Tamiya F15C Eagle 1/32 scale

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have done the interior detail painting and applied a semi-gloss varnish. Amazing how the varnish just ‘lifts’ the appearance of the painted parts.

A few pics of some key elements

23F19DD2-5C54-495F-97A3-D097BBDC305A.jpeg

BD7F57F9-EA18-4B2E-BB37-A87E90CF2720.jpeg

C00A5825-B83B-452A-8AFB-A241A3CC7ED7.jpeg

I need to apply some decals, washes, then a semi-matt varnish before a spot of dry brushing. Then I will post some more pics of the interior before assembling these parts.

First Name
Gary
Love the detail. I am spending more time on my models doing it and really enjoying it. This does look a substantial kit of high quality

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Love the detail. I am spending more time on my models doing it and really enjoying it. This does look a substantial kit of high quality
That is exactly what you get with the newer Tamiya kits. You should give their 1/32 aircraft a go if you want detail and quality. This one is good, as good as the best from other manufacturers, but Tamiya have moved on and up even from this with their subsequent releases of the 1/32 F16 and all the 1/32 WW2 warbirds.

First Name
Gary
Probably too big to fit anywhere but I will give one a go in the future. I've done a few Tamiya 1/48 kits now and they are all recent or fairly recent re tools and the quality and design is superb. They think how it goes together very well and nearly always get it spot on. Much less fettling than with other models IMO

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have done some more sub-assembly construction.

Here is the nose underside showing the front wheel assembly in place.

I still have a little work to do in that area before I move on.

IMG_1948.jpg

Two views of the cockpit area.

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg
I cannot fault the fit.

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
No it’s facing the right way. The engineering means it can only fix one way.

the leg folds in forward into the fuselage. It is positioned to the rear of the pit.

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
More to update on soon but for now I have attached the wings. These are not very ‘Tamiya like’ for fit, there are gaps that need some filler. There is also a bit of a ridge but it’s the same on both sides so I am not convinced it a fit issue. I just ran some Vallejo Plastic Putty along the seam and wiped off the surplus with a cotton bud. I might find it needs a bit more work when I get a good look at it under primer.

D97C5053-677F-42E2-AA85-03D45A9BDBB0.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some more subs coming along.

The front section with the HUD. Simply black primed and dry brushed with Uschi metal powders.

IMG_1953.jpg

Some canopy parts prepped
IMG_1954.jpg

The canopy has quite a seam to deal with, a lot more pronounced that it is on new tooled kits.

IMG_1955.jpg

A scrape with a knife, then sanding with three grades of sanding stick including a polisher. It really needs dipping but I have never had success doing that. It looks fine though even if not perfect.

IMG_1957.jpg

The Gator Grip is ideal for this as it dries clear, The pic above is just after the parts were glued together so you can still see the white Gator Grip.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Barry

Just caught up on this. Yet again outstanding work.

ATB

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I fitted the wheels. they screw in with a good firm fix, no problems with these breaking...
IMG_1958.jpg
Note that the front wheel well covers are fitted closed.

I did a loose test fit of the nose and it looks like this is no tail sitter.
IMG_1959.jpg

It was a great fit so I went straight in with fixing it in place with screws and cement.
IMG_1960.jpg

The fit was perfect, the rear cockpit part was fitted again with screws, a couple more panels and we get this...
IMG_1961.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There is a nicely detailed radar set to go in the nose but I will building in my usual style with only the cockpit open. I will leave the nose cone to final fittings in case when fully loaded I need some weight inside it. I suspect weight won’t be needed though.