Trumpeter 1/32 Fairy Swordfish Mk 1

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks everyone... now for last night's progress. A few more sub-assemblies done, the stabs and engine with the latter awaiting painting. I have also run some Mr Dissolved Putty along the seams on the fuselage. The sanding sticks will come out tonight and hopefully I will have time to spray some Gunze buffable metaliser on the engine.
View attachment 130739 View attachment 130740 View attachment 130741

Enjoying this build, the fit is excellent so far.

It is a bit different to most aircraft builds, I am working slowly and deciding on the paint sequence as I progress. I expect I will have to paint the camo before the wings are attached.

One question.....

Some research I have done suggests the lower wings should be painted in lighter 'shadow' shades, Dark Sea Grey/Slate Grey rather than Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey as per the rest of the plane. The instructions say the latter on the lower wings as well as the rest. Does anyone know what would be correct?
I believe that's how they were painted. I built a Roden Sea Gladiator a few years ago.Research revealed lighter shades of the camo colours on the lower wing.The instructions for the Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish in my stash indicate the same ,with lighter shades on the lower wing.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That interior detail is absolutely amazing...... a Great job.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
That is looking top quality, now watching

Phil

D

dubster72

This really is an excellent build Barry with a vast amount of skill going into it. I'm looking forward to more!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for that Dave.

Last night I got the sanding stick out on the Mr Dissolved Putty and while the result is looking pretty good there are still a few spots that need another Mr D Putty treatment, which I have done. I will finish this off tonight.

View attachment 119139

I have put together the pieces for the stab and tail ready to fix in place at a later date. The seams have been sanded.

View attachment 119138

I also sprayed the engine, Gunze buffable Dark Iron and here is how it looked, a black and sooty....

View attachment 119140

Then an hour or so later I buffed it, first with my finger and then in difficult to reach spots cotton buds and it turns into this....

View attachment 119142

View attachment 119141

The painting instructions are pretty sparse but it does say that some parts should be silver, the 'boss' around the prop shaft for instance and originally I was going to paint that a steel colour after buffing this but looking at the engine I think it looks pretty good as it is (better, shinier, than it looks in the picture) so I am yet to decide on that.

I might not get much time on the model tonight, if any, so there may not be an update until late Saturday morning.

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Barry. The engine has buffed up nicely.

First Name
Dave
Nice finish on the engine. I recently bought Humbrol enamel 27004 which is one of their Metalcote range.Ive yet to try it but it looks a very similar shade to the dark iron on your engine.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

That is looking really nice. Kind of funny I found this thread since my son was just saying the other day that he wants to build one of these!

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Good work on the engine Barry, great job with the buffing

Phil

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Coming to together Barry. You seem to be really cracking on with this build.

Cheers Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Barry.

The shadow painting of the lower wing was quite normal. The thought behind it being that the shadows from the upper wing made the lower wing far to dark and by painting them a shade lighter cancelled that out so they look almost the same.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good progress Barry. I do find that Trumpeter's engineering is very good - the Stuka was an excellent fit as is the 1/16 Pz IV I'm on with at the moment.

Looking very good so far.

Cheers

Paul

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
its a beast loving your work so far the cock pit looks superb

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress Barry , the cockpit is fantastic , looking forward to the next pics , cheers tony

N

noble

Very impressive Barry, you know I really have to take my hat off to you aircraft guys you all do excellent work.

Scott

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Progress has been slow this past week due to lack of time but hopefull I will have more time this week. Here are a couple of pics to show what I got done over the last few days.

I have been building up the wing components. I will want to paint the wings before joining the top to bottom and to the fuselage so I used tape to hold the wings together to make sure of the right angles for the supports. The p.e. rigging seems to work well so far.

View attachment 119918

View attachment 119917

Here is an overview of my desk showing most of the sub-assemblies I have.

View attachment 119919

Note that there is a bit of a twist in the wings but I am hopeful that this will correct itself when attached to the central parts of the wings.

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG