spanner's Tamiya 1/700 U.S.S. 'Big E' Carrier.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Rick, thanks.
I seem to recall the good ship Poseidon in the 1972 'Poseidon Adventure' was capsized by a freak wave in the Med. So you were very lucky! ;)

Yours.
Gene Hackman. (Rev.)

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Meanwhile, back at the build ;)

I've added some light blue to the sea. Always start with a light colour, then gradually go darker. Use as big and wide a paint brush as you can handle.

Don't worry if it's patchy. That's the idea!
...and certainly don't be concerned about any lumps, bumps, holes and any 'Odd bits'.

P1360579.JPG

P1360581.JPG

P1360580.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good Ron. :smiling3:
I've always been intrigued about how to go about making a seascape, I'm following this very closely,so your details on the process is most welcome ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As entertaining as the trips down memory lane is at times, can we try to let Ron get on with his build thread with less military memoirs.
In your own thread fine, in chit chat fine. But let's try to respect other people's threads. Especially build threads.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As entertaining as the trips down memory lane is at times, can we try to let Ron get on with his build thread with less military memoirs.
In your own thread fine, in chit chat fine. But let's try to respect other people's threads. Especially build threads.
Apologies Ron :anguished:
Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
No probs. chaps. :thumb2:
For a while I thought I was at a reunion in a NAAFI canteen, not on a scale model forum. Wink, Wink!

Thanks Jim. We're getting there and thanks for your support along the way.

Onwards and upwards......

I've given the sea a slightly darker second coat. Because acrylics are water based, they are, to a degree, transparent, so providing subsequent coats are thin enough, the first coat will show through the second and so on.

Although the sky was full of contrails (whatever) I couldn't resist getting out in the sun for these pictures.

Here you can see a 'hit and miss' effect with the paintbrush. The lighter colour shows through.
Also, see the crack at the stern? Don't worry about such detail. Fix it later. Just get the paint on and then sit back and take a blimp.
P1360582.JPG

P1360585.JPG

P1360591.JPG

P1360584.JPG

P1360589.JPG

The bright sun gives great shadows too...... The painting will show up minor 'Imperfections' (Bottom right) Don't worry, All that sort of nonsense can be sorted later - If you want to.
P1360587.JPG

The sea needs to be a tad darker, then I can start to add some silicone.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
No probs. chaps. :thumb2:
For a while I thought I was at a reunion in a NAAFI canteen, not on a scale model forum. Wink, Wink!

Onwards and upwards......

I've given the sea a slightly darker second coat. Because acrylics are water based, they are, to a degree, transparent, so providing subsequent coats are thin enough, the first coat will show through the second and so on.

Although the sky was full of contrails (whatever) I couldn't resist getting out in the sun for these pictures.

Here you can see a 'hit and miss' effect with the paintbrush. The lighter colour shows through.
Also, see the crack at the stern? Don't worry about such detail. Fix it later. Just get the paint on and then sit back and take a blimp.
View attachment 482639

View attachment 482640

View attachment 482642

View attachment 482643

View attachment 482644

The bright sun gives great shadows too......
View attachment 482646

The sea needs to be a tad darker, then I can start to add some silicone.

Cheers.
Ron
That's looking superb!! :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice shots 570......looks the Bomb!! Too bad about the Chem Con trails, sorta detracts from the pics. But you'll get through it......onward and upward! ;) ;) :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the nice comment, Andy.

Rick. Thanks to you too. Luckily they are just stage pictures. So although I could see the trails, I wasn't bothered about their inclusion. I just had to capture the great sky.

I've darkened the sea and started on the silicone.

Always start with a light colour for the water and gradually go darker. Go dark straight away and it's a bu***r to lighten.

Don't go mad with the silicone. Think ship's wash and the waves both she, and mother nature creates. More like 'highlights' really.

P1360604.JPG

Conpare this shot with the similar view earlier. See how the bit of 'silicone' prop. wash kicks it all into life. Marvelous stuff is silicone!
P1360605.JPG

Still loads to do but it's getting there....

Cheers all.

Ron

Last edited: