Tag Picture Quiz

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Fortunately or unfortunately I spent my childhood years playing in bunkers. the escape system was simple but very effective.

Back to a maritime theme. this may prove a bit harder than HMS Bulldog - what is the name of the ship and what was she doing in January 1945?

SM COMP SHIP2.jpg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
This must be SS Vega. Chartered by the IRC during the war and delivered red cross parcels to St.Peter Port and St.Helier at the end of december 44 and jan.45.
Jon.

Last edited:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Jon -absolutly right, the SS Vega, although it was the Canadian Red Cross which supplied the food parcels.

I Wonder whether it may have been a little too obscure. But obviosly not.

For those not aware of this part of the War, after D-Day and the fall of Normandy the the Channel Islands were cut-off from France and any food supplies from the Autumn of 1944 onwards which resulted in serious food shortages. Throughout the war some supplies were in short supply but the winter of 1944/45 saw serious shortages resuling is some cases of starvation. The SS Vega delivered Red Cross food parcels for the civilian population and saved many lives, without it I am pretty sure some of my family would not have survived.

It may come as a surprise but Churchill was opposed to the Red Cross doing this, fearful that the Germans would take the food parcels. In the event the Germans did not, they respected the Red Cross and that the food parcels were for civilians. Becasue of this, the German garrison also faced severe food shortages and where any troops did steal food, punishment was severe.

Not surprisingly, this ship holds a special place in Islanders hearts - hence the stamp.

Jon - I will forgive you for posting a Jersey stamp rather than a Guernsey one, and over to you...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Fortunately or unfortunately I spent my childhood years playing in bunkers.
For me and my friends, that was just one of the options so we didn’t spend all of our time there :smiling3:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
More or less the same place.

Ahem.Here's a well known Fenton photo. but who are these three? First name will do for t'oss
Screenshot_2018-09-13-17-07-59.png

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
'course it is.
Henry Duberley was a Captain in the 8th Hussars at this time and pay-master so wasn't involved in the famous charge. His wife Fan was an eye-witness to this and other events of the Crimean war and later stages of the sepoy mutiny/uprising leaving us her fantastic diaries of the time.
And Bob was a horse.
Peter?
Jon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Funnily enough, I’ve just started reading Flash For Freedom, and she’s in it!
Wouldnt have recognised her though....

D

Deleted member 6559

Another horsey one.

Who is being preserved here and what was his claim to fame?

11071891_03.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jon
They certainly make me laugh, and they would make a real change from the usual Sunday costume potboilers.....the ideal actor for narrator would probably have been Ric Mayall but that’s not going to happen now....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thought that was a bit early....at least I now know it’s North American......