The Smythemeister's 1/48 ICM Bristol Beaufort Mk.1

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A'noon Gents,
As you know,I do like to have 2 builds on the go at once to vary the enjoyment,so, with my King Tiger awaiting some paint and Zimmermit supplies, I've pulled this out of the stash.....
IMG20230811134249.jpg
IMG_20230811_140431.jpg
A very nice instruction manual, quality looking decals,and some AM stuff there.Gotta admit, I've been itching to build this ever since I got it:tongue-out2:, don't know what it is with me and Torpedo Bombers at the moment!!
Sprue pics....
IMG20230811134833.jpg
IMG20230811135044.jpg
IMG20230811135521.jpg
There are two of the left hand side ones,(obviously!!),...
IMG20230811135735.jpg
Those clear parts do look particularly delicious :cool:....only thing about it,(if you can even see what I mean in this picture),is that most of the larger parts have this sort of strange "shimmer" on them....
IMG20230811135216.jpgI don't think it's grease.... anything I need to address in some way do you reckon?
Out of the FIVE options available i've decided to go for this one....
IMG20230811140204.jpg
.... Purely because,when I was stationed at RAF St.Mawgan,on Nimrods,in the 80's,I visited the old, abandoned St.Eval site, nearby,and looked into it's history.Such a shame that this,amongst SO MANY WW2 Airfields,has been completely forgotten about, despite the heroic missions that operated out of them.
Anyway,it looks a cracking kit,and I can't wait to get going :thumb2:.
As ever, anyone who'd like to clamber aboard will be most welcome :cool:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll follow this one. Love torpedo bombers as well…..this one is the missing link between the Blenheim and the Beaufighter isn’t it :thumb2: Not sure about the torpedo colours though, I think black warehead denotes a training fish. I’ve still got the references so I’ll look it up…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll follow this one. Love torpedo bombers as well…..this one is the missing link between the Blenheim and the Beaufighter isn’t it :thumb2: Not sure about the torpedo colours though, I think black warehead denotes a training fish. I’ve still got the references so I’ll look it up…..
Belay that Andy….cocked it up.
That’s an 18” mark XII torpedo. Colours as follows….
Black is operational.
Red is a dummy warhead on running motor.
Yellow is completely inert, used for loading and handling training. Neither motor or warehead is live.

More info, including a shot of your cover bird, here….

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Andy,
I would try the wam water & washing up liquid wash, to see if that has any effect........................
Dave
Forgot to say Dave, I think they are plastic flow marks. They seem to originate from the three part plastic ingates. It’s actually quite common if you look for it in a kit.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice one Andy, should be good. I’ll follow along for the ride :thumb2:

Geoff.
Good to see you Geoff,hop on !!:hugging-face:
I have a 72nd scaled kit, Andy and will watch for anything to improve on it. Looks like a big kit.

Cheers,
Wabble
Hi Richard, yep,it is quite large,very similar size to the Beaufighter I recently did :thumb2:
Great to see you Tim,yes, very much the "middle man" with the Beaufighter and Blenheim,both of which I really like also! Thanks for the info in that link,read it all through.... interesting stuff :cool:,and the explanation of the "shimmering" too.
Andy,
I would try the wam water & washing up liquid wash, to see if that has any effect........................
Dave
Thanks Dave, I've heard of doing that to sprues before but never actually done it myself :thinking:
Andy,
Seat at the front please.
Of course Scottie, welcome aboard buddy :thumb2:
Parachute packed and onboard
Hi Mick,jump on .....why the parachute mate..... hope you're not going to bail out on me if things start goin Pete Tong?!!:tears-of-joy:
I was going to say that too: my guess is they probably result from using plastic of two (slightly) different colours, like perhaps recycled plastic that’s already been used previously mixed in with new? Nothing to worry about, anyway.
Cheers Jakko, that's a relief,I was worried that it might affect the paint adhesion somehow :dizzy:
Looks a nice kit Andy. I'll join the gathering.
Welcome along Jim, good to see you,put the first few stages together already, and if it's how it's going to be all the way through then it really is a cracking kit :cool:

....... well chaps,as I just said,a good start has been made, with more bench time available today,so later I should have enough for a proper update ;)
Thanks to you all for your interest in this one,cheers for now......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... Me again!!!....
As an aside, for anyone who's interested in the background of this build, here's what happened to Beaufort OA-X.....
Screenshot_2023-08-12-09-35-57-65.jpg
.... and at just 23 years old!

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,I've got a "lads night in",(ok, just me and Cohan!!)..so I should get loads of stuff done tonight...Rach has just gone off all dressed up for a 70's glam rock fancy dress, "ABBA Glam night", with her friends:flushed:
... What a transformation that is!!:dizzy::tears-of-joy:!!
Anyway... the build should come along nicely in the next few hours I hope:thumb2:.