Trumpeter 1/48 Westland Whirlwind (Not the Helicopter!)

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I don't know if you saw this on eBay but the pictures would make good reference. The description also mentions some cannons from CMK, which you might be able to get hold of. It may well be worth getting the magazine that this was in as well.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professionally-Built-Model-1-48-Trumpeter-1-48-Westland-Whirlwind-/121409732587?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=mHJiYPJQfwLYVY4OniGv3goZzO4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Nice model built by Jay Laverty. He's the editor of one of the model magazines.No chance of mine being as good as his.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Dave I don't know how I missed the start of this one. Great work so far and the seat belts make a real difference. Looking forward to more updates

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start Dave , its a kit I might have to get sometime too. It looks like its par for the course for trumpeter lately , great subject but a bit careless in the research ( the instrument decal ) The recent Vampire fb9 is the same as this - not many bits but a glaring error thats easily fixed . Looking forward to seeing the next bit , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Nice start Dave and a very intresting subject, looking forward to seeing this build out!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The Whirlwind is a great looking aircraft, it simply looks very fast (even if the top speed was only comparable to the