Tamiya 1/35 Panzer 111.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Right I am here. you may begin - got stopped on the way over and asked if my journey was essential - I stated that when cake and goodies were in the offing for free......

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steve and Rick. 6’ apart and I hope John wears his mask on this build he is one of the elderly what is he now 98 or 100 yrs old

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
I'll follow along John, looks like a bit of a change for you.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Where the Hell have I been... is there any cake left and I like lemon curd on mine if you please. Chair pulled up and coffee in hand, get to it JR. Rick H.

It's the time delay Rick, plenty of cake Si has done a great job.

John. Sorry to here that I have my McCafe Coffee in hand

Yes a sign of the times, it's taken me 2 weeks to get a home shopping delivery,with luck there might be some Yorkshire Tea .:thumb2:
Right I am here. you may begin - got stopped on the way over and asked if my journey was essential - I stated that when cake and goodies were in the offing for free.......

You'll been in more trouble when you get home, telling SWMBO you were going to get the tortoise some greens !:smiling3::smiling3:.

Morning John
Looks like I'm in the second row behind the rabble. As Peter says it is less common to see the earlier tanks rather than Panthers and Tigers.
Jim

Good evening Jim, yes I'd suggest that you increase the distance between you and the rabble by 4 mtrs.
The good thing about this it doesn't have the no of wheels the later ones did !

Steve and Rick. 6’ apart and I hope John wears his mask on this build he is one of the elderly what is he now 98 or 100 yrs old

Lee ,I'm wearing deep-sea divers helmet, Mr Dewire is IC pump attendant.
As to my age that has just been declassified due to the pandemic I'm 72 :cool::upside::tongue-out3:.

Lee,John doesn`t have AN age............. he IS age !!:loudly-crying:

:upside::surprised::nerd::smiling3: Thank you Andy .

I'll follow along John, looks like a bit of a change for you.
SWMBO

Yes certainly is Graeme, a welcome one as well , the Tamiya kit so far is a dream to build .

Ain't that the truth...it's not Russain and it ain't green!!:tongue-out3:

Nice one Rick:nerd::smiling2::smiling2:

Hi to the Rabble in row 1 and to the others gathered in the second row
Good evening gentleman. I trust you are all well and comfortable.

Having spent the morning and early afternoon in the garden, where else !
I came in and started, first thing instructions that are clear, well they are on this first page, though I have noticed I shall be asking for help later .

Got this far.

IMG_20200412_164827836.jpg

IMG_20200412_164839462.jpg
Is there supposed to be a join line visible. Wouldn't go any tighter as there was pin moulded to the plate.
15867084009825762531414249365908.jpg
Right hand slope .

The section that I was stuck over is.

15867085095347644994500327239987.jpg

Or
15867085270152463327538046302495.jpg
As I intend to build.

15867086224994241102954733334961.jpg

Which one would I require please experts in German Armour ?

Thanks .
C & C welcome
John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like a good start JR, I didn't see Mr. T in the audience so you are on your own concerning that gap. In looking further, if I were the engineer designing this tank I would want that outer plate on the final drive to be one piece and not two with a visible line running through it. Just my humble opinion Sir. Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I wouldnt worry too much about the struts on the front faced armour unless you know the Fgst number and whether it was made by MAN, MNH, Daimler, Alkett, Henshell, or Miang of the Panzer Ausf L that you exactly want to build. I suspect there would have been both variants on the Russian battlefield in 1942.

The first production models from April/May 1942 up to June 1942 would have been Option A. June 1942 onwards would have been Option B.

The only thing right about the sprocket plate is that it is the right shape. There should be no line and its missing about 20 rivets and nut heads. If you want to scratch a replacement let me know and I will send you the picture of it.

Last edited:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
If I may?.... chair pulled...looking forward to this.. ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks like a good start JR, I didn't see Mr. T in the audience so you are on your own concerning that gap. In looking further, if I were the engineer designing this tank I would want that outer plate on the final drive to be one piece and not two with a visible line running through it. Just my humble opinion Sir. Rick H.
Hi Rick, yes I agree, if I'd taken that pin off it might well for more closely.
No sign of Mr T , think he is grinding up some concoction or other , hopefully he might make a appearance later.

I wouldnt worry too much about the struts on the front faced armour unless you know the Fgst number and whether it was made by MAN, MNH, Daimler, Alkett, Henshell, or Miang of the Panzer Ausf L that you exactly want to build. I suspect there would have been both variants on the Russian battlefield in 1942.

The first production models from April/May 1942 up to June 1942 would have been Option A. June 1942 onwards would have been Option B.

The only thing right about the sprocket plate is that it is the right shape. There should be no line and its missing about 20 rivets and nut heads. If you want to scratch a replacement let me know and I will send you the picture of it.
I knew I could rely upon you Steve, thanks . Yes please send the picture I have some rivets and bolt heads .:surprised:

And i thought i was a nerd Steve lol

I did have the set of panzer tract books on the pz 111 but recently sold them.
See Bob there is life other than StuGs and 4BO. Pity about not having the books , I shall have to rely on Steve then, and search the web. Couldn't see you selling a StuG book

If I may?.... chair pulled...looking forward to this.. ;)
Hi Greg, of course mate , normal seat has been reserved , ask Mr Jones to show you to your seat , row 2, near Jim .

Thanks for the help and support . More no doubt tomorroew :smiling:
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning John, sorry for being tardy, only just come across this :smiling4:

I have this very kit in the part constructed pile - started enthusiastically as usual then got diverted by something more interesting but will get back to it eventually

Are you not feeling well? It isn't Russian

That part you show with the diagonal gap is just the backplate for the final drive

no there shouldn't really be such a gap but don't worry too much as there is a final drive housing that fits over the top - just try and reduce the gap and step as much as possible to get a flat surface for the drive to sit on

(I suspect the final drive housing is the detail that Steve is referring to)

Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 06.20.46.png
this is nicked from someone else's build as mine is downstairs and I am still lazing in bed!

as you can see it will need a skim of filler around the edges to get rid of the gaps

Have a look at this chaps build vid Ausf L

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
My apologies. Left out the word "holes". Should read - There should be no line and its missing about 20 rivets and nut heads holes. Like Mr T says it will all be covered over by the housing but you know what us detailers are like. Cant sleep unless we know all hidden detailing has been done :smiling5: :smiling2: :cool: :thumb2:

Here is the plan view

IMG_0916.JPG

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning John, sorry for being tardy, only just come across this :smiling4:

I have this very kit in the part constructed pile - started enthusiastically as usual then got diverted by something more interesting but will get back to it eventually

Are you not feeling well? It isn't Russian

That part you show with the diagonal gap is just the backplate for the final drive

no there shouldn't really be such a gap but don't worry too much as there is a final drive housing that fits over the top - just try and reduce the gap and step as much as possible to get a flat surface for the drive to sit on

(I suspect the final drive housing is the detail that Steve is referring to)

View attachment 380596
this is nicked from someone else's build as mine is downstairs and I am still lazing in bed!

as you can see it will need a skim of filler around the edges to get rid of the gaps

Have a look at this chaps build vid Ausf L
Feeling ok thanks :smiling5:just wanted something that I could use the Fruils on .
It's only me that lies in bed Simon :smiling3: always thought you slept in the chair or hanging from the ceiling ! :surprised:Thank you for the information.

My apologies. Left out the word "holes". Should read - There should be no line and its missing about 20 rivets and nut heads holes. Like Mr T says it will all be covered over by the housing but you know what us detailers are like. Cant sleep unless we know all hidden detailing has been done :smiling5: :smiling2: :cool: :thumb2:

Here is the plan view

View attachment 380612
Are you MAD ?--------------- you expect me to do this AND then cover it up !
Steve your Completely MAD . :smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling: but I like you :thumb2:
Any more of these utterly ridiculous ideas that you have to send me over the edge and you will be sent home ! I shall have words with Mrs Jones .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greetings from a some what dullish weather day here at Race Towers.:disappointed2:

More modeling this afternoon.

2020_2.jpg
Those lines allover the base are bits of fern !

2020_3.jpg
A joy to build, things fit, there is no flash, holes that are open.

2020_4.jpg

Decided to make those locking things, not the best, but scrachery at this level is hard !

2020_5.jpg
Some lovely wheels, :flushed:, going to paint these off the model, mainly to attempt the black where required.

Thant's it for today, C & C welcome.
Thanks for looking in.

John.