Tonys Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zero

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Masking has worked a treat. Looks great. I never considered Cling-film for protecting large areas but it sounds like an idea well worth remembering.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Decals ( all 13 of them ! ) now on and drying . Ive added the mesh screen to the scoop with the bias binding and given it a drybrush to highlight the weave . Next up get the airframe sealed with a satin finish - photos show these early zeros with quite a clean , polished finish . Then im going to add a brake line to the undercarriage before that goes on . IMG_2649.jpegIMG_2650.jpegIMG_2651.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Exquisite workmanship Tony.....loving the chipped edge on the vertical stab. :thumb2:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Very, very nice Tony :thumb2:

I’d never heard of bias binding but it looks very effective.

Geoff.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This has now had a final semi gloss finish coat , and the canopies have been demasked, which i was really chuffed about as theyve turned out lovely ( compared to the last canopy unmasking :tired:) .
IMG_2657.jpegIMG_2658.jpegIMG_2659.jpegIve given the control surfaces and specific access panels ( guns mainly ) an oil wash which will be cleaned up tomorrow . Ive also got the cowling fixed on , this was a bit of a vague fit , being a bit loose and not much contact points to glue to. I added a few bits of plasticard in strategic places and an L shaped bracket to give a firm fixing. Next job get the undercarriage fitted , clean up the oil wash and fit the last few bits ( aerial, pitot , mass balances , drop tank )

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Calling this done now , the final few bits have been fitted . The oil wash has been cleaned up and a little bit of sooty deposits round the guns and exhausts added with pigments . Ive used fishing line for the aerial , and blobs of pva for the insulators and tensioning springs . Its been a great kit to do , not overly complicated and as a result ive managed to finish it in five weeks! Usually I miss the deadline on GBs but ive come in nearly two months early . Heres a couple of pics to round off the thread and I’ll put a completed thread up later ,thanks to @KarlW for getting this GB going , cheers tonyIMG_2668.jpegIMG_2670.jpegIMG_2681.jpegIMG_2677.jpeg

Last edited: