Sd.Kfz.251/17

S

sprayman

Many thanks Steve and Colin, thanks for reading...no secret method to chipping ....I just use a mix of vallejo chocolate, with a touch of black, then the trusted sponge method, I use 2 sponges, to avoid the chips looking to even. I do over abuse my builds, but in my mind I look at my builds as if they are at the end of the war, pretty neglected, abused and un loved.

I do things an odd way, I sponge first then brush chip after...that way I sort of get an eye of where to touch up and get a worn feel.

Thanks for reading guys.

Ray

C

CDW

Thanks for the insight to your method Ray,

I tried using a brush after the sponge method but it looked a bit odd.... seems more practice needed methinks

S

sprayman

Just a little update on this, had time to get a bit more done on this tub, just worn the inner with some muck wash, and did the same to the wheels.....the wheels will be getting a further weathering with powders when the wheels get fixed on.

Thanks for reading.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
That's some beat up vehicle real nice weathering top chips.!!!!

Keep up the good work

Geegad

M

mobear

its real nice(maybe you should have a wlcm mat to wipe their feet)lol

A

andygh

I'm thinking there's gonna be loads of tinfoil covered seats appearing around here soon :muha:

What a genius idea though :respect1:

J

James Q

That weathering looks stunning, very well done, and love the idea with the tin foil!

B

beav1013

that really looks amazing and like it's been sitting out in the field and beat up for years. i'm going to use that foil trick on my current project. very nice.

S

sprayman

Thank you all for the kind words, and encouragement....cheers guys..

Plus I have now found the Thanks button, which will help me show my appreciation.

Wish I could take credit for the foil trick, its been a number of years since I learned that in an article.

Ray

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Ray, real quality stuff, and I look forward to seeing the final model. Also really nice to see you back in the modelling groove:thumbsup:

Isn't the thank you button to thank people for useful information rather than simply just a thank you for I kind word or a compliment? This isn't a criticism of you or anyone else (I've seen quite a few members use it in this way), I'll just start using it more if this is the case!

Look forward to the next update

All the best

Paul

S

sprayman

Many thanks Paul, appreciate your kind words......good point on the Thanks button....I must admit I have just really noticed it, but you hold a valid point...

Maybe someone can explain the full use of it.....

Thanks again

Ray

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I believe the original idea behind the thanks button was as Paul has said. However it is just being used as a general thank you button. I don't think that there is any problem in that as I have no idea what the collected 'votes' are used for if any thing.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's cool. I think I may continue to thank people in replies and keep the button for any useful tips, or reference but that's just my preference as I think the button may begin to have no meaning at all. The ratings don't come into it for me it's just that I think it's easier to scan posts for anything useful in this way - should you require something specific you can just scan for the thumbs up.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit! But with it does mean I can thank you (Ray) for the foil trick on the seat covers (regardless of whether it's your original idea or not) thanks for sharing!

All the best

Paul

S

sprayman

Many thanks guys for shedding some light and info on the Thanks button....Your welcome Paul on sharing the foil trick.

Ok been preparing the body for the long start on roughing the tub up, then I can start the slow process of really chipping her up, so after the primer is placed, I kind of pre shade to show wear to help me get an eye for where to rough her up. Once thats dry I paint the body colour, then highlight further the worn or bleached areas with a very dilute german grey.

Thanks for reading all

Ray

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm gobsmacked with the interior Ray, nice work with that mate. Can't wait for the rest, and you're off to a good start too.

Have fun, John

S

sprayman

Many thanks John, ok so now I have added the chipping and the first muck wash, trying to give it an abandoned and old feel, so while thats drying away will make a start on the tracks and gun., when the wash has dried I will give it a pin wash in certain areas.

Thanks for reading .

Ray

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bloody hell Ray! We mere mortals don't stand a chance.

Still its nice to see you have not forgotten how to beat the &¤#" out of a plastic kit and make it look like seriously abused and neglected metal- That is fantastic.

Ian M

D

dubster72

That's really good Ray, a very good representation of worn metal on a battered halftrack.

I wonder if it would be allowed to get in such a bad state though!

Patrick