy guys will be gentle on me.

DSCF3697.JPG
DSCF3698.JPG
DSCF3699.JPG
DSCF3702.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Now off to give it to the lady who asked me to build it. Hope she likes it.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
She will love it Paul, what's not too love!!

Yet another quality build and a lovely looking kit?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very well done Scottie!!! A top finish!!

Very well done.

Andrew

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Calling this finished. It proved to be a real tester for me as I was well out of my comfort zone. But Hopefully the wingy guys will be gentle on me.

View attachment 475240
View attachment 475241
View attachment 475242
View attachment 475243

cheers
Scottie

Now off to give it to the lady who asked me to build it. Hope she likes it.
Not if she was hoping it turned out looking like a Spad. :smiling5: :tears-of-joy:
Looks good Scottie and nothing to poke fun at. So will be seeing more wingy stuff from you then?

Cheers,
Wabble

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent Scottie. These WW1 planes can be fiddly but make great models.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not if she was hoping it turned out looking like a Spad. :smiling5: :tears-of-joy:
Looks good Scottie and nothing to poke fun at. So will be seeing more wingy stuff from you then?

Cheers,
Wabble
Cheers Wabble, For the moment I think I will stick with things that go along the ground but never say never lol.
Excellent Scottie. These WW1 planes can be fiddly but make great models.
Cheers Jim, They certainly have a lot more character than modern aircraft.
A fine job :thumb2:
Thank you Mark.