Tamiya 1:350 Japanese Battleship Musashi Build Thread

B

Bunkerbarge

A beautiful item Pogo. Thanks for sharing.

According to my book of words:

Manganeese Bronze: Applies to high strength brass containing up to 4% manganese. Ideal for propeller castings, such alloys are really high tensile brass. A typical propeller alloy would be 50% copper, 36 % zinc, 5% manganese, and a mixture of aluminium, nickel and tin.

Phosphor Bronze: Bronze alloy of copper and tin with added phosphorous to increase its strength. This produces a number of usefull alloys resistant to corrosion in salt water containing quantities of tin ranging from 3% to 12%

I'm surprised that your piece does not appear to be brass in colour so maybe it is plated as well but both these metals would normally be of a brass like appearance.

N

Nigel.D

As far as im aware the shafts were painted the hull red oxide clour

R

rjwood_uk

right, i have to wait untill wednesday untill i can finish painting the hull so tomorrow i am going to get on with some other bits if i have time. the first stage envolves me using the p/e just a quick question about it..

how well can p/e be painted with acylics and what are the rough drying times for the paint on it?

N

Nigel.D

Pe can be easily painted with acrylics but only paint after you have completed any bending as the paint will flake off if you dont

R

rjwood_uk

right, lack of paint rectified and hull sprayed. got to mast off waterline and paint maroon tomorrow.

started front deck, done all the little bits of the jn grey on it and the main part at front. it had the anchor chains as part of the mould...personaly i think they looked rubbish so i got rid of them, got an old chain (correct style or linkege) and painted it metallic grey so i will cut it down to the correct lengths and stick it tomorrow (as you can see there is no chain on the front of the deck

just got a little bit of p/e to do for some vents and a hatch. will worry about the winches tomorrow.

will get some pis up of hull with maroon and finished front deck tomorrow...

View attachment 13999

View attachment 14000

6.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Why Tamiya seem to insist on having a transverse joint right across a longitudinally planked deck has always completely escaped me. Even proffessional modellers struggle to hide such a joint.

R

rjwood_uk

i know....i was thinking fillin in and sanding? i will mean il have to repaint a bit but i dont mind that.

rather that than having a huge thick line!!!

R

rjwood_uk

ok, done the chains.look a bit messy but easy to tidy up.

i think they look a hell of a lot better than it would have if i just painted the moulded chain that was already on the deck.

brings it to life a bit!!

must go to sleep now, il neaten them all up tomorrow and finish off the front deck (guns n all!)

View attachment 14001

View attachment 14002

8.jpg

9.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard, the chain looks superb and is a vast improvement on the original moulded offerring from Tamiya.

It would be interesting to try to get hold of a picture of this area though, maybe one of the Yamato books would be usefull, as I would be surprised if the stoppers were made of chain of a similar size to the original cable.

The stoppers are to support the anchor when unser way and allow the windlass brake to be released and, having two per cable, only need to take half the load. I would have expected a wire with a bottle screw to take the tension so I don't know whether it was normal for the Japanese to use chain or whether Tamiya have taken the easy option with the mouling.

Chain of this size is actually very difficult to handle so I am surprised to see it used as a stopper.

All these things continue to make the research interesting and, as before, if there is little known about it, no one can say something is wrong.

R

rjwood_uk

well the stopper chains on the mold were slightly smaller (as in thinner) but only have this thickness chain, is it that important?? i can always change it.

B

Bunkerbarge

If you are thinking of changing it try to find a relevent picture as I suspect they may have been wires rather than chain or a much smaller chain.

Anchor cable is actually a very heavy chain and you would probably not be able to lift one link. Moving a cable of such links is not very practical so it would be either wire or a much smaller chain. I couldn't say which.

R

rjwood_uk

ok, thanks richard.

i know i said i would get some pictures up of the finished foward deck but i woke up late and i as i have found out, adding p/e details takes quite a pit of time and pacience....so i have done one 46cm turret today!!! will paint it later and get a pic up.

B

Bunkerbarge

Well done for finding the picture, how you decide to interpret it is then, of course, up to the individual.

I don't think that many things would not look right so stay with what you have done so far.

R

rjwood_uk

ok, thanks richard, will do.

i have done all but one of the p/e cable reels and done all the 25mm single machine gun floor plates.

sorry to dissapoint you richard and nigel but i am just goin to stick with a bare coloured deck, possibly give it a darker wash later on to emphisize the lines. i have done one of the 24mm guns (as you can see) just folding the p/e sight and shoulder rests and sticking them on took 10mins under my magnifying lense!!! really looks the part though

unfortunalty my camera dosnt like focusing on the right bits and my parents wont let me use there flashy new one!!!

here is the one turret i have done, got another 2 of these size ones and one loads of smaller different sized ones. (does anyone think i should paint the ladders??)...and yes i know the far barrell is wonky...i had not actually glued them yet when i took this picture!

View attachment 14030

View attachment 14031

View attachment 14032

View attachment 14033

View attachment 14034

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

well today has not been my day, earlier i accidently ran over a part with my chair and broke it, so now i have to order a whole new spru part.

and about 10 minutes ago i awoke to the sound of cracking plastic.

my sister is having a "sleep-over" and god knows what they were doing but one of her friend managed to land on my hull.

after all that care and attention i put into spraying (not to mention money) it is now in 3 different parts. i will get a picture up tomorrow.

luckely she has said she will pay for it but thats still beside the point. arent 15 year olds ment to be asleep at 3:45 in the morning???!!!!