Tonys Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zero

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Oh look, paint. Nice. Is there more chipping to come ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Oh look, paint. Nice. Is there more chipping to come ?
A bit more colin but not too much , at this early stage of the pacific war they wouldnt have been too weathered , plus I think the naval zeros kept their paint on a bit better , probably down to the primer .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As usual the weekend is about the only time i get to the bench , so progress has been slow . An hour today saw me finish off the chipping and wear and get the cowling primed red . This will be hairsprayed like the airframe and lightly chipped after its had a coat of blue black . As the machine i’m doing is a mitsubishi built one ,the hinomaru are plain red ( the Nakajima built machines had a white surround ) . So as its a simple mask job i decided to spray them instead of using the decals .Out came the Compass cutter and wide masking tape was applied to some shiny label backing paper , making an easy mask . Meatballs anyone? :smiling::hungry:IMG_2602.jpegIMG_2601.jpegIMG_2603.jpegIMG_2604.jpegIMG_2605.jpeg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Tony, but I am weeks late commenting on your GB build. I just did a ketchup and, as usual, you are doing your magic once again. I am surprised that you have stepped up in scale and I can finally see what you are doing. Top job and the sprayed Hinomaru's have really turned out great, Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As usual the weekend is about the only time i get to the bench , so progress has been slow . An hour today saw me finish off the chipping and wear and get the cowling primed red . This will be hairsprayed like the airframe and lightly chipped after its had a coat of blue black . As the machine i’m doing is a mitsubishi built one ,the hinomaru are plain red ( the Nakajima built machines had a white surround ) . So as its a simple mask job i decided to spray them instead of using the decals .Out came the Compass cutter and wide masking tape was applied to some shiny label backing paper , making an easy mask . Meatballs anyone? :smiling::hungry:View attachment 482413View attachment 482414View attachment 482415View attachment 482416View attachment 482417
That's looking very nice indeed there Tony, fantastic stuff mate. :smiling3:
The sprayed on roundal is top drawer ;)

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Love those painted Hinomaro's Tony, :thumb2: I did try to cut mine out but my cutter wouldn't go down that far... :anguished:

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
As usual the weekend is about the only time i get to the bench , so progress has been slow . An hour today saw me finish off the chipping and wear and get the cowling primed red . This will be hairsprayed like the airframe and lightly chipped after its had a coat of blue black . As the machine i’m doing is a mitsubishi built one ,the hinomaru are plain red ( the Nakajima built machines had a white surround ) . So as its a simple mask job i decided to spray them instead of using the decals .Out came the Compass cutter and wide masking tape was applied to some shiny label backing paper , making an easy mask . Meatballs anyone? :smiling::hungry:View attachment 482413View attachment 482414View attachment 482415View attachment 482416View attachment 482417
Awesome work Tony looks very nice and clean.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant work. Do tell, what magical thing is this compass cutter you have.
@colin m
Here it is colin , a cheap enough little tool , very useful. It only goes down to about 9mm diameter though , so below that youre into punch and die territory . It comes with about 4 spare blades too . John used to have them in the SM shop but theyre marked as discontinued , i found this one on Ebay though https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23346766...4CImzeiQa2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Cheers tonyIMG_2635.jpegIMG_2636.jpegIMG_2637.jpegIMG_2638.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done today . After looking at the decals and paint guide I realised that there were more markings that I could mask up and paint. Theres a red band around the rear fuselage and two yellow bands across the tail .The easiest way to mask up a 8mm parallel band like this is to cut a piece of masking tape the width that you need then apply it to the model making sure its straight . You will get a bit of creasing at the back edge but this doesnt matter as its only a guide for the actual masking . Now cut some thinner strips of masking tape , about 1-2 mm and apply these upto the edges of the 8mm piece . Once done take out the 8 mm piece and finish masking up ( in this case after i had added a bit more masking i just used cling film to protect the rest of it . Same goes for the tail bands .IMG_2629.jpegIMG_2630.jpegIMG_2631.jpegIMG_2632.jpegIMG_2633.jpegIMG_2639.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Damn fine workmanship Tony! this whole build has been bumped up several notches, I suspect you'll be hearing from the committee shortly as the "Dog's" is defo in the future of this one. :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have just contacted the head of the Committee Tony so we'll see what happens.......PCO Sir.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes Tony the Committee have been made aware of this very fine build. They are now watching intently.

So I'm late in, been busy in the garden .
Must agree with the gang some really fine work .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks everyone for the fine comments . @Mini Me & @John Race thanks for the nomination , ill try and keep a steady hand now , with the beady eyes of the committee watching over my shoulder !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Masking now off the tail and leading edge chipped , its now ready for the very few decals ( one each side of the tail , one on the port rear fuselage and some little ones on the undercarriage doors and propeller blades ) ive also been addressing the scoop under the rear of the cowling. Tamiya have just left it open , whereas i think the real thing had a filter screen . To simulate this I robbed the wifes sewing box and got some Bias binding . Dont know what this stuffs supposed to be for but I do know it makes a good mesh when painted and drybrushed ! This will be cut to shape and possibly backed with a bit of plastic card . More on this tomorrow, cheers tonyIMG_2646.jpegIMG_2648.jpeg