Three 120mm Vignettes for Richard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I can see what you mean about the coat being 'flat'. Having said that I think he looks great. The rifle and the coat overlap kinda cover the flat area. The dirt around the hem also looks realistic. A great result from a 'bag of bits'
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Jim - I was pleased when I realised that the rifle to be placed at the front.

This will be the next figure:

100_2365.JPG

This is a mix of Verlinden and Dragon parts and will hopefully make up into an officer. I'm hoping that it will pull together the previous two figures to make up a vignette.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Glad I could be of some little assistance Peter.

Though you have already put your figure in the OK category, it is still top notch by the standards of any aspiring figure painter

Myself firmly in the aspiring to even get the brushes back out again!

Love the string on the panzerfaust, it epidermises The VolkGrenadiers and Berlin March 1945.

Your next figure has a camo smock?

Looking forward to your progress when I get back this evening.

Very well finished Peter

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for checking in Steve - I can always rely on you and it's much appreciated.

As you say, I'm a bit meh about this one as I feel the greatcoat defeated me. The only other way to have done it would have been to go for extreme highlights on each panel, something that would require a lot of blending and is only really possible with oils.

The next one does have a camo smock - I'm building up to doing the winter-attired figures in this batch. I'm going to paint him as an Heer officer wearing splinter. The head is a Dragon one which I've painted before so hopefully there will be no problems......

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Scottie - Cheers mate.

Richard - Don't know about being on a roll. Took a long time to get something going with this one. Many thanks.

Steve - Glad you like him so far. Funnily enough, just after I finished this one I discovered a little box on top of a cupboard which contained a completed, painted head and set of equipment - would have been ideal. Will come in handy though.

It's amazing Peter the things we squirrel away and forget about :smiling:

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Mick. Thanks also for taking the time to comment. Means a lot.

As for the stuff found on top of the cupboard, it's a head for a German officer with a complete set of equipment, and the worse thing is that I can't remember painting them. Old age is beckoning...

D

Deleted member 6559

OK, the thing's built:

100_2366.JPG

Getting the arms to fit was quite tricky, and in fact I had to abandon my first choice of left arm and opt for another. He'll be simply equipped with a Tokarev pistol, holster and binoculars, and with a grenade tucked into his boot. The helmet has a camouflaged cover.

I also painted the head:

100_2368.JPG100_2369.JPG

Another great Dragon head, which was very nice to paint. I haven't done too much work on the hair as of course it will be hidden by the helmet. I had to give him a scar, as a mould mark started to emerge under the paint.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

Another super head, it reminds me of Daniel Romero, and though you will deny it, there is definitely a look of Calvin Tan in your style too.

There are subtle areas of change in your blending, from when I first found your figure painting on MM, which keep edging that bar ever upward

Humm, camo, your nemesis!

Though it does seem to drive you to distraction, you do prevail with a realistic rendition of which ever variety you are attempting.

Is there any variety that you look at and think, "Not today!"

Look forward to today's work, perhaps a twist with the helmet camo cover?

As always, great work

Regards

Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter,

If I was in a football match with you, I'd be loosing 6 to 1. I'm still at my Paratrooper and you're on the sixth figure. The spares are coming together really nicely.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - If I had even 1% of Calvin's skill, I'd be a happy man. I hate painting all camo, but oak leaf is my absolute no-no.

Richard - Well, I have the time....

Camo done:

100_2370.JPG100_2372.JPG100_2373.JPG

Hmmmm. Not sure....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's terrific camo work. Very impressive. Looks like you are enjoying this one

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Another triumph Peter.Camo looks spot on and a nice change to Waffen ss type.Head suits our man very well.Carry on Carruthers.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you chaps. I'm not that pleased with the camo. I would normally paint it a bit dulled down in order to let the personal equipment stand out, but as this man doesn't have much gear I tried to make the pattern more strident. I'll finish it though, and see how I feel.

D

Deleted member 6559

Decided that I wasn't happy with this one, so have binned it. The camo just wasn't up to scratch and I know I can do better. On to the next.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:anguished: what ! .Steady on Peter,. have some patience, we all thought it was good.
How many times have you done this, it's a shame when you bin something so good.I know you have your reasons and that's the way you are.
Knowing you like I do, the next will be superb, keep smiling and painting .
John .:crying:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

He looked the business on the bus home last night, and as John said, ""you have your reasons""

Could I put my address on your figure Bin? LOL

I am sure after a dip and strip, some time in the future, he will rise from the paint fumes to a better reincarnation.

Eric was very photogenic and looked the part from where we all are.

What have you got planned for today?

Re use the head or a complete fresh start, to cleanse the palette and clear the air?

Looking forward to a treat tonight

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John and Steve

Well, he niggled. I kept going to look at it trying to figure out what was wrong and finally decided it was clumsy painting - one must have standards! He was already consigned to the back of the cabinet, and as that's crowded already....

I sorted through the rest last night and decided that the figures wearing winter gear will not be wearing camo - just early war field grey. It will be more fun to do and should avoid disasters.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

This is more like it!

s-l225.jpg

Included in Richard's stash was this complete figure. I'm going to paint him re the box art, i.e with no camo!

The build was very quick and easy, so I had time to paint a head (one of Richard's spares, not sure who it's by) and the extras:

100_2376.JPG100_2378.JPG100_2375.JPG

The clothing is particularly well rendered. I'm looking forward to painting it.