The Border Models 1/32 Lancaster BI/III

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, that yellow handrail that goes down into the bomb-aimer's office. In my partwork Lanc it said paint it yellow, and that's what it is in PA474 and Just Jane. The partwork also shows the fuselage handrails as yellow. I've seen one contemporary photo of it, in the pilot's notes, that shows it was even ever fitted in the cockpit. But is that the right colour for wartime or is it a post-war safety re-paint?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
So, that yellow handrail that goes down into the bomb-aimer's office. In my partwork Lanc it said paint it yellow, and that's what it is in PA474 and Just Jane. The partwork also shows the fuselage handrails as yellow. I've seen one contemporary photo of it, in the pilot's notes, that shows it was even ever fitted in the cockpit. But is that the right colour for wartime or is it a post-war safety re-paint?
Hi Steve
The bomb aimers handrail, from my sources, was indeed yellow.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have brought the cockpit and bomb aimers assemblies together. All fitted well but needed some tlc to get them together.
IMG_7568.jpeg

I have also worked on the outer clamshells, a bit of painting, windows and other ‘bits’ fitted. Hole drilled for antenna.
IMG_7569.jpeg

Here is a dry fit. Ignore the gaps, these are loose fitted and it all presses together effortlessly. You do have to fiddle a bit to get them into the correct positions.
IMG_7570.jpeg

I am not yet ready to glue these together as I want to build the front turret and test it to check I can position it after as a ‘final fitting’. I also want to check out the bomb bay as some reviews suggest that it is best fitted to the nose at this stage rather than later.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
An update on progress.

Over the last few weeks I have had a flare up of my back problem which has kept me off the bench. I have just done a few small bits but cannot sit for long because it aggravates the back.

Also, my son, who is working on an expedition cruise ship, the Silver Wind, has just secured me a 19 day cruise in the South Atlantic at very short notice. It is, overall rather expensive, specially as I have decided to fly to Santiago Chile in Business Class, as I believe the more comfortable seats will help with my back. Also given that we will be in the sub-Antarctic (South Georgia, Falklands etc) I need to get appropriate clothing and there are an awful lot of other arrangements needing to be made. Normally I book cruises 6 months ahead (and in warm places) which gives lots of time to plan, this time it’s all in a rush and I am amazed at how much has to be done so quickly! This has taken a lot of attention over the last few days and, over the next week I have a lot more prep to do. Another reason for bench time to be limited.

I am glad to be going though as I will get to spend more time with my son than I have in the last 10 years. Besides, I love cruises and it’s a great opportunity to see a very remote part of the world.

I will be flying out on the 1st March, returning on 23rd March. I might get a chance to do a little more on this and do a post before I go, but then I will not be posting anything else until the end of March.

Exciting few weeks ahead but busy ones.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Barry South Georgia is fantastic. I visited a while ago but it is astounding. Spent a day walking around an old whaling station at Gritviken. Met some of the locals!! Also took the opportunity to visit Shackleton's grave.
Untitled75.jpg

SGeorgie 19860010.jpg

Untitled77.jpg

Untitled83.jpg

Enjoy your cruise.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I understand a few of the chaps on here have been down there. They said the scenery was good, the food terrible and way to much walking. AND you had to carry your own baggage.

The build is coming along well. surprised about the decals though.