Trumpeter 1/48 Westland Whirlwind (Not the Helicopter!)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Excellent Dave. A good idea with the wing tip light. Personally I tend to just paint them and then apply gloss to simulate the glass.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking very nice. Good job on the wing tip navigation lights.

If you wanted to make coloured covers then rather than painting them (I use Humbrol 'clear' colours) you can use the same method of inserting a piece using the appropriately coloured plastic from a tooth brush handle. I have done this myself, but tend to be too lazy these days. I also have an electric toothbrush which I can't cut up :smiling3:

If you are stuck with plain plastic and don't want to cut out and make the lights as Dave has done, you can make a reasonable job by painting the light silver before applying the colour.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking very nice. Good job on the wing tip navigation lights.If you wanted to make coloured covers then rather than painting them (I use Humbrol 'clear' colours) you can use the same method of inserting a piece using the appropriately coloured plastic from a tooth brush handle. I have done this myself, but tend to be too lazy these days. I also have an electric toothbrush which I can't cut up :smiling3:

If you are stuck with plain plastic and don't want to cut out and make the lights as Dave has done, you can make a reasonable job by painting the light silver before applying the colour.

Cheers

Steve
I know about the coloured toothbrush handle trick but keep forgetting to buy some!.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I know about the coloured toothbrush handle trick but keep forgetting to buy some!.
In the old days I used to deliberately buy red, green, blue and amber tooth brushes which covered me for almost every eventuality! Now, with electric tooth brushes, I don't have the option. I've just had a look in my den to see if I have any of the old handles are left but there's no sign of them. Probably culled in one of my big clean outs :smiling3:

I admire you using this method, I always found it a pain in the whatsit sanding the inserts to shape.

Cheers

Steve

Z

Ziper_it

Very good Dave.

Some day I should try this technique on the lights.

Francesco

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work Dave. A slightly odd looking aircraft. All engines and not much else.

Colin M.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good Dave , I bet you didnt expect to be having to scratch build as much as this when you started the build !! Top work though ,the nav lights look great and the gunsight looks right to me . cheers tony

First Name
Dave
View attachment 88115

That's the canopy and windscreen masked and glued on.And I've finished filling and sanding the joins.On the whole the parts fit is good.The wing to fuselage join is excellent at the wing root.Most filling and sanding work is needed at the engine cowl to wing join.Not as bad as old Airfix or old Revell kits though.Next job is to spray primer on.image.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I agree with Patrick -I want one , NOW! Shouldnt be long before its wearing some paint now Dave , looking forward to the next pics, cheers tony

First Name
Dave
View attachment 88538

I primed the model a couple of days ago with Alclad white primer.And I've been reading Barry W's thread on weathering aircraft again.So I thought I would give it a go on this model.So tonight I've sprayed Vallejo Air black along some of the panel lines.Ive tried this before and given up.Mainly because I can't spray a straight line to save my life!.But Barry says it doesn't matter.So here's my attempt at preshading.Will have a go at the underside colour tomorrow.image.jpg