SD Kfz 222 (HobbyBoss) 1:35

I

Iwtcha

It looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished model

Cheers

Ivica

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic Ray as usual, cant wait till you get to the weathering.

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking like you've been busy again. I was wondering what had become of this, now I know.

Look forward to seeing the sand blasted version!

Ian M

S

sprayman

Thanks Steve, got 11 days to get her done before my Holiday...plenty off time to get the body beaten up, Thanks for the kind words and support, Ivica,Andy and Ian, always appreciated.

S

sprayman

Ok, part 1 of the beat up is done, waiting for the matt overcoat to dry then will be able to move on with part 2, which will be a desert wash to blend the colours together, then I can place the doors, hatches and exhaust.then start a pin wash and some added paint touches, and while they are drying I can make a start on the hatch nest and gun.

Thanks again for looking all.

S

sprayman

Managed to get the body washes complete, and the doors, hatches etc attached, can now start work on the gun and turret hatch cage, will need a pin wash when the whole job is complete.Comments always welcome and thanks for looking.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Holy Crap!! That is fantastic!

Ray You never fail to amaze me with your skills! I'm gobsmaked mate!

Silly question time: If a punter came in the shop and wanted a real car painted like that would you do it?

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

OMG, looks out of this world Ray, im going to hide my Tiger lol. Quick question, paint chipping, what color do you use for this, i have picked up that a few people use German Camo Brown, is that what you used here mate?

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Do you think if we ask Ray nicely he will do a tutorial along the same lines as that excellent one he did on face painting?

Go on; you know you want to. It'll give you some thing to think about on the flight to Japan. :smiling:

Ian M

S

sprayman

Your positive comments and feed back guys is so very kind and very much appreciated, and I thank each one of you,

Indeed Ian if anyone wanted their car painted like that, I would quote on it...lol, it would be far cheaper to buy an old Datsun though, they come ready rusted...lol, if you need a bash and beat tutorial, more than happy to do one, there is no real secret, but when you have a go at doing a well beaten tub then a photograph,colour or black and white helps so much, all you are doing is duplicating what you see in the pic.

Andy, I dont use German Camo brown, but what I do use is my own mix of Vallejo black (1 part) and Vallejo Chocolate Brown (3 parts), its just that touch darker, and dries dark aswell.

Once again guys many thanks for the positive input.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ray , superb work , the worn and battered paint is excellent , this poor girl looks like shes had a hard time of it in the desert! Top stuff ! cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Ray, the effect is truely stunning. The tutorial will be just as stunnning im sure. get to tat Tiger mate, cant wait to see you tackle the job.

Andy

F

Fenlander

Bloody hell Ray, give us mere mortals a break!!!!!! That is one distressed little car but it looks soooo real. I have yet to try the chipping and wear, I too would appreciate knowing your way of working. I have seen it done on the videos but I never seem to get it right.

L

Lancasterb1

Ray that us a fantastic piece of paintwork you have done there! That looks really beaten hp and as if it has had a hard life! Brilliant!

Andy

S

sprayman

Many thanks Tony, Graham and Andy, for your very kind words and support,Just working on the Gun and cage at present, the exhaust still needs some work to it, but I will wait until have applied the last protective coat, then when I do the final pin wash,I can age the exhaust a tad more.

Over the next few days I will get a tutorial done for you guys, as after this is finished, I dont want to start anything else until I get back from Japan, one of the key points in chipping any model I have found is not to be to uniform, and be as random as possible, but I think chipping is comes into its own when you apply a wash, this I find just blends it all into one.

I do enjoy making my own washes, so you guys who like to buy them "ready mixed"may have to put them away and mix your own..lol

For the eagled eyed among you, you may have noticed that I painted the inner doors desert yellow, well while reading about this tub, I found out that they painted them desert yellow, due to the simple fact that when stood, the white interior paint broke the camouflage, when the doors where open, as was quite the norm due to the heat.

Last edited:
S

sprayman

Well I got the gun and cage sorted, so the job is all done bar the shouting, just a few detail pin washes to do but more or less complete.

This has been a very nice kit to build, crisp, no flashing, a few tight fit issues, but nothing your trusty file wont cure, the big plus of this kit is the detail and it required no filler at all.

If your a DAK fan than this kit should be in your collection, thanks again for all the support and very kind words through out this build.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Top work Ray mate, the weathering is spot on. I'd give my back teeth to get chipping like that.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
simply BEAUTIFUL! Top class work ray ,faultless . The thing about this is that it doesnt look in any way that its plastic -it looks as if its metal! PLEASE take us some shots outside next time we get a clear bkue sky . it will look stunning with a sky background, cheers tony