Tamiya 1/24 Morris Mini Cooper S with a twist.

H

HRVI

Hello everybody. I love minis & had 1 completed Morris Cooper S (shown below in red) & 1 abandoned(missing parts) Rally version & i wanted to make another.

Last week i was allowed by the bank of grandad to spend £50 on stuff for model making so i orderd 2 different Minis from Hobbies shop, hobby store, craft tools and materials, model boats along with some other things i need for other projects. I got Morris Mini Cooper S Racing & Morris Mini Cooper S Rally.

I decided to do 1 of them how i would like a real mini. So i cut the front off ready for a flip front conversion.

I have decided it will have Group 2 wheel arches, 6 point roll cage, red body & black roof & arches, maybe bucket seats. custom exhaust (based on the Playmini RC40 twin exit center exhaust) & if i manage to find someone willing to make wheels it should end up with 7" X 13" Ultralites.

This is what i have so far after 1.5 days.

View attachment 46633

View attachment 46634

View attachment 46635

View attachment 46636

View attachment 46637

View attachment 46638

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Nice build so far mate, I think you will find that most of the 'locals" are asleep due to time zones.

Lucky chap for having an account at grandads bank.

Im not a big (no pun) mini fan but i like the rollcage you scratched, good skills there mate.

I noticed the red one has glue fog on the windows? I use pva for clear parts to avoid this, Not sure if its applicable for cars depends on the strength factor i guess.

Nice job so far hrvi

C

CDW

\ said:
most of the 'locals" are asleep due to time zones.
I was in bed 14 hours ago, and i'm in the same time zone Aaron :smiling3:

Anyway ... like what you've done so far with the mini, if i can picture it right in my head it should turn out a nice model if you continue with the standard you're at now.

One day i may have a proper go at a car, although i don't think i'll attempt a mini - bit too small for my clumbsy fingers :smiling3:

Keep the pictures coming mate, let us know your real name as well (it's a bit more personal and friendly:smiling3:)

H

HRVI

\ said:
Nice build so far mate, I think you will find that most of the 'locals" are asleep due to time zones.Lucky chap for having an account at grandads bank.

Im not a big (no pun) mini fan but i like the rollcage you scratched, good skills there mate.I noticed the red one has glue fog on the windows? I use pva for clear parts to avoid this, Not sure if its applicable for cars depends on the strength factor i guess.

Nice job so far hrvi
Thanks, I have never made a roll cage before. i got a tip of heating the plastic from an american freind of mine who builds & sells stock cars. I might try your PVA idea on the windows. I did use way too much glue when i put that mini together.

Think their are parts of my fingers attached to it too :P

\ said:
I was in bed 14 hours ago, and i'm in the same time zone Aaron :smiling3: Anyway ... like what you've done so far with the mini, if i can picture it right in my head it should turn out a nice model if you continue with the standard you're at now.

One day i may have a proper go at a car, although i don't think i'll attempt a mini - bit too small for my clumbsy fingers :smiling3:

Keep the pictures coming mate, let us know your real name as well (it's a bit more personal and friendly:smiling3:)
Thanks & my name is Adam. It should look a bit like a racing mini but from the outside somthing like this.

Sorry for the big pictures but the uploader wont open

This is if i make the supercharger for it

Last edited:
First Name
Aaron
Hi Adam, Nice pics and what a little grunter.

Good job with the sprue bending, you can stretch it too for thinner radius.

Everytime i reach for the c.a i glue my fingers together lols

H

HRVI

i hope it will be a grunter lol, going to see how i could lower it. looks like allot of wishbone bending & sub frame changing :P

H

HRVI

Once again my American model making buddy who gave me tips on how to do the roll cage has come to the rescue & gave me a link to a site who have the 7"X13" Ultralite mini wheels i want. I have emailed them though to see if they will show me the back of the wheel so i know they will fit.

Might need to see if it would cost me any more to get them to make the exact correct back for the wheel & make them have 4 nuts instead of 5.

EDIT:

Been doing the maths after i found a set on Ebay. its only the front face of the wheel & the diameter of the rim is 17mm witch is too big. the diameter of the standard wheels WITH tires is 17mm :/

Last edited:
H

HRVI

Found a site that have loads of Mini/Ultralite wheels in different sizes :D Lets hope i find a decent set or 2 one for my Mini's

Reliable Resin's Wheels

Ones i am thinking of getting

Just waiting for a reply on the diameter & width of them.

Got the roof placed to make it look like a mini anyhow :smiling3:

View attachment 46690

PICT0032.jpg

First Name
Aaron
That roll cage looks very nice thru the windows and windscreen.

Engines looking 10/10

Looking forward to the momo steering wheel and ricarro racing seats =p

H

HRVI

Haha i think im going with 2 Mini bucket seats because they leave room to do some custom interior work ;) & i have a smaller Mini steering wheel.

The green mini i am showing is 1 of 2 i have at the moment. My other one wont be quite as customized but still look pretty cool. Probably have more standard parts on it but still be a flip front. I am making the green one how i want a real one so it will be red & black soon the same as the other.

H

HRVI

Well i have 2 classic mini bucket seats but i have also found 2 larger Recaro styled bucket seats that are the correct scale but use allot more room inside the car. I will have to experiment with them :P

Cant find the USB cable for the camera so no pictures yet although the Supercharger body, shaft thingy & inlets for the engine are done. Just have to do the main intake & filter & add a pulley to the shaft.

First Name
Aaron
And the undercar neons? The sub in the back window also a chrome bigbore exhaust pipe :dancing1:

H

HRVI

I have been thinking about making speakers using Plasticard & heating it slightly in the middle to make a bowl shape, the exhausts will be pretty big but neon is a no :P

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hey Adam. Just been looking through this thread which I havent noticed before. This is looking really great and I like all the mods you are doing to this. You certainly have some skill. Im looking forward to the finished result.

H

HRVI

Thanks Steve, Im still quite a novice but progress tonight will pretty much stop on it so let the other one catch up since its had a week of sitting in my grandads garage after getting painted. Also need to see if he will let me get some more stuff to make another roll cage for the other mini & finish the 1st one since the door bars arent on & theirs no crossbar above the windscreen yet.

H

HRVI

I wanted an M10000 Vtech for the other Mini. Nobody makes them but i was sent a link again by my american buddy to a page on facebook called Model Scientists Corp. who had a K20 witch is bigger & more powerful. I then found this beast on the internet Supercharged K20 Mini Cooper

Still cant find the lead for my camera yet :/

EDIT: If i'm confusing you now since i keep saying about a mini you haven't seen yet.

The mini i have shown will have a Mini engine with a Roots 45 Supercharger, Rollcage, Bucket seats, Big exhaust & flip front along with other things.

The mini you haven't seen will have a Honda K20 Vtech (Probably supercharged instead of turbo charged) Rollcage, Bucket seats, Removable front (Not flip) Custom wheel arches & some nice wheels

Last edited:

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
crikey Adam, you are mini crazy LOL. You should make a model of the one shown in the avatar and then take a picture of them side by side. If I ever need advice on building mini's I know where to come.

H

HRVI

Haha i grew up around Mini's & we have 2.5 of them (yep we have half a mini) & the Mini in my picture is on a Jeep Chassis :P

H

HRVI

Well i went home meaning i don't have all my tools but i have the minis, some tool & a camera cable :smiling3:

The red one is awaiting its Honda K20 engine but i am working on the wheel arches.

The red engine with Black carbs is the engine it should have. the Honda engine is about 2X bigger.

I have orderd soem more tubing so i can finish the rollcage & make a second for the other mini & do some more on the exhausts. I made a custom manifold based on the Playmini LCB Maniflow one but with an extra bend on the middle port to fit around the supercharger

View attachment 46956

View attachment 46957

View attachment 46958

View attachment 46959

View attachment 46960

View attachment 46961

View attachment 46962

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg