Skif 1/35 KMBD T-55AK Tank (00225)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris2681

\ said:
So basically Chris, you're saying that criticism isn't allowed?
Frankly if someone posts pictures of a build with gross errors like this, it's incumbent on the viewer to point it out.

And as this particular guy has built about 8-10 examples of essentially the same kit, I have no problem with drawing his attention to his mistakes.

If this was someone's 1st build, I'd give

them a well done for their effort, but that's not the case here.

In all honesty, I think builds like this are something of an insult to all those people who spend hours building, filling, sanding & scratchbuilding to get their stuff just right.

Sometimes I wonder if chucking glue onto a bunch of kit parts would still merit a " great build " on this forum! Come on people, where's our pride, endeavour & freedom to speak our minds? Great countries were built on those qualities & tyranny always seeks to stifle them.
Dude imo you take things too seriously. I thought this site was a place for people with a common interest to show their models. I was not aware that its a competitive site and every ones work had to meet certain standards. I mean you can really say your insulted by this mans modeling skill? Really? It insults you? I think his skill is below average at best too, but guess what, if I don't like his builds I wont look at them! But to insult someones efforts is just wrong imo. I have a great idea, and if im wrong let me know. The next time you see one of this guys builds posted , don't look at it if you know it will insult you.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
"In all honesty, I think builds like this are something of an insult to all those people who spend hours building, filling, sanding & scratchbuilding to get their stuff just right."

I disagree with this comment strongly. Like most of us I spend hours building models to the best of my ability and trying so hard to get it right. I certainly don't find the efforts of others insulting. I've been around railway modellers for long enough to know how snooty some can be about other model makers and quite frankly I find them a bore. Sadly, this sort of attitude has the effect of driving people out of a hobby that has so much to offer.

C

chris2681

Constructive criticism and plain old criticism are two different things. I gave constructive criticism, and helpful tips to help him improve. "OOH NOT GOOD" is not constructive.

D

dubster72

\ said:
Dude imo you take things too seriously. I thought this site was a place for people with a common interest to show their models. I was not aware that its a competitive site and every ones work had to meet certain standards. I mean you can really say your insulted by this mans modeling skill? Really? It insults you? I think his skill is below average at best too, but guess what, if I don't like his builds I wont look at them! But to insult someones efforts is just wrong imo. I have a great idea, and if im wrong let me know. The next time you see one of this guys builds posted , don't look at it if you know it will insult you.
Chris this is a friendly forum, but if you think that there's no element of competitiveness, you're deluding yourself! We're all competitive, whether we admit it or not - that's what spurs us on to become better at what we do, be it model making or whatever.

And yes, seeing poor builds again & again does insult me! The hours I spend trying to improve & then someone pops that dog on here? Damn right I'm peeved by it!

But I'm ever hopeful of seeing something better, so that's why I always look.

And there's a difference between insulting & giving constructive criticism - I haven't insulted the guy (ok maybe NOW I have!) , but let him speak up for himself!

D

dubster72

\ said:
Constructive criticism and plain old criticism are two different things. I gave constructive criticism, and helpful tips to help him improve. "OOH NOT GOOD" is not constructive.
So where were you on his previous builds Chris?

D

dubster72

\ said:
"In all honesty, I think builds like this are something of an insult to all those people who spend hours building, filling, sanding & scratchbuilding to get their stuff just right."
I disagree with this comment strongly. Like most of us I spend hours building models to the best of my ability and trying so hard to get it right. I certainly don't find the efforts of others insulting. I've been around railway modellers for long enough to know how snooty some can be about other model makers and quite frankly I find them a bore. Sadly, this sort of attitude has the effect of driving people out of a hobby that has so much to offer.
So you're in the " say nothing, no matter how bad it is " camp Rick?

Fair enough, I respect your opinion even if I disagree with it.

C

chris2681

Look Patrick . I believe in the old saying that if you don't have something nice to say don't say it. You the type of guy that would coach a little league game and not play a kid cause he sucks? We all have hobbies and interests and all have different skill levels in them. All im saying is im sure he isn't posting to impress you rather than just sharing his works and maybe looking at ours because he feels we all have a common interest.

\ said:
Chris this is a friendly forum, but if you think that there's no element of competitiveness, you're deluding yourself! We're all competitive, whether we admit it or not - that's what spurs us on to become better at what we do, be it model making or whatever.
And yes, seeing poor builds again & again does insult me! The hours I spend trying to improve & then someone pops that dog on here? Damn right I'm peeved by it!

But I'm ever hopeful of seeing something better, so that's why I always look.

And there's a difference between insulting & giving constructive criticism - I haven't insulted the guy (ok maybe NOW I have!) , but let him speak up for himself!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Frankly if someone posts pictures of a build with gross errors like this, it's incumbent on the viewer to point it out.

