Sd.Kfz.251/17

S

sprayman

Well guys this is my new project to get me back in the swing of things again.

This Sd.Kfz.251/17 is rather interesting as it has a lot of detail and it has the option to show the full gun and gun decking area.

So far its at the very early stage and had a few close fit niggles but, a touch of the old body filler has sorted that out...I felt the chassis so far is a tad warped, so I hope its just this part that is out of line, but nothing to serious to solve, I still need to fill a few gaps on the steering rods, a touch of filler here and there will sort that.

The level of detail in this kit is very good and defined, so with the aid of the PE and other touches in this kit, I must say I have high hopes for it.

This however wont be a straight forward build and paint, I feel it will need many sub sections to build and paint in various sequences, as I think it will be the only way to really get to see the detail.

So a good model to get my paint skills back in line...lol

The internal gear box and fuel tank are very well detailed, shame however it will never be seen, but its good to get your moneys worth and get some practice in on painting some detail.

So the start is made and look forward to building this through, and info or tips as you know are always welcome.

Thanks for reading all.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
I've only built one half track in my years but I want another and this one looks interesting so I will keep up with your build... It's nice box art so if yours looks like that your on for a nice model

J

John Huggins

Looking good Ray, will be keeping an eye on this one.

John

J

James Q

That looks like a lovely model too build, keep looking at these and get tempted tp buy one and do some thing different for a change.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ray we'll be expecting you to live up to your own high reputation on this one :smiling3:

I'll be checking in to make sure.

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Good to have you guys on board and the support and help that brings.....will do my best with this...no pressure then...lol

J

JFJ

This build log may be useful:

BP Models :: View topic - DML Sdkfz 251-17 Ausf C Luftwaffe Version

S

sprayman

Cheers Andy, thanks for viewing....Nice link Adrian, now that will be a great help....its already answered a question of what the inner paint colour would be....very much appreciated..

Well I have a few jobs under the heat lamps so thought I would just get a bit more done on the gearing area, will brush blend some areas when its dry, then I will add a cover of matt varnish just to dull it down before it goes out of view forever....ahhh well, at least I know its there...:smiling5:

S

sprayman

Thanks Ian...ok moved on to the seats while a few things are drying, used the old foil trick to give some texture to the seats, then when dried I just give it a paint job, with a little wash and some chipping to show a few old well sat in seats. I will be moving on to the dash and driving area next.

Thanks for reading all

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tin foil! Brilliant I would never of thought of that in a million years!

Two well sat in and abused seats!

Ian M

S

sprayman

Cheers Ian, indeed it gives a nice effect, use PVA as the adhesive and it will really pull it in and tighten when it dries.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
what an beautiful idea my hats off to you for the seats its all in the detail keep the pics coming

geegad

S

sprayman

Just had time to take a quick snap of how the interior is looking, will need a dull coat but I like to leave it for a few days before I get that sprayed.Onwards now with the exterior, and the wheels...

Ray

T

treyzx10r

Ray ,great looking build going on ! The seats look perfect as does the rest of the interior. Brings me back to that killer job you did on the 110 office a while back. Sure is great to see the master back and in full swing already,cheers Trey

S

sprayman

Many thanks for the support and very kind words Trey, very much appreciated.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Beautiful job so far Ray. It's good to see you back where you left off!

I've used tape on seat cushions but never foil. I love the effect,it really looks abused.

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

Cracking idea Ray, will keep that stored for the future.

Are you doing the chipping the normal way or do you have an inovative method for that too .....