Tamiya 1/35 Matilda Mk.III/IV

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a bit of off forum building, I'll be starting a blog of this for the holiday.....................
Tamiya Matilda.jpg
This was an edition to celebrate Tamiya's 300th release - it has a two sided reference sheet of photos of the Bovington Matilda.
The model should have the choice of link & length tracks, or vinyls - but I snaffled the vinyls for this https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/dave-wards-1-35-hobbyboss-vickers-medium-mark-i.30492/page-3 back in 2018, when the individual tracks got the better of me!
I've seen a fair few builds of the Matilda in Caunter camo schemes, Mid-Stone & even Russian Green, but I can't remember seeing one in Home Service Colours. I have this set:
hataka paint.jpg and I'll use the SCC 1A Dark Brown & SCC 2 Khaki Brown.
I'll put up some sprue & detail shots tomorrow ( providing it gets light enough ) - I can say it looks a very nice model!
Dave

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Always liked the Matilda. Have fun with it Dave.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Nice one Dave, I've got this lurking in the stash and never got around to throwing glue and paint at it..so I'll be following along for inspiration

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Like Tim I've always liked the look of them.

It was actually the Airfix 1/72 Matilda kit that got my son into the hobby and me back into it.

Good luck with the build.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking forward to your build Dave and what a choice for the holidays, I have two of the older kits, one in mothball after a coat of primer. You may have seen that being built in the old forum with the scratchbuilt missing hatches and headlights.
The new kit is a cracker. I wouldn't worry about the vinyl tracks as Tammis are good besides 3/4s of it will be hidden under the sand guards.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
DSCF3931.JPG
Sprue shots
DSCF3937.JPGDSCF3941.JPGDSCF3944.JPGDSCF3947.JPG
DSCF3951.JPG
All the sprues are clean, crisp, free of flash, visible ejector pin marks & sinkage
DSCF3932.JPG
Decal, tow rope & polycaps

Instructions - B&W booklet that looks very clear
DSCF3935.JPG
Colour schemes - the halftone printing makes it difficult to see the colour demarcations - a colour print would have been much better
DSCF3936.JPG
As this was a special edition for Tamiya's 300th release. a colour reference sheet of the Bovington Matilda
DSCF3933.JPG
DSCF3934.JPG
See part II for some detail shots & comments!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This was new tool in 2009, replacing an earlier 1975 model....................
A few detail shots:
DSCF3952.JPGDSCF3938.JPGDSCF3943.JPGDSCF3945.JPGDSCF3946.JPGDSCF3948.JPG
Slide moulded single piece barrels only one will be used
DSCF3949.JPG
The link & length tracks
DSCF3939.JPGDSCF3940.JPG
.......and this is where the vinyl tracks in the model ended up.......

basecoated hull 02.jpg
HobbyBoss Vickers Medium Mk. I - a good fit, replacing the very difficult individual links in the HB kit.

Very nice looking model in the box - I remember thinking when I bought it, that it didn't look like the typical Tamiya tank model - the flat pack hull & general sprue layout remind me more of TriStar, or HobbyBoss models. I'm not familiar with the later production Tamiya tank models to say that it is common now.
I'll be using the Hataka paints - one thing with these paints is that they require a lot of shaking before use, or you get some odd results......................
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks very good Dave!

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looks a nice build Dave, hope your hand settles down.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks a good old box of bits Dave ,looking forward to watching this one. Can never understand why the major manufacturers haven't knocked out the MK1 instead of more of the same German MK1's to whatever they all go up to and AtoZ's. I'm sure there's one out at Bovington bit worse for wear but a great subject. Dave.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Can never understand why the major manufacturers haven't knocked out the MK1 instead of more of the same German MK1's to whatever they all go up to and AtoZ's.
Because [country name here] doesn’t sell!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks a good old box of bits Dave ,looking forward to watching this one. Can never understand why the major manufacturers haven't knocked out the MK1 instead of more of the same German MK1's to whatever they all go up to and AtoZ's. I'm sure there's one out at Bovington bit worse for wear but a great subject. Dave.
The Bovington one is a runner Dave. I thought the same when I saw this. Great subject, looks quite archaic compared to the one Dave is building….

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Matilda I - a total joke - armoured heavily, enough to be largely invulnerable to anti-tank guns - then armed with a single machine gun - and crewed by two men ( very busy men ) - top speed 6mph off road, and a range of 80 miles. Having said that I'd love to see an injection model of one!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Your only real options for a Matilda I in 1:35, other than scratchbuilding it, are the resin-and-metal Accurate Armour kit and one (or a couple of?) 3D-printed, but going by comments on Missing-Lynx a few weeks ago, that last one is nowhere near as good as it initially seemed.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Matilda I - a total joke - armoured heavily, enough to be largely invulnerable to anti-tank guns - then armed with a single machine gun - and crewed by two men ( very busy men ) - top speed 6mph off road, and a range of 80 miles. Having said that I'd love to see an injection model of one!
Dave
Sorry Dave I'm afraid three of us doesn't warrant a halt in production of spits hurricanes and all things german apparently the thirst for these things is insatiable.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Going to limit my benchtime to around an hour or so a day, but made a start on assembling bits today
DSCF3968.JPG
Usual Tamiya fit :thumb2: Oddly there are hexagonal recesses in the base of the hull bottom plate, and the upper hull is to be held on by polycaps - maybe Tamiya had further plans for this model ?
DSCF3969.JPG
All the road wheels & suspension bits assembled - most of this will be hidden by the side skirts, but I know it's there!
The box says 'Mark III/IV' - a bit of research finds that the Mk.IV had an uprated engine & lost the turret lamp, but nothing in the instructions about this................
Dave