Tamiya 1/35 Matilda Mk.III/IV

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks one paint I shan't bother with then Dave, nice work on those tracks.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Basecoat sprayed on the upper hull & side skirts
View attachment 470504
Tamiya would have you add all the tools before painting - nope!..................Turret - started assembly.
There is a crew supplied, but they are more suited to the desert options, so the hatches will be shut.
Dave
Looking good Dave :smiling3:
Don't understand why they say that with the tools..... noticed that on pretty much every Tamiya AFV I've built!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I missed the start Dave. Looks a nice kit with typical Tamiya's good fit. You're making good progress. Tracks look very good. Hope the hand problem is improved. All the talk of captive nuts, waltzing and hiccups shows just how much some blogs include!! :thinking: :smiling:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Good stuff so far Dave ,as for the hataka paints made them spray ok but the stuffs a right sod to clean out of the airbrush it even laughed at mr hobby tool cleaner binned the couple of sets I had rather than leave it taking up cupboard space ,like you usually I'd stand by the old I've paid for it so I'll finish but not this time. Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hull & lower chassis united.............
DSCF3978.JPG
And the turret assembly awaits primer and basecoat
DSCF3979.JPG
I've still to add the smoke grenade launchers & the folded tarps, but after the camo is finished.
Next will be the exhaust, and the external fuel tank - going very nicely, fit excellent.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Side skirts added - I thought I might have a problem with these, but they fitted well!
DSCF3981.JPGDSCF3982.JPG
The suspension is just about invisible! Oh well I know that it's there! I'm ready for the dark brown camouflage over the basecoat - not sure whether to brush paint or airbrush. I'll have to look at the consistency of the Hataka dark brown before deciding. There are the tools, tarps & a few other bit to add, but this is getting towards completion - time to think on the next build! :rolling:
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely Dave!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm ready for the dark brown camouflage over the basecoat - not sure whether to brush paint or airbrush.
If you’re going to spray it, you would have to mask everything, I think — or touch up the edges of the sprayed patches with a brush — because on the real vehicles they were generally hard-edged. Unless I’m mistaken, this is the pattern you’re going for, right?

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Side skirts added - I thought I might have a problem with these, but they fitted well!
View attachment 470677View attachment 470678
The suspension is just about invisible! Oh well I know that it's there! I'm ready for the dark brown camouflage over the basecoat - not sure whether to brush paint or airbrush. I'll have to look at the consistency of the Hataka dark brown before deciding. There are the tools, tarps & a few other bit to add, but this is getting towards completion - time to think on the next build! :rolling:
Dave
Looking great Dave. :smiling3: ....
I am a bit confused over the camo scheme... us it all one brown or a "Brown on Brown"? ...
... sorry if I'm just being stoopid,but can't work it out! ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking great Dave. :smiling3: ....
I am a bit confused over the camo scheme... us it all one brown or a "Brown on Brown"? ...
... sorry if I'm just being stoopid,but can't work it out! ;)
Dark brown patches over the lighter brown...............I think that the airbrush method would nreed more touching up than it's worth - so I'll select my best brush....
Dave

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Dark brown patches over the lighter brown...............I think that the airbrush method would nreed more touching up than it's worth - so I'll select my best brush....
Dave
Ah right,thanks for that Dave:thumb2:
On "Patches",i`d say that the good old Brush painting would be the way to go, (i used that on a Vickers Tank early last year),
I know you aren`t impressed with the Hataka paints,but i use their "Blue Range",specically for Brush painting,and i really like them ...... not saying you should buy some.... just wanted to back them a bit;),
..... Anyway,i look forward to seeing the next update!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ah right,thanks for that Dave:thumb2:
On "Patches",i`d say that the good old Brush painting would be the way to go, (i used that on a Vickers Tank early last year),
I know you aren`t impressed with the Hataka paints,but i use their "Blue Range",specically for Brush painting,and i really like them ...... not saying you should buy some.... just wanted to back them a bit;),
..... Anyway,i look forward to seeing the next update!
They do an enamel range as well - not tried them, enamels aren't on my shopping lists!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks to have gone together with few issues. A hard edge camo is probably best done with a brush . Masking would be difficult to say the least.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh good grief!!! Same brand of paint, from the same paint set, shaken vigorously for 5 mins, and the Hataka Dark Brown has dried gloss...............
DSCF3984.JPG
I did this at 09:30 - I left it to dry - at 11:00, I thought it's taking a long time to dry - but it was dry to the touch!!! I suppose it doesn't matter, as I will be sealing everything with varnish coats, but it reinforces my thoughts about Hataka paints being inconsistent. The paint set has been stored in a cool, dark place since I bought it - so age & conditions shouldn't come into it.
Brush painting was the only way to do this, masking, whether with tape or blutac, would have left more touching up than anything.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Another reason to stay away from Hataka paints for me, then. Though a dirt wash will probably matt it down nicely too, without needing any varnish.