Tamiya 1/35 Matilda Mk.III/IV

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Going to limit my benchtime to around an hour or so a day, but made a start on assembling bits today
View attachment 470179
Usual Tamiya fit :thumb2: Oddly there are hexagonal recesses in the base of the hull bottom plate, and the upper hull is to be held on by polycaps - maybe Tamiya had further plans for this model ?
View attachment 470180
All the road wheels & suspension bits assembled - most of this will be hidden by the side skirts, but I know it's there!
The box says 'Mark III/IV' - a bit of research finds that the Mk.IV had an uprated engine & lost the turret lamp, but nothing in the instructions about this................
Dave
Not sure Dave,but it's possible those hexagonal recesses are for captive nuts... If fitting a motor unit?!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not sure Dave,but it's possible those hexagonal recesses are for captive nuts... If fitting a motor unit?!
The mould dates from 2009, I thought that Tamiya had dropped the motorised stuff off their 1/35 models long ago. No other sign of bits for drive sprockets etc............
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it's possible those hexagonal recesses are for captive nuts... If fitting a motor unit?!
I think they’re intended for fixing the model to a diorama base: open up the little round recess in the centre of the hexagonal thing, glue in a nut and you can fix the model to the base by a bolt coming up through the groundwork.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think they’re intended for fixing the model to a diorama base: open up the little round recess in the centre of the hexagonal thing, glue in a nut and you can fix the model to the base by a bolt coming up through the groundwork.
Well,I was KINDA right...
... Wrong in a few ways..
... but I'll take some credit for the "Captive nut" thought :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A really dark wet dismal day here - can't say I'll look back on 2022 with any warm memories...........
The running gear is assembled & it's time for priming & basecoat the lower hull with Hataka SCC 2 Khaki Brown ( not the best paint in the world! )
DSCF3972.JPG
Whilst the compressor was running, I primed the link & length track parts................which will be the task for tomorrow morning!
DSCF3973.JPG
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hataka SCC 2 Khaki Brown ( not the best paint in the world! )
I’ve gone rather off Hataka — I’ve tried a few of their airbrush-ready acrylics, with results varying between “sprays OK but not overly great” and “wouldn’t use again” so I’ve decided on the latter for the whole range to avoid frustration.

Though I must say SCC 2 doesn’t really sound like the right colour for a Matilda … or are you using it as a base for something else later?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I’ve gone rather off Hataka — I’ve tried a few of their airbrush-ready acrylics, with results varying between “sprays OK but not overly great” and “wouldn’t use again” so I’ve decided on the latter for the whole range to avoid frustration.

Though I must say SCC 2 doesn’t really sound like the right colour for a Matilda … or are you using it as a base for something else later?
Home Service tanks ( UK Mainland ) were painted with SCC 1A Dark brown over SCC 2 until 1943 - it's not a scheme you see very often - which is why I'm doing it.....................
The Hataka paints just aren't consistent enough - I'll be using mine up, but won't buy any more
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Dave!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Home Service tanks ( UK Mainland ) were painted with SCC 1A Dark brown over SCC 2 until 1943
That’s what I meant: I didn’t know the Matilda II was still in UK service when that scheme was current.

it's not a scheme you see very often - which is why I'm doing it.....................
This is reason enough for me :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It amazed me that there were around 70 Matilda II's in existence ( in various states ) - over 30 in Australia, since only around 3000 were made, a good survival rate
Tracks assembled on one side - nice fit - just careful removal of the bits from the sprue needed
DSCF3974.JPG
Not concerned about the upper run - it won't be seen!
Benchtime stopped for an odd reason - I've got hiccups! - you try applying precision drops of glue , with that! Can't remember the last time I had them!
Dave