Trumpeter 1/32 Fairy Swordfish Mk 1

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good so far, a great recovery Barry. Hope all goes well later.

D

dubster72

Looks perfect to me Barry! Lovely finish on the paintwork

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great recovery Barry. Looking the business.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice (and tempting). H looks fine to me, lucky that is was not an S.....they're hard.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Nice work Barry.I spoke to my work colleague about his drooping wings.Reckons he assembled both models correctly.But the wings drooped over a period of time.Hes only got one swordfish now.A die cast 1/32 mosquito fell onto one from a high up shelf and wrecked it!.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Making progress, but slowly, mainly because of the time I have had available over the past couple of weeks.

I have painted and weathered the torpedo. I used Gunze buffable iron for the body, the AK wax True Metal Old Bronze paint for the torps prop and matt black for the warhead. Weathering was simply giving the iron a good buffing, some silver pencil to make some chips and scratches to the warhead and a wash on the fuselage attachments.

View attachment 122088

I have been doing a panel-line pin wash over the glossed camo work. I have used the AKI panel line wash for 'Grey-Green Camo'. It flows well into the detail and is removed using their odourless thinners with a flat brush. By brushing in the direction of the airflow you can get a very good effect.

View attachment 122089

View attachment 122090

I think you can get an idea of the effect above.

I have just done the first matt coat ready to apply other weathering finishes such as some dry brushing and pigments.

I should have some more pics in a day or two.

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's all looking lovely. Thanks for the 'putty' tip. I've ordered some.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have applied the final matt coat using the AKI Ultra Matt Varnish. Masks are now off and I have done some touching up.

View attachment 122336

I had a problem when I started removing the masking from the transparency as it pushed the transparency in. Above you can see how it had fallen down. I ended up holding the fuselage above me on its side juggling it to see if I could work the transparency into place. It eventually worked.

View attachment 122337

Above shows it back in place. When holding it on its side I touched a corner with extra thin cement and it managed to wick in and hold it.

View attachment 122338

Above, job done. Not perfect as one corner is not quite right into the frame and I had to use sharp pointed tweezers to pull away the mask which scratched the transparency. The good news is that it is difficult to see and could easily be cracked glass.

I have also put together the undercarriage.

View attachment 122339

Here are some pics of the cockpit.

View attachment 122340

View attachment 122341

View attachment 122342

Next I get to the final construction stage which I will be taking slowly with more subassemblies and touching up as I go.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Good recovery again Barry, the cockpit area looks good looking forward to the end result.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looking really nice Barry, also looking forward to the finished job

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A bit more progress....

View attachment 122565

I had a problem with some pipework, a piece snapped off and got gobbled by the carpet monster so out comes the lead wire....

View attachment 122566

You can see the lead wire coming from the fuse to the bend just before it turns out to the top port wing.... I will paint it tonight.

View attachment 122567

The wings are starting to come together. Had some issues with fit despite successful dry runs previously......

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Its been a while since I last posted an update. Its been very slow going.

I spent a long time over several evenings building up the wings, joining them and getting the p.e. rigging into place. One part I just could not fit - a cross piece that is supposed to fit parallel to the fuselage sitting on some 'crosswires'.... I spent hours trying to fit just one wing, I tried making jig and stands and in the end just gave up.... life is not long enough. To get these pieces into place you need to glue the edge into the very springy cross bars... you have to hold them in place without applying any downward pressure with a completely still hand. I am sure someone can do it but without perfect vision, a perfectly still hand and the ability to judge that perfect pressure it was beyond me. I am not decided what to do about that yet, I may just leave it... The pic shows the p.e. piece and the cross wires where it is supposed to fit.

View attachment 123075

Anyway I then went on to join the wings, one at a time to the fuselage. They needed some work to get them into position including some filing and scraping. While fitting - the p.e. rigging kept pinging and bits fell off....

View attachment 123076

View attachment 123077

Once the wings were in place I fitted the undercarraige - it fits very well though the pins needed a bit of a trim.

View attachment 123079

here she is up on her wheels...

View attachment 123078

I now need to spend an evening repairing the damage, adding the final parts and then another evening or two touching up the paintwork.

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Sounds like a nightmare Barry but I'm sure you will over come in the end. Looking good by the way.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would not describe it as a nightmare Vaughan as such, but if I were to build another one I would re-think the riggingand build sequence and avoid most of the p.e. I really cannot figure out what best to do about those cross pieces, it does frustrate me to leavge them off. I will look at some pics of the real aircraft in that area and see they provide inspiration.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well it is done but i have a line to add to the aerial and may add the control lines to the tail plane. I have not done them yet because of practical considerations as it would be problematical picking the plane up without breaking off a line. Even now handling the model risks rigging pinging off. Every time my cleaner picks the model up to dust the shelf I am sure it will need a repair. Therefore I decided to leave them off but every time I look at the model I get thinking......

Anyway the final stages did take a long time and it was quite painful doing the pe rigging but mind you I hate pe anyway. I am not completely happy with the rigging and would rethink my approach if I do another one. That said it is a good kit but not one for beginners.

One thing - this has put me off the idea of getting a WingNut wings WW1 model with the rigging issues involved there!!!

Anyway her are some pics of my 825 squadron Swordfish from February 1942, operation Fuller.

View attachment 123712

View attachment 123713

View attachment 123714

View attachment 123715

View attachment 123718

View attachment 123719

View attachment 123720

View attachment 123716

View attachment 123717

I am rather pleased with how the torpedo turned out and also the weathering. It is only the rigging that I am less than happy with. It does build to a large and impressive model.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg