spanner's Tamiya 1/700 U.S.S. 'Big E' Carrier.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, Jim and Geoff.

Thanks for the nice comments.
As with all my builds, sea included, I try and use 'Everyday' stuff that is sort of lying about. At the other end of our game, there are folks who spend big wonga on ready made stuff.

That is what is great about model making. It doesn't matter to any of us what the cost was, as long as the builder is happy with the end result.

I'm also well chuffed that members extract some tips and hints from my builds. Perhaps enough to 'ave a go themselves.

Update....
Using more silicone, I've added some more action to the sea. Down the sides of the carrier and a nice big thumper at the bow!

P1360614.JPG

I've forgot the rigging! I'll do a token amount. I believe a model ship should have at least some rigging, no matter how basic.

Also, I'll add some of the kit supplied aircraft. On the subject of which, and I could well be wrong, this is my thinking. :upside: With notice of the coming severe storm, I've reasoned the bomb and torpedo carrying aircraft would not be able to take off, so would be sent below and secured. Some of the fighters would be lashed down on the deck, ready should they be needed in a hurry in the unlikely event they were attacked. Does this make sense, or am I talking bo****ks - Again!

Cheers all.

Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rick. Glad you like me 'oggin.

The poor thing's getting tossed about enough without Mrs. Ron getting her bippy in!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul and Mick. Glad you approve thus far...... :thumb2:

Update.
The Corsair and Wildcat fighters are done and fixed to the deck. The decals were a pain to do. I've left off the underside ones. Good job I only needed half of the supplied number of aircraft as well!

P1360728.JPG

P1360730.JPG

Just the rigging to do and a bit of 'Fettling', then she's done.
No, I won't be adding propellers to the aircraft. :upside:

Cheers.
Ron

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul and Mick. Glad you approve thus far...... :thumb2:

Update.
The Corsair and Wildcat fighters are done and fixed to the deck. The decals were a pain to do. I've left off the underside ones. Good job I only needed half of the supplied number of aircraft as well!

View attachment 483214

View attachment 483213

Just the rigging to do and a bit of 'Fettling', then she's done.
No, I won't be adding propellers to the aircraft. :upside:

Cheers.
Ron
Excellent stuff all round there Ron. :smiling3:
Those teeny weeny planes are superb, lovely job. ;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES 570 VERY EXCELLENT job an yes youve got it all right spot on only hope my tiger doent get in such rough seas lol
chrisb

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work matey , that rough sea is scary , i can imagine the ship being battered , poor buggers below decks . Tiny aircraft look great too , cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Here's Mr. Ketchup at it again, Ron. I thought you were landing on D-Day and here you are flying wing thingy's off the deck in tidal waves on the Pacific!!! There are two things that puzzle me and the first is how do you get your water/sea to look so realistic? I know you use silicone for the waves, but the coloring of the water is incredible. Second, is how in the hell did you get the decals on those gnats? Painting them must have been a chore, but decals that tiny???...If I had them tiny thangs on my finger, I would have grabbed the flyswatter and give them a good whack!!! Unbelievable work Sir!!!...

Prost (and armed with bug spray)
Allen

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
OK 570...you're for it now! In heavy seas such as yours you'll need double tiedowns at each tiedown point.....two per wing and two at the tail wheel. I'm just unsure of where you are going to find tiedown chains and turnbuckles that small??? :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: ;);):thumb2:
Don't forget the covers over the canopy's!!!!
Your remark brought back some memories Rick.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your positive comments chaps.

Re. the decals, I've seen you guys fix smaller than these on the excellent modern jets you produce - and a darn sight more than three per aircraft....

Allen. I just paint a light blue/ green first, then I go a bit darker with the same colours until I'm happy with the result.

Speaking of D. Day, it's the 79th Anniversary of the landings tomorrow. I was aiming to get the Omaha Beach diorama finished in time - And I have. Just! ;)

Rick and Doug. You really must try harder.
I don't need to model any of the things you expect on these diddy aircraft of mine.

You see, 'Bull' Halsey has got word that a large land based kamikaze formation is on it's way to attack the U.S. Fleet. Being a bit of a firebrand, and despite the awful weather, he has quickly ordered his fighters airborne. So all the tiedowns and canopy covers have been removed. The pilots are in their cockpits and hanging on, engines warming up (That is why you can't see the props).

Once airborne they hope to intercept and destroy the enemy and then they have orders to head for, and land at Midway Island.

Boing! Oh dear, I seem to be off the hook - Once more.:tongue-out3:

Your Servant.
Boris

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks for all your positive comments chaps.

Rick and Doug. You really must try harder.
I don't need to model any of the things you expect on these diddy aircraft of mine.

You see, 'Bull' Halsey has got word that a large land based kamikaze formation is on it's way to attack the U.S. Fleet. Being a bit of a firebrand, and despite the awful weather, he has quickly ordered his fighters airborne. So all the tiedowns and canopy covers have been removed. The pilots are in their cockpits and hanging on, engines warming up (That is why you can't see the props).

Once airborne they hope to intercept and destroy the enemy and then they have orders to head for, and land at Midway Island.

Boing! Oh dear, I seem to be off the hook - Once more.:tongue-out3:

Your Servant.
Boris
Nice recovery!!! :thumb2: :smiling5::smiling5: