Trumpeter 1/32 Fairy Swordfish Mk 1

B

Bunkerbarge

Great story and a great build thread of an amazing aircraft. Everything being exposed will make this a superb model subject and allow clear views of the internals.

You are also doing a cracking job of the interior shading, your three part process works extreemly well.

First Name
Dave
Coming along nicely Barry.Are you going to paint the doped fabric areas inside the fuselage?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Dave - looking at the model it looks as if there are metal plates along the fuse with the doped fabric areas being wings, tail and control surfaces which are camo'd. The inside of the fuse is painted as per the instructions in cockpit green.

Anyway what with preparing for the holiday I did not get as long as I hoped last night and just sprayed the fuel tank red. It looks rather glossy only because it has only just been sprayed. As this will only be glimpsed through some holes/gaps (maybe!) I did not smooth the joints.

View attachment 117424

That is it now for a couple of weeks. I am on a flight to Stockholm early Friday morning to catch a ship for a Baltic cruise, my longest holiday for many years a whole 12 nights. Ian Muddle - we will be over your way in Copenhagen towards the end of the trip....any tips on what to see?

IMG_0462.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Copenhagen is very nice Barry, I visit for business often. The royal palaces and little mermaid are popular so is Tivoli gardens. Ian M gave me some model shop info a while back but I cannot find it right now.

If you are visiting Riga on your cruise you might want to pay a flying visit to the Latvian air museum at the airport, lots of soviet aircraft in the open air to view. The old town of Riga is nice in the summer.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ian Muddle - we will be over your way in Copenhagen towards the end of the trip....any tips on what to see?
AS Rick wrote, Tivoli gardens are well worth a visit. Copenhagen as it is is also OK to have a walk around in. loads of places to eat and drink. I assume that you will have the good lady with, so a walk down "Strøget" A walking street will be great for her and bad for your wallet! lol.

As for model shops, not to many in DK there is a great one on Frederiksberg. Stoppel Hobbies. http://www.stoppel.dk/shop/frontpage.html There is a shopping center nearby where you can park the misses... :smiling:

Loving the build and would like to have a crack at the string bag in a large scale so am following the thread to see how she builds up.

Regarding the wing sag, a square section brass rod might get you over that issue. Has worked for me with other 'droopers'.

Ian M

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Many thanks Ian and Rick.... I may be kind enough to suggest that Janet might want to go shopping, no ulterior motive of course....

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work so far Barry

The IP turned out very nice and the interior is really coming together. With regards to the antenna fixing on the fin: I think you did the right thing by cutting it off. You will find the very same problem if you ever build the new-tool Revell 1/32 Spit. After building 3 (with 3 to go) I gave up on trying to save the fragile fitting and began cutting them off and reattaching them during the finishing phase of the build.

Enjoy your trip to Copenhagen.

Cheers

P

First Name
Jason
Great start Barry, the paintwork on the interior is very nice indeed. You just can't beat a cruise, hope you and the good lady have a fantastic time and I look forward to a build update when you get back.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great Barry. I've built a 1:72 Airfix (Great kit) and have a 1:48 Tamiya ready for the off, so I'll keep an eye on your build for the extra detail info'.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well I have been back a couple of days and have so far been able to lay down a gloss coat, apply AK Brown pin wash, a matt coat and done some dry brushing. I have also been attaching Eduard seat harnesses. These are essential as the kit pe is totally inadequate. I have also started putting together the interior structure.

View attachment 118710

View attachment 118711

View attachment 118712

Below is how the cockpit interior now looks.

View attachment 118713

I have fitted some glass

Next I will finish the interior construction and will take some pics before I join the fuselage.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looking really good.Some great detail in that cockpit.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That is a great cockpit - plenty of detail!!:cool::cool:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good Barry. The detail looks awesome and I look forward to the day I finally start mine.

Just read back through the thread and your question regards the spent cartridge bag reminds me of my Trumpeter Stuka. I asked the very same question in that build too, must be peculiar to 1/32 Trumpeter 2 seaters!

This is going to look stunning once complete - fully rigged biplanes just are great looking models.

Cheers

Paul

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks everyone... now for last night's progress. A few more sub-assemblies done, the stabs and engine with the latter awaiting painting. I have also run some Mr Dissolved Putty along the seams on the fuselage. The sanding sticks will come out tonight and hopefully I will have time to spray some Gunze buffable metaliser on the engine.

View attachment 119052

View attachment 119053

View attachment 119054

Enjoying this build, the fit is excellent so far.

It is a bit different to most aircraft builds, I am working slowly and deciding on the paint sequence as I progress. I expect I will have to paint the camo before the wings are attached.

One question.....

Some research I have done suggests the lower wings should be painted in lighter 'shadow' shades, Dark Sea Grey/Slate Grey rather than Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey as per the rest of the plane. The instructions say the latter on the lower wings as well as the rest. Does anyone know what would be correct?

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work so far Barry,very nice detail in the cockpit,and like the looks of the engine as well, ;)