Spanner's Academy 1/72 Catalina PBY-5A, Maritime S.A.R.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very impressive young Ron! Did you use a brush for those letters or some sort of pen?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your excellent, informative and humorous feedback, Gents.

Dave, thanks again for all you help with this project. I hope I'm doing it justice with the limited resources at my disposal, both wot's in my bit box and the depth of my purse!

I brush painted the letters with a Humbrol No. 2 brush from an Airfix Starter pack.

Here's one for you, chaps.....
This afternoon I dry fitted the wing. Talk about a tail sitter! I know tricycle under carriages can be notorious for this feenameenam, but it took 3 bottles of Vallejo paint resting across the nose to bring the nose wheel down to earth!
I weighed the 3 bottles. 70gms or around 2.5ozs in old money. Not a problem in itself, as I could simply glue the front wheel to a base, or stuff summat heavy in it's sno***r. But had I fixed the canopy before this exercise and wanted to push the thing around, I would have been up a creek.

Lesson learned from my first tricycle aircraft.......

Take note any would be builders of this aircraft.;)

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Would that I could find one in 1-87 scale! I have much PBY envy Mr. Ron. Glad you got the nose back to earth w/o too much stress. Excellent painting on this critter........she is really coming to life. PCO Sir. :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rick and Ernie for your nice comments.

Floats and props. added.

Just a couple of fragile sticky out bits to add - last job! ;)

I haven't done squeaky clean prop. tips, (or any other part really) as this aircraft has seen some action....
P1350758.JPG

P1350759.JPG

P1350760.JPG

P1350761.JPG

As good as ready for plonking on the hull. ( or whatever you wish to call the big bit wot the wing sits on)

Cheers all and thanks for looking in,
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a lot of weight. Sticking the front wheel down sounds a better option. The nose wheel under carriage would be under a lot of pressure with 70+ grms.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks.

Quite right Jim. easiest fix to glue the b****r down!

As peeps might remember, I'm too impatient and clumsy to use canopy masks, and in any case I prefer to spend the money saved buying another kit!

Here are the two blisters and the cockpit canopy, brush painted freehand. A bit of a pain, but I had no other option. Near enough for me and I'm well glad they're done and out of the way.

P1350762.JPG

P1350763.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
WOW! great job free handing the frames on the canopies! Much steadier hands then I have.
You're right there Ernie. He finds that half a bottle of single malt and the shakes just disappear. If he has more than half a bottle his hand is still steady but the eyesight is shot. Also according to Mrs Ron he tends to fall asleep before the job's done. :smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
........... according to Mrs Ron he tends to fall asleep before the job's done. :smiling:

That happened on my wedding night! Much like any other night come to think of it.

Thanks a bundle for reminding me......

Casanova II

Thanks for all the great posts from my buddies on here too.

Ron

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That happened on my wedding night! Much like any other come to think of it.

Thanks a bundle for reminding me......

Casanova II

Poor Justine does seem to have to put up with a lot! What with having to spend all her spare time being your official chucker upperer and then having to wait at home while you're out carousing at all hours with that reprobate Idu and his Zulu buddies!

Talkin' of which, when's your next venture back into the world of construction? I bet Idu and his lads are fed up of hanging around in The Clacker with nothin' to do!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yo Dave.
I doubt she'll be a chucker with this, more a paddler, some time soon.... ;)

I have a few ideas kicking about for Idu and his mates. Very soon too, as I'm getting fed up picking up the tab from the 'Clacker'!

On with the build.

Cockpit canopy and blisters fixed.

Had me a bit of luck with the decals. I managed to find some suitable small black number decals in my decal bag.

P1350771.JPG

P1350772.JPG

Tail sitting temp. sorted by shoving the tail section against the background card!
P1350773.JPG

Time to finally attach the wing - Nearly.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yo Dave.
I doubt she'll be a chucker with this, more a paddler, some time soon.... ;)

I have a few ideas kicking about for Idu and his mates. Very soon too, as I'm getting fed up picking up the tab from the 'Clacker'!

On with the build.

Cockpit canopy and blisters fixed.

Had me a bit of luck with the decals. I managed to find some suitable small black numbers.

View attachment 472766

View attachment 472767

Tail sitting temp. sorted by shoving the tail section against the background card!
View attachment 472768

Time to finally attach the wing - Nearly.

Cheers.
Ron
Coming on very nicely. Looks really weird without the wing though, almost like the gondola off of an airship……