The Smythemeister's 1/48 ICM Bristol Beaufort Mk.1

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A quick update for where we got to last night while Rach was out strutting her stuff!;)
First page of instructions completed, not that you can see much of it in this pic, but there's quite a bit of good detail, and,the fit,so far,is superb....an absolute pleasure to build....
IMG20230812140209.jpg
I'm going for a bit of a "well worn" look on this one,(no particular reason, just fancied it for a change),so I've scuffed up the interior somewhat, there's quite a bit of bulkhead/controls/ancillary stuff to go in yet,so much of it will not be seen.....
IMG20230812203020.jpg
Page 2 of the instructions has just about been completed too,but more of that later:thumb2:.As always, thanks for looking in,any thoughts or plain old abuse more than welcome :hugging-face:.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Look good Andy.

I have heard ICM can sometimes uses 6 parts - albeit vey nicely done - when one will do. Is that what you're seeing. I only ask because I have a 1/72 Do 215 in the stash.

ATB

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Look good Andy.

I have heard ICM can sometimes uses 6 parts - albeit vey nicely done - when one will do. Is that what you're seeing. I only ask because I have a 1/72 Do 215 in the stash.

ATB

Andrew
..... To a degree yes,a good case in point is in stage 2 of the build,if you look at the pic above, you can see it IS actually 6 parts to make, basically,a box with strut type things.It could quite easily have been one moulded part, however,it does all fit very nicely,and it ain't too fiddly either..... in 1/72 it might not be such a breeze !! ;)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Almost, but not quite as bad as MiniArt!
Dave

..... To a degree yes,a good case in point is in stage 2 of the build,if you look at the pic above, you can see it IS actually 6 parts to make, basically,a box with strut type things.It could quite easily have been one moulded part, however,it does all fit very nicely,and it ain't too fiddly either..... in 1/72 it might not be such a breeze !! ;)

Thanks guys!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
We don't see enough Beauforts built. Very moving story behind the 1:1 too.
Pete
Cheers Pete,
I like all the early war British bomber type planes...
.. my aim is to do them all...
... although there doesn't seem to be a Hampden in 1/48?!
Yes,the story is great isn't it,all these great feats are, unfortunately, completely forgotten about now:sad-face:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
..... Me again!!!....
As an aside, for anyone who's interested in the background of this build, here's what happened to Beaufort OA-X.....
View attachment 488378
.... and at just 23 years old!
Finally had a chance to read that Andy....

Now that is bravery of the highest order.

They would have known there was only one outcome.... And yet they pressed home the attack.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Finally had a chance to read that Andy....

Now that is bravery of the highest order.

They would have known there was only one outcome.... And yet they pressed home the attack.

Thanks for sharing.
Not a problem Andrew...
These heroics should never be forgotten about I think.. although the scum that are inhabiting this "green and pleasant land" are quickly trying to eradicate it all,(guess this will be deleated for being un PC, despite the fact it is the truth),
Anyway.. the build progress...

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
YaHi:sad-face:... so,if we're all still on board,ere be some stuff...
IMG20230814200956.jpg
There were no decals,or hints really,at all with that rear panel,so I made it up with brush painting from a few ref pics... and it turns out that you won't see hardly any of it at all!!
So,after all that wasted time on that panel navigator's station,at last i got the kit supplied decals on the controls on the pilot's area.....
IMG20230814201047.jpg
Looking pretty smart I reckon,well chuffed :cool:.. next,a bit of a warning, for anyone who wants to build this..
IMG20230815170127.jpg
Dry fit,dry fit and DRY FIT!!... The kit is excellent IMHO, however there are a few pit falls to avoid.. like getting the cockpit "steps" to alighn ;)
Other than that.. a GREAT KIT so far:cool:

BTW guys, you know me better than that!! Those decals were,and excuse my language here... CRAP!! .. I painted over,and glossed them,then fitted some 3d printed ones from the stash... Here's what it looks like now...
IMG20230815170507.jpg
IMG20230815171550.jpg
I think that's an improvement... Been working on the crew too,but that's for another day ;)
Cheers guys, until later...

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi..... Cont'd...
So then,ere be updates... Page 2 and 3 of the instructions completed,so ...
IMG20230817171242.jpg
All tis a nice fit, although a bit flimsy in places,so a pre glue test is definitely worth while.The kit itself is superbly crafted, IMHO, but needs checking here and there ;)....
IMG20230817171452.jpg
The navigator might look familiar,(that's because I rescued him from my binned Blenheim build!!),so, despite the fact that he's got a map on his lapboard,I put a map on his desk :thumb2:,ironic thing is.. ALL of that centre,Nav area,will completely disappear!!:tired:.. I knew that.. but STILL added it all!!?:thinking:
Next up,a different angle...
IMG20230817171816.jpg
It's all proceeding rather nicely imo,and, what's more important,a pleasure :hugging-face:.You can see there,that the pilot's position is vacant, that's because....
IMG20230817171552.jpg
.. he's obviously still under way, not even primered yet,but will be soon:thumb2:..
I'm getting into this Wingy fing lark... But back to the King Tiger tomorrow, more about that on "latest acquisitions" later!!
Thanks for looking in,and your thoughts,if any!!:tears-of-joy:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That was a sobering read about the attack Andy . What a sacrifice they made .No doubt the navigator was awarded as well ?

I fully agree with your thoughts !!!.

Seat please next to your assistant Cohan and love to Rach.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That was a sobering read about the attack Andy . What a sacrifice they made .No doubt the navigator was awarded as well ?

I fully agree with your thoughts !!!.

Seat please next to your assistant Cohan and love to Rach.
Yep, certainly makes you think about all of the heroic, individual acts that went on,but have been totally lost to time :disappointed2:, I've only heard that the Pilot got the V.C. but that's just from what I have seen.It would seem unfair to me if the Navigator and Gunner received nothing at all?!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

Well,a small update.....
.... and an enforced change of plan!
The Pilot doesn't fit!! The bucket seat,angle and length of his legs are all wrong......
IMG20230819165721.jpg
So, despite the fact that I've already put the navigator in,I've decided to go down the seatbelt route,(when it's buttoned up he'll only be visible via two tiny portholes,so not at all really ;) ) .......
IMG20230819182726.jpg
Just need to tidy up some of the sloppy paintwork, straighten up that control panel decal which has slipped,(you can see that in the previous update),and then it'll be time to fit the two halves together, should be later today :thumb2:
Until then.......