The Smythemeister's 1/48 ICM Bristol Beaufort Mk.1

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Andy.

I had the same issue with some of my AM pilots....which is a real shame.

Keep up the good work!

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What if you heat his knees and carefully bend them a little? You can probably do that pretty well with a soldering iron held close to them (don’t touch it to the pilot!). Also, the pilot would have sat on a parachute, which is why the seat has that tray. Fill that with some plastic card and have the pilot figure sit on that?

He still won’t reach the controls, of course, but maybe he’s just sitting in his plane mentally preparing himself for the flight :smiling3:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
YaHi:sad-face:... so,if we're all still on board,ere be some stuff...
View attachment 488634
There were no decals,or hints really,at all with that rear panel,so I made it up with brush painting from a few ref pics... and it turns out that you won't see hardly any of it at all!!
So,after all that wasted time on that panel navigator's station,at last i got the kit supplied decals on the controls on the pilot's area.....
View attachment 488635
Looking pretty smart I reckon,well chuffed :cool:.. next,a bit of a warning, for anyone who wants to build this..
View attachment 488638
Dry fit,dry fit and DRY FIT!!... The kit is excellent IMHO, however there are a few pit falls to avoid.. like getting the cockpit "steps" to alighn ;)
Other than that.. a GREAT KIT so far:cool:

BTW guys, you know me better than that!! Those decals were,and excuse my language here... CRAP!! .. I painted over,and glossed them,then fitted some 3d printed ones from the stash... Here's what it looks like now...
View attachment 488639
View attachment 488640
I think that's an improvement... Been working on the crew too,but that's for another day ;)
Cheers guys, until later...
Wow that’s sweet Andy nice start seated by Scottie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Three pages in and I've only just caught up, do excuse me.
Anyway, great stuff going on here. I can see why you upgraded the IP.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Whoa, how did I miss this one. Sorry buddy. Classic WW2 A/C being reproduced brilliantly.
Now I know - I'll be watching on with interest. (Possibly jealously as the navigator has so much room!!! I would have loved to have had a table to spread the maps on ;) ).

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evening guys,
I'll address your very kind posts in my next update,thank you :thumb2:,
For now though, here's what I've done on this one recently... thought I'd take a break from the King Tiger..
IMG20230925171756.jpg
As you can see, I've done some wing stuff...
IMG20230925180524.jpg
... and the next step was starting the clear bits,(just plonked on there:hugging-face:),.....
IMG20230925180848.jpg
IMG20230925190104.jpg
Took me AGES just to get that bit done.... and there's TWO more sheets of the stuff to do!! :astonished:..
.. not to worry though.. it's a very enjoyable build... will be cracking on with it after work tomorrow :thumb2:.
As always, thanks for looking in, your thoughts/comments/plain old abuse,is very welcome :smiling4:.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Coming on nicely Andy.

I had the same issue with some of my AM pilots....which is a real shame.

Keep up the good work!

Andrew
Cheers Andrew,yeah, Pilotgate was rather annoying, but it'll just have to go without :thumb2:
What if you heat his knees and carefully bend them a little? You can probably do that pretty well with a soldering iron held close to them (don’t touch it to the pilot!). Also, the pilot would have sat on a parachute, which is why the seat has that tray. Fill that with some plastic card and have the pilot figure sit on that?

He still won’t reach the controls, of course, but maybe he’s just sitting in his plane mentally preparing himself for the flight :smiling3:
Thanks Jakko,I did consider your suggestion,but as it'll be closed up anyway,I just left him out all together ;)
Wow that’s sweet Andy nice start seated by Scottie
Cheers Lee,and welcome aboard...watch Scottie with biscuits mind!:tears-of-joy:
Very nice so far Andy :thumb2:

It’s turning into a fitting tribute to those very brave young men.

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff,I hope so,such a sad action though:flushed:
Neat interiorwork Andy!
Thank you Fernando,and good to see you around again mate :thumb2:
Three pages in and I've only just caught up, do excuse me.
Anyway, great stuff going on here. I can see why you upgraded the IP.
No excusing required Colin,nice to see you pop in.... yes,the "upgrade" definitely improved it, although not exactly accurate... but I won't tell if you don't!;)
Whoa, how did I miss this one. Sorry buddy. Classic WW2 A/C being reproduced brilliantly.
Now I know - I'll be watching on with interest. (Possibly jealously as the navigator has so much room!!! I would have loved to have had a table to spread the maps on ;) ).
Hi Doug,and thanks! Now now, don't be jealous..... if the size of Newspapers from that era are anything to go by,then their maps would've been ENORMOUS!! :astonished::tears-of-joy:
I don't envy you all that masking! One of the worst parts of these flying things :smiling5:
Ha!! Yes Andy, certainly the most masking I've tackled on a single plane before!!:flushed:

........ I've been busy,an update to follow shortly......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... cont'd.....
Well then,the Maskathon did commence....
IMG20230929172931.jpg
IMG20230929172919.jpg
IMG20230929171207.jpg
..... and there's more yet to come!! :astonished: .....
IMG20230929171036.jpg
A couple of bits need tweaking,but in general I think they've gone in pretty well :thumb2:, one thing that seems to have been left out are any masks for the wing tip lights,which come as one long clear part?!... should be easy enough to knock a couple up mind.
Believe it or not,this wasn't the mind numbingly boring experience that I was expecting,in fact it was a rather pleasing phase of the build:thumb2:.
I've also done a few sub assemblies,but that's for the next update..... cheers for now!

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The instructions say you have to use liquid masking agent, which I presume is why you asked about it in another thread, but why not just stick a bit of tape over that instead?

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The instructions say you have to use liquid masking agent, which I presume is why you asked about it in another thread, but why not just stick a bit of tape over that instead?
Hi Jakko,yes, that's exactly why I asked in the other thread,(which I'll be looking in on in a mo),
Certainly some round,punched,bits of masking tape would suffice for a few of those areas,but one or two other places are a bit trickier,so I thought I'd give liquid Mask a go,it would also come in handy in the future for AFV camo:thumb2:.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jakko,yes, that's exactly why I asked in the other thread,(which I'll be looking in on in a mo),
Certainly some round,punched,bits of masking tape would suffice for a few of those areas,but one or two other places are a bit trickier,so I thought I'd give liquid Mask a go,it would also come in handy in the future for AFV camo:thumb2:.
Must admit I just reuse old bits of Tamiya tape for those areas Andy. You can pile scrap bits on top of other scrap bits. They all come off cleanly in the end. I haven’t used liquid masking for many years.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Must admit I just reuse old bits of Tamiya tape for those areas Andy. You can pile scrap bits on top of other scrap bits. They all come off cleanly in the end. I haven’t used liquid masking for many years.
yep,i generally do use old scraps of tamiya tape and vinyl camo masks wherever possible,(and still will),just curious about the liquid stuff to save time for the trickier places/shapes:thinking:.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Late to the party again , sorry mate. Its looking excellent andy , shame about the pilots rigor mortis but im sure he’ll be flying sometime soon in something else. The masks are a godsend on canopies like this arent they , worth every penny . Cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
re your pilot - isn't he missing his seat parachute pack? - this would push his backside higher & perhaps he might fit a kittle more realistically?
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Certainly some round,punched,bits of masking tape would suffice for a few of those areas,but one or two other places are a bit trickier
Just tear off a bit of masking tape, and tear it smaller if it’s too big? Or cut a piece from the leftovers of the masking set?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
yep,i generally do use old scraps of tamiya tape and vinyl camo masks wherever possible,(and still will),just curious about the liquid stuff to save time for the trickier places/shapes:thinking:.
Remember you only have to close the hole so it doesn’t have to conform to the surface too well. The kit masks will do the edges for you!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys :thumb2:
... the masking was completed,and primer applied....
....IMG20231004164258.jpg
IMG20231004164327.jpg
Then a bit of filling here and there, before the "Sky" applied to the underside..
IMG20231005163712.jpg
IMG20231005171516.jpg
Tomorrow I'm hoping to begin the camo ....... that's my favourite bit of these Wingy things!!:cool:;)
Should be a good update coming over the next couple of days :thumb2:,
Not a very interesting post I know,but it's on it's way!!