Tamiya 1:350 Japanese Battleship Musashi Build Thread

T

tigertc

well today has not been my day, earlier i accidently ran over a part with my chair and broke it, so now i have to order a whole new spru part.and about 10 minutes ago i awoke to the sound of cracking plastic.

my sister is having a "sleep-over" and god knows what they were doing but one of her friend managed to land on my hull.

after all that care and attention i put into spraying (not to mention money) it is now in 3 different parts. i will get a picture up tomorrow.

luckely she has said she will pay for it but thats still beside the point. arent 15 year olds ment to be asleep at 3:45 in the morning???!!!!
1. rolling my chair over parts?....done it lots coz i a messy SOB!

2. 15 YR OLD+WEEK END+EASTER SLEEPOVER= DISASTER, OF ONE SHAPE OR ANOTHER!!!!!

R

rjwood_uk

ok, i dont know if anyone has read the chat box with me and terry early hours in the morning.

but i have decided to fit a smoke generator into this project.

i have ordered all the bits and bobs off ebay and worked out where the nesissary holes will need to go.

i am thinking, battery pack hidden in the stand with a switch fitted onto the side of the stand. generator in hull and feed pipe comming out a vent somewhere so i can put the liquid in, then block it so smoke does not come out of it.

and better suggestions on how to this will be greatly appriciated.

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard, a couple of words of caution. One is that smoke generators generate heat as well so the unit will have to be well insulated from the plastic components.

The other is that you will need to maintain access to the unit should anything ever go wrong with it and you need to remove it so maybe fit it into the funnel and have the funnel removeable or something similar.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you should be able to fit one that you can put the oil into the same hole that the smoke comes out of. Then you don't have any messing around with closing holes etc. I have this type on my Cossack destroyer.

If you are adding power what about fitting a lamp in the base and running some fibre optics to the navigation lights?

R

rjwood_uk

i have orderd Heng Long smoke unit.

you do put the liquid in the same hole, but i didnt want smoke comming out a vent. ok so my idea is flawed!!!

yes i could run some lights of some sort, but according to terry the smoke unit needs a constant 1amp supply, so wouldnt running other things off the battery affect it??

the smoke unit it far too big to fit in the funnel!!! (same one terry has) and also according to him it does not generate a lot of heat at all, but does generate some small amounts of residue around it,that can be solved by placing it on a cloth/sponge or something simmilar.

i might have to possibly make an access pannel in the side that will not be shown then???

B

Bunkerbarge

Your smoke unit will draw 1 Amp and you lights will draw maybe 0.1 Amp. As long as your battery remains charged it will supply both items at a constant current, assuming that you have connected them in parallel.

If you use a 2000 mahr battery it should last about half an hour supplying the smoke unit on its own but only last about 27 minutes if it is supplying the 0.1 Amp lamp as well. The current should stay the same.

By that time the room will be full of smoke and you won't be able to see that ship anyway!!!

I would make sure that you can remove the unit for maintenance so you should have some sort of access.

N

Nigel.D

Richard if your doing a smoke unit may i suggest you do the ship as a waterline model for added realism?

R

rjwood_uk

thats a very good pint nigel, but i cant find anywhere that does "sea foam", tamiya do it but only in bulk and it is for 1:700 scale.

if anyone can give me any pointers in the right direction there.....?

R

rjwood_uk

so i could to it just like "up-side down" artex kind of thing???

R

rjwood_uk

battery pack for the smoke machine came today!

and got a free pocket torch/compas thing.

.....superfast deliver....and off a power seller as well!!!

View attachment 14055

P1010319.jpg

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

ok, smoke machine all working.

just a few questions.

Terry i seem to remember you saying in your tinkering thread you managed to get the smoke machine to produce more smoke...if so, how did you do this?

also, i have circled a bit on the machine...anyone know what this is for? im not very good at electronics.

anyone recomend a way to attach a switch in-between the battery and the smoke gen? or is there a way of attaching a switch to the smoke unit?

help would be most appriciated.

thanks

View attachment 14063

P1010324.jpg

T

tigertc

smoker

Hi RJ,

Glad you got the smoker up and running.

The smoker puts out more smoke when it has a dedicated battery that is not running anything else, also they seem to take a bit of "running in".

If you take a picture of the output on a black background i will be able to tell you if it is putting out the correct amount.

Also bare in mind that there are different grades of fluid. The mix for these units (Gycerine to water) is heavy i would imagine. I have not yet recieved my tub of glycerine, when i get it i will experiment and let you know soon as i can.

I would have thought though, that the stuff you bought is already a heavy mix as it is meant for disco smoke machines. But you never know if the stuff has been watered down too far before you got it. A rough consistancy like 101 bike oil is about right. Glcerine is the active ingredient.

I also would imagine that you can boil this stuff to reduce its water content. As it has to actually burn to produce smoke.

R

rjwood_uk

ok....here are the best pics i could get of the smoke.

it doesnt look like "dense" smoke to me??

the bottle was not seeled when it arrived.

i dont want to be rude, but do you think anyone would go to the trouble of selling this stuff watered down???

dont really want to boil it down...not unless anyone can tell me its tried and tested???

View attachment 14064

View attachment 14065

smoke1.jpg

smoke2.jpg

T

tigertc

It looks all wrong. should be 10 times that coming out.

Fleabay has had your pants down for the fluid or the machine. Pm me your address and i will send you some of my smoke fluid then you will know. Hopefully you paid by paypal and havent left feedback yet.

WHen you get my sample.... make sure you run the machine dry of the old smoke before putting mine in.

If you check some of the videos i have posted in my tanks thread you can clearly see the difference.

im tinkin its the fluid

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

well after sending the supplyers of the fluid a message telling them it had leaked i recieved this message

Hi Richard, That's the first time we've had a leak. What had happened to the box? Also how much had leaked?

It would be useful to know if it was down to our packaging to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you send us a photo by email to info@********.net, we can get compensation & another one sent to you Free of charge.

Regards,

Gavin
so i will deffinatly be doing that!!!

R

rjwood_uk

made the display stand today (basically a box with no top, with supports 3.4mm down to hold the "sea" up.)

basically its just to hide the battery and save me having to chop the bottom off my ship like i would have to do for a waterline model if i were doing it flat on a serface.

will get some pics up either tomorrow or wednesday...got a busy week planned

my birthday on monday :smiling3:

N

Nigel.D

Bloody hell Now ive seen everything that is awsome beyond belief