And as this particular guy has built about 8-10 examples of essentially the same kit, I have no problem with drawing his attention to his mistakes.

In all honesty, I think builds like this are something of an insult to all those people who spend hours building, filling, sanding & scratchbuilding to get their stuff just right.

Sometimes I wonder if chucking glue onto a bunch of kit parts would still merit a " great build " on this forum! Come on people, where's our pride, endeavour & freedom to speak our minds? Great countries were built on those qualities & tyranny always seeks to stifle them.
YOU TELL EM PATRICK ! Sorry Son and folks I must wholeheartedly agree. Just a mo , no I'm not sorry, I for one know how many hours I spend sometimes just on one small element of a build or a dio and then suddenly trash it because I didn't feel it was convincing "enough". No one is saying everyone should have such fanatical zeal, but lets try to have a bit of respect for those of us that do. No one is insulting his work, no one will ever improve if mediocrity is praised. As I stated before, why belong to a forum such as this if not to seek feedback? And may I say in closing only to Chris......... BUGGER OFF ! :P

C

chris2681

\ said:
So where were you on his previous builds Chris?
Ive seen them all. I had nothing nice to say about them. Also they were from before I joined this site.If he is going to post new stuff I will give him ideas on improving them.

T

Tibbs

\ said:

I thought it was a bit harsh when i initially started reading the thread, straight in for the kill so's to speak....... Didnt know about the previous same type builds, so in this context its a fair point.

N

noble

Ok I've commented on this gents builds before, which I will honestly say we're better than this one, it is however his kit to build what ever way he likes. We don't have to comment if we don't like it, however the conspiracy theorist in me says that this was posted up to get a reaction, maybe just to see how people actually react but I do also agree with the statement that this chap has never made any posts to either ask for help or advice or even defend his builds and I find that a little strange; maybe he feels we are not as friendly as we all like to say we are, I don't know the answer to that one only the man himself may be able to tell us.... but then again why should he?

Scott

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

:eek: You all probably scared him off with this conversation LOL That's why he isn't replying

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
So you're in the " say nothing, no matter how bad it is " camp Rick?
Fair enough, I respect your opinion even if I disagree with it.
You're too bleedin' right I am. This is a forum not a competition. If you'd gone to a show and paid money expecting to see the finest models ever you'd have good reason to feel insulted.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Ive seen them all. I had nothing nice to say about them. Also they were from before I joined this site.If he is going to post new stuff I will give him ideas on improving them.
I really hate to see this turn into a slogging match, I'd like to hope it's still good natured banter. Everyone has there own feelings on the matter and it is unlikely we'll change each others minds. It's OK to critique and lord knows we're all so modest about our work:rolleyes: You know what they say even bad publicity is better than none! he should take advantage of it, and yes if he sucks I ain;t playin im ! OH! and Chris.... oh never mind.......

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Isn't there a corner of this forum for the explicit use of critiqueing models that members voluntarily put forward?

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Dear TJO. I am perfectly aware of the occasion that hulls may not fit together perfectly all the time. May I suggest using liquid Plastistruct glue in the future. Ive used it a few times to get hulls together and it always worked. I will leave the turret off and place a weight (in my case a rock I grabbed from the wifes garden) and place it on top of the hull and brush the plastistruct glue on the seems and leave it overnight. Trust me it works wonders and you wont have negative feedback next time. Hope this info helps.
Chris.
From Tjo...to Chris.......... crickets............... :P

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
That's cause you stuff is REALLY sub par. As for my previous post, a don't know. He is the one spending his money on this kits (and we know their not exactly cheap by any means) and he is the one looking at them on his shelf. So if he is happy with the way they look and takes pleasure in buying and building them , who are we to say negative things to him about them. Im the type of guy who got into fist fights in high school with big jocks cause they were picking on someone smaller then them. I realize his builds may not meet our standards but if hes happy with them, we shouldn't rain on his parade.
that was your own brother you dummy

D

dougie

Well that escalated quickly

View attachment 101480

I think all sides make fair points. I'm not confrontational at all, I'm pretty thoughtful and very polite but Tjo just seems to post a few pics and not get involved in other people's threads etc... I agree we should give constructive criticism but I took the harder criticism as a bit tongue in cheek. I would like him to retort and to see how he feels about his own builds.

I fully agree that no harm can come and no improvement will be made without some criticism either but it should be friendly unless he unleashes some heated words himself.

Or we could just not post on his threads haha

e31.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

come on guys and gals! This hobby is about enjoyment. It is not all about getting things right. Hobbies are a pursuit to bring yourself satisfaction of building something. Of course, people have different skills and different opinions, but the core purpose of this forum is that we should help others out. I have a very high standard concerning models now, but everyone has to start somewhere. As dougie said, we should give constructive criticism and encouragement,not destructive criticism

John

Status
Not open for further replies.