Trumpeter 1/48 Westland Whirlwind (Not the Helicopter!)

First Name
Dave
View attachment 86121

View attachment 86122

View attachment 86123

View attachment 86124

View attachment 86125

View attachment 86126

View attachment 86127

View attachment 86128

View attachment 86129

Because I don't want to rush my current build,I thought I would make a start on this in between spraying different colours on the Maryland.This is a new kit from Trumpeter.The only other injected plastic kit in this scale I'm aware of was produced by Classic Airframes many years ago.I haven't been able to get hold of one of those for a reasonable price.So I was quite excited when I heard Trumpeter were going to do one.Ive read a few negative comments about this kits accuracy.But it looks good to me.Trumpeter kits seam to fall into two categories to me.There are the super detailed/hundreds of parts kits (1/48 Wellington).And ones like this with a low parts count.I will be using an Eduard seat belt set .Other than that it will be an out of box build.Unless 'Master ' release a set of brass gun barrels before I finish it that is.The canopy is thoughtfully packed in a separate bag and wrapped in foam for protection.Im going to leave it like that until I nead it.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

P

Polux

Hi Dave.

Looks like an interesting model (taking a fast look at the sprues).

I will follow this one Dave ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not a scale I often build, but I'm definitely interested in this. It is one of my favourite aircraft and the 'nearly man' of Fighter Command. I'll be following along!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
View attachment 86918

View attachment 86919

View attachment 86920

View attachment 86921

View attachment 86922

View attachment 86923

View attachment 86924

View attachment 86925

In between painting various colours on the Maryland Ive managed to get a bit done on this one.Ive assembled some of the cockpit and painted it.There are side walls to add,but I want to fit the seat belts first.For the seat belts I got a set of Eduard fabric belts.Looked great in the packet.Its the first time Ive used these and the instructions said to 'Crumple the belt into a little ball and nead it between the fingers.Thread the belts through the buckles - Use superglue'.Well I did as instructed and when I tried threading the belts on one harness it delaminated and the other fell apart.Perhaps I 'Crumpled' them too much,I don't know.Wont be using them again though.So I've ordered some Eduard prepainted etched belts from Hannants.I've also assembled the undercarriage legs and bays then sprayed them with white primer followed by Humbrol Aluminium.The instrument panel has raised detail with the traditional 6 flight instruments in the middle.Unfortunately the decal supplied looks like its for an F16 or something similar!.So it's out with the Almark instrument decal sheet again.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice start dave , I think this was a funny looking bird , the engines look a bit big for it :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looking nice dave I really like that seat harness :smiling3:

0ne48thtel

this is looking good Dave I like the look of the seat and it's fittings.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Looking great so far. Those seat belts make a world of difference (shame about those fabric belts though). The Whirlwind is a great looking aircraft, it simply looks very fast (even if the top speed was only comparable to the best contemporary single engined fighters) I guess it looks spritely with very clean lines.

The build looks great so far and seems a bit more straight forward than the Maryland.

Looking good

Paul

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice Dave, those belts look great. The cockpit instrument panel looks a bit vague though.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
View attachment 88118I like them too .You get four sets in a pack.Two Sutton harnesses and two late war seat belt sets. That's enough belts for four single seat fighters and costing only about £7.
Cheers dave where did you get them from ?

D

dubster72

Yep that harness looks the business! Seems to be going together well too.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Very nice Dave, those belts look great. The cockpit instrument panel looks a bit vague though.Si:smiling3:
I spent an evening adding individual instrument decals to the instrument panel.Now it's installed in the fuselage you can barely see it!.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I spent an evening adding individual instrument decals to the instrument panel.Now it's installed in the fuselage you can barely see it!.
About right...:rolleyes:

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I get them from Hannants.In this scale I think they look as good as the fabric ones.And you get four in a set.The fabric ones are more expensive and you only get one in the packet!.
Cheers dave , I have a few 1/48 aircraft and they will make a big difference to the cockpits :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

I don't know if you saw this on eBay but the pictures would make good reference. The description also mentions some cannons from CMK, which you might be able to get hold of. It may well be worth getting the magazine that this was in as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professionally-Built-Model-1-48-Trumpeter-1-48-Westland-Whirlwind-/121409732587?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=mHJiYPJQfwLYVY4OniGv3goZzO4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc