Tamiya 1/35 Churchill Mk VII Tank

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've now decided on my next disast.. uhm victim! I'm going to tackle the Tamiya 1/35th scale Churchill Tank.

Here is the box art and the contents.

tank1.pngtank2.png

Observations so far:- Well the tracks are rubber so that should be easier than individual sections I think, also there are figures with the kit, but there is no way I'm going to use those, they will go in my growing bits box. I believe this is one colour and not camo, which should be easier to paint (although I did buy some low adhesive masking tape after my last disaster)

Let's see how this goes shall we?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Yah, way to go Steve. That's the way to do it!!

Don't forget, these guys on here are very knowledgable about armour so ask away. During my Chally build they were very helpful with pointers and. tips. Use them.

One of the tips I was given, it applies to all builds. Write notes on the instructions. Colours, what to omit or include. What to paint and when. I found that most helpful in putting the kits together.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've now decided on my next disast.. uhm victim! I'm going to tackle the Tamiya 1/35th scale Churchill Tank.

Here is the box art and the contents.

View attachment 503679View attachment 503680

Observations so far:- Well the tracks are rubber so that should be easier than individual sections I think, also there are figures with the kit, but there is no way I'm going to use those, they will go in my growing bits box. I believe this is one colour and not camo, which should be easier to paint (although I did buy some low adhesive masking tape after my last disaster)

A wise choice that,a good solid kit,which will go together well with the typical ease of a Tamiya build :smiling3:
Enough detail to make it interesting for you, without so much that it'll put you off ;)
The rubber band tracks,whilst much maligned by many modellers,can actually give a decent result given the right treatment :thumb2:
I will watch your progress with much interest mate. :smiling3:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Always up for a Churchill build. Any mark, any scale...
Even if I did sell off all my 1/35 kits and aftermarkets... Still got seven (and counting) 28mm to get to...

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Steve, the good thing about building tanks, is if your not that satisfied with it, you can just cover it up with mud.
Looking forward to seeing you build this.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Well the tracks are rubber so that should be easier than individual sections I think
Yep. Just join them as per the instructions and you should be fine. If you really want, you can get individual track links of two types from AFV Club, but if I’m honest, that would be pearls before the swine a little bit :smiling3:

I believe this is one colour and not camo, which should be easier to paint
Yes. It would almost certainly have been painted SCC 15 olive drab overall. Tamiya tells you to paint it XF-61, but that’s dark green, and it’s a very hard to eradicate misconception that British tanks were green in the Second World War. Until mid-1944 they were SCC 2 brown, after that they were a colour similar to American olive drab, but with a bit of a greener hue to it. The Churchill VII was produced from 1944, so I’m guessing most were painted SCC 15 at the factory, rather than the earlier SCC 2.

As for model paint, just using American olive drab (not olive green!) will be fine unless you’re a stickler for getting the colour “right”.

It’s a Tamiya kit, so it will go together quite well :smiling3: I built this a good number of years ago, and don’t remember any particular issues with it. I’m sure you’ll manage :smiling3:

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've made a couple of these, including the 'Crocodile', and the parts fit well, and most importantly it looks the part when finished! The 'rubber' tracks look good with careful assembly and painted. There are more complicated Churchill models, with individual track links & working suspension, but these 'refinements' just add to the work load, and price, for only little visual improvement! ( In my opinion ).
If you like this model, move onto the Tamiya Cromwell a very nice model..........
Dave

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yep. Just join them as per the instructions and you should be fine. If you really want, you can get individual track links of two types from AFV Club, but if I’m honest, that would be pearls before the swine a little bit :smiling3:

Yes. It would almost certainly have been painted SCC 15 olive drab overall. Tamiya tells you to paint it XF-61, but that’s dark green, and it’s a very hard to eradicate misconception that British tanks were green in the Second World War. Until mid-1944 they were SCC 2 brown, after that they were a colour similar to American olive drab, but with a bit of a greener hue to it. The Churchill VII was produced from 1944, so I’m guessing most were painted SCC 15 at the factory, rather than the earlier SCC 2.

As for model paint, just using American olive drab (not olive green!) will be fine unless you’re a stickler for getting the colour “right”.

It’s a Tamiya kit, so it will go together quite well :smiling3: I built this a good number of years ago, and don’t remember any particular issues with it. I’m sure you’ll manage :smiling3:
Olive drab it is then! (which is good because I have that) Thank you.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You could do worse than having a look at this build of the one you're doing. It's meant for beginners, but there are still some useful tips - and it's not one of those build reviews which includes A/M parts that are twice the cost of the kit! :smiling:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You could do worse than having a look at this build of the one you're doing. It's meant for beginners, but there are still some useful tips - and it's not one of those build reviews which includes A/M parts that are twice the cost of the kit! :smiling:

Ohhh! This seems ideal, thank you so much!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good to see you getting back on the horse Steve……enjoy it. As the guys say, that’s a good choice.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Good subject, and with little in the way of problems...
Wash the tracks in soapy water to get rid of any release agent, this helps with the painting of them..
Had a quick look through the instructions and can see no problems with assembly. You are given the option of the commanders hatch open or closed and the parts are privided for either. Test fit the turrt to hull connection as sometime the fit can be a bit tight, a run around the hole with some 240 wet n dry will take off the tightness...
As the others have said it is a good breaking in kit... AFV Club do Churchills and I can guarantee the air in all of our homes was blue when assembling their idea of the suspension for the first time, and we have all worked out our own way to tackle that problem.
As Jakko said, SCC 15 is the colour to use, and is also quoted in the Mike Starmer publications, which is basically the goto books for British armour colours.
Above all take your time, if you are not sure then ask, we can access the instructions from the Scalemates web site to help you along.
Looking forward to seeing this one as you build.
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
AFV Club do Churchills and I can guarantee the air in all of our homes was blue when assembling their idea of the suspension for the first time
Agreed — they’re the best Churchill kits you’re going to find, but they’re definitely not for the first-time modeller :smiling3: (Which goes for just about all AFV Club kits, by the way. Cut your teeth on brands like Tamiya and Italeri first.) Steve, if you want a comparison of the suspension between your kit and the AFV Club Churchills, look here — OK, that also covers building the suspension pushed in a little, but in short, it’s a difference of something like 40 parts per side between Tamiya and AFV Club Churchills, in the suspension alone :smiling3:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Good to see you getting back on the horse Steve……enjoy it. As the guys say, that’s a good choice.
Ditto that Steve.
Remember this is a hobby not a professional exam, so cut yourself some slack, enjoy the process itself and allow yourself to make mistakes,as that's how we all learnt. By all means gain inspiration from stuff you see online but don't judge your own efforts by them.
And keep posting the results on here,it's THE most helpful and supportive environment.
Good luck
Enjoy
Neil

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
This Tamiya Churchill turns into a rather nice looking build when finished, it goes together easily and really does look the part when finished. I've gotta admit I'd never built a Churchill before and really enjoyed throwing this together,

My Churchill

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Agreed — they’re the best Churchill kits you’re going to find, but they’re definitely not for the first-time modeller :smiling3: (Which goes for just about all AFV Club kits, by the way. Cut your teeth on brands like Tamiya and Italeri first.) Steve, if you want a comparison of the suspension between your kit and the AFV Club Churchills, look here — OK, that also covers building the suspension pushed in a little, but in short, it’s a difference of something like 40 parts per side between Tamiya and AFV Club Churchills, in the suspension alone :smiling3:
Wow! that looks equally cool and frightning :astonished:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This Tamiya Churchill turns into a rather nice looking build when finished, it goes together easily and really does look the part when finished. I've gotta admit I'd never built a Churchill before and really enjoyed throwing this together,

My Churchill
That looks so nice and great work on the figures too!

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I spent so much time on the last kit looking at the sprues trying to figure which was which (my eyesight is not sharp)
so I figured I'd solve this by getting the dymo out and making some labels this time.

Cheating? maybe, but I don't care.
sprue.png