spanner's Tamiya 1/700 U.S.S. 'Big E' Carrier.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
P1350606.JPG

For my contribution to Karl's G.B., I'm building the U.S.S. Enterprise 'Big E' aircraft carrier.

As usual I won't be using my beer tokens on any aftermarket stuff. I get all the fun I need from O.O.T.B. builds, so it might be a bit boring. However.....

I read a while back that during the campaign, the U.S. Pacific Fleet encountering a terrible tropical storm. Such was it's severity, that numerous vessels were sunk, including two destroyers with all hands lost.

I intend to try and model Enterprise in these big seas.

Here's the obligatory sprue shot.

P1360394.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome aboard me 'arties!

Don't even think about smuggling a parrot on board - Any of you's! :unamused:

Affectionately Yours,

Vice-Admiral William 'Bull' Halsey

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 Due to import restrictions Polly is unable to join the crew ,he sends his regards :disappointed:

How ever I will be sitting high up on the beach well out of the way .

453 beach combing .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I heard that dam parrot has a full time job at the "Clacker".... redecorating the hand railing. Every time he lands on one he " redecorates" it!.....mind where you put yer hands, they might come up a bit smelly! I'm in 570....looks like the chucker we all know and love will be out of work temporarily! ;)

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I heard that dam parrot has a full time job at the "Clacker".... redecorating the hand railing. Every time he lands on one he " redecorates it!.....mind where you put yer hands, they might come up a bit smelly! I'm in 570....looks like the chucker we all know and love will be out of work temporarily! ;)
well at least on the clacker 's hand rail is better than 570's captain's hat where he decorated it last time then an poor 570 put his hat on lol :rolling: ;) :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :crying:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking start with the 'Crack'. Good stuff chaps......

I've made a start on 'Big 'E'
I'll be painting her in later campaign colours.
Brush painted using Vallejo Air.

There is choice. Hanger deck shutters up or down. Due to the impending rough seas, mine are down. Also, it saves me having to paint the interior. ;)
P1360397.JPG

P1360398.JPG

Flight deck ready for fixing to the hull.
P1360399.JPG

The middle bit.
P1360400.JPG

She received quite a battering by the enemy during her time in the Pacific, so once the initial painting is complete, I'll try and make her look a tired, but still fighting lady.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Cracking start with the 'Crack'. Good stuff chaps......

I've made a start on 'Big 'E'
I'll be painting her in later campaign colours.
Brush painted using Vallejo Air.

There is choice. Hanger deck shutters up or down. Due to the impending rough seas, mine are down. Also, it saves me having to paint the interior. ;)
View attachment 480976

View attachment 480977

Flight deck ready for fixing to the hull.
View attachment 480978

The middle bit.
View attachment 480979

She received quite a battering by the enemy during her time in the Pacific, so once the initial painting is complete, I'll try and make her look a tired, but still fighting lady.

Cheers.
Ron
Battoned down would be correct procedure for heavy seas 570.....On my last cruise in the Med, aboard USS Intrepid we were in the heavies and still shipped over 2 feet of water onto the hangar deck!