Tamiya 1:350 Japanese Battleship Musashi Build Thread

T

tigertc

Dammit the japanese have a definate advantage when it comes to model building.

they are all Umpa Lumpa's

Starts humming

"Umpa Lumpa dippidee doo, we got a model built better than you"

"Umpa Lumpa dippidee dee, we really small only upto your knee"

All together now...."Umpa Lump..........

R

rjwood_uk

wow that is amazing!!! thanks alot for that richard. although the project is currently on pause for a number of reasons, very much apriciated

thanks alot

terry i dont know what your on but i want some what ever it is!!!

T

tigertc

One mans dream....wow. Wow again, triple wow.

Truly, the most astounding model I have seen thus far.

D

duncan

Agreed Terry, it was launched last year. I would love to have been there to see it go in the water. Cant wait for some pics of it underway. Sorry if we have left the original theme of the thread but that is the glory of the web, one thing leads to another. Cant seem to post any of the build pics, anyone want to have a go ?

R

rjwood_uk

it is impressive, but i think there is a point where a model is not a model anymore but a real boat! and i think they have crossed that line!!!

talk about what you want untill i get this back under way!!!

T

tigertc

Good point RJ, I guess it is a cruise boat. People can live,sleep , eat on it.

D

duncan

Sorry Bunkie, if you are getting the Wanadoo search engine page just try francois zanellas boat on it.

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks Duncan.

Well an amazing thing and in the most literal sense of the definition definately a model.

I do think it has gone over the line though and, as it has been built utilising normal shipbuilding skills and techniques and incorporating no modelling skills I have trouble considering it a model. Lets face it there are many hundreds of thousands of small boats out there considerably smaller than this all built without any modelling techniques.

Nevertheless a stunning acheivement and I am sure it would be very interesting to see it and sail in it but why on earth of all the ships out there he would choose one of the ugliest ones I don't know. I could see the point in the QE2, Norway, or any traditional liner but the Majesty of the Seas!!!

Ah well, takes all sorts. Thanks for the link Duncan, I am sure there are many varied views on this masterpeice.

D

duncan

Agreed on all points. I`d have gone for Norway or QE II. I dont see elegance in the most modern of floating sky-scrapers, QM II included.

B

Bunkerbarge

The fact that the QMII was built at the same yard as the Majesty of the Seas might have something to do with it. ...and the fact that it was French yard!!

R

rjwood_uk

ok i have picked up a cheap r/c car from boots.

i plan to utilise most of it electronics. hopefully i will make the servo's controll 2 cam shafts that will turn the turrets. i had thought of using the motors to power the props, but then im making a waterline model so thats pretty pointless.i might use them to power an altinator for some lights?

any thoughts or ideas/opinions will be most appriciated!!!

R

rjwood_uk

right, well after an un-planned break in this prject (excuse the pun) i now how a new kit (still need to get a new set of p/e details) but in the next week or so i will finaly manage to get back onto this project.

i have washed, sanded, washed and primed the new hull.

just waiting on some paints to get started properly again.

big thank you to toby (squiffythewombat) for his excellant service and cooperation (and patcience/putting up with me)

R

rjwood_uk

right, got new (in one piece) hull primed and painted.

i couldnt for the life of me get the masks for the lower red colour right but iv almost got it and with a bit of tinkering it should be mostly striaght and level!

anyways im happy with it and i think the colour tamiya's TS-33 (dull red) is beautifull and really does go well with the XF-12 (J.N. Grey) but im sure it would go lovely with british and american naval colours as well.

Richard or nigel (or anyone else with ship building experience....i know there is alot on here) can you give any tips on how to get the water-line straight for the furture? or is it just trial and error.

like i said, im happy with it.

(the front end look like it goes up a bit but i think that might be todo with the curvature of the vessel??)

comments would be great, sorry about the picture quality, the lighting was not good enough to get the focus right!

View attachment 14228

View attachment 14229

15.jpg

16.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard,

To get a waterline correct you must place the model in it's stand with the hull level and firmly held in place on a flat level surface such as a worktop. The hull should be primed with a matt primer. Get a block of wood with a nice flat base and attach a pencil to it with some sort of tape at the correct height of the waterline edge. The best place to use as the datum is at the stem post (bow).

Then simply drag the pencil around the hull by holding the block of wood and gently create the line in pencil around the hull.

This is the only way to create accurate waterlines as they always follow the shape of the waterplane at the top and bottom of the waterline, hence the actual width of the line varies with the angle of the hull, therefore using lining tape will never give an accurate waterline.

Once you have the top and bottom line you simply apply masking tape to the pencil line and paint between the tape.

I the past I have done the grey first, masked the top of the waterline only and sprayed black, then masked the bottom and painted the red last. This worked quite well for me and gave a very neat finish with an accurate waterline.

R

rjwood_uk

ahh no Richard this ship does not have a waterline in that sence, i simply ment the lint at which the red stops and the grey begins, but the wood and pencil method seems a good one, thanks alot!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Same procedure applies exept you only have one line to deal with rather than two.

S

squiffythewombat

Richard, its coming on well matey, thats going to look really nice once its finnished! (note: keep well away from sisters, lol)

R

rjwood_uk

right, iv got the funnel nearly done. just got to add some extra pipes to it, straighten out the black and add the mesh to the top.

had a bit of touble getting the walkway straight as it was not quite the right shape (it was a p/e part) so a bit of cutting and bending and iv got it the best i can! search lights arent fineshed, got to touch up a bit but i just stuck them on for the photo.

got the aft part of the deck down, this is the part where the planes come out of the hanger (that what those doors are) and a crain lift them up onto the main deck and onto the caterpault. Just waiting for the new p/e kit to come which should arive tomorrow before i can make the crain (which is entierly p/e apart from the base :S ) got the 25mm gun footplates down, just waiting for the new p/e set so i can do the sights for them.

i will hopefully have the front and rear deck down within a couple of weeks. Baring in mind i have to make another 2 45" turrets and one smaller one and lots of sights for the 25mm guns. the sights are all about 4mm long by 1 1/2 mm wide and have to be bent into quite a complicated form! about 10 minutes a pop and i have about 20 to do!!!

View attachment 14388

View attachment 14389

View attachment 14390

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Last edited: