Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster

First Name
Dave
View attachment 120948

\ said:
Now Dave you have created a fantastic Aircraft here and I'm sure I can say without a doubt all the guys have admired your patience on this build. When I first saw the decals I thought oh he's doing mini the mooch but then saw the write up and profile
Well put that man to do a bomber of such a notorious leader ( Guy Gibson is always remembered for the Dambusters but rarely is he seen in the light as what he was before 617 )

Really impressed with your thoughts on this AIrcraft designation

Well done

Robert
Here's the man himself in front of the aircraft in question.Id say he was a famous ,not notorious, leader.A great man at a time when Britain needed his kind.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, enjoying seeing this Lancaster come together. Gibson was certainly a controversial man of his time.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice work Dave, enjoying seeing this Lancaster come together. Gibson was certainly a controversial man of his time.
Controversial yes,but a fearless leader of men when his country needed him.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 121020

Still a bit of a join showing on top of the fuselage.Yet more filler!.And I've just remembered a fairing that fits the forward end of the fuselage around the nose turret.Dont want to paint it separately and risk a mismatch paint finish.If I glue it on now the turret won't go in after paint without removing the ammo boxes.Think I will have to carefully mask the glazed section and guns of the turret and glue everything on before painting.

View attachment 121021

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dubster72

Very nice Dave, I do enjoy spraying Xtracolor, they go down so smoothly & that shows on your Lanc

I

ian lanc

Hope the old decals serve their purpose! I've used up no end where the letters would not stay on the fuselage.

Please don't use the kits wing roundels ? The ones in the kit are actually 90 inch Manchester roundels, Lancaster roundels are 102 inch.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 121527

\ said:
Hope the old decals serve their purpose! I've used up no end where the letters would not stay on the fuselage.
Please don't use the kits wing roundels ? The ones in the kit are actually 90 inch Manchester roundels, Lancaster roundels are 102 inch.
Yes I spotted that.Ive an Xtradecal sheet with 100" roundels on it.ive also

Noticed Tamiya and the colour side profile show the individual code letter for W4118 is a Y. My book 'Avro Lancaster' by Francis Mason Lists the aircraft as having the letter Z.Which is good because I've not got any 48" Y's .But I've got Z's on a decal sheet!

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 121935

After the news over a week ago that I am about to be made redundant, ive not been able to concentrate on much since.But this evening I decided to get on with the Lancaster.Ive started the weathering process by mixing the green and the Dark earth with a drop of white,then spraying it in the centre of panels.Next I will mask the model and spray the black areas.Then do the same to that.This will be followed by gloss coat,decals,Matt coat,Oil paint weathering and finally another matt coat.Ive done two models like this so far and am very pleased with the results.

image.jpeg

N

noble

Sorry to hear about the news Dave, the Lanc however is coming along nicely.

scott

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry to hear the news. Hopefully you will find something else quickly.

In the meantime the Lancaster is looking good.

I

ian lanc

Being made redundant! That sucks in this day & age but I'm sure you'll soon get back into some kind of employment.

Keep up on the building of the Lanc' she's looking grand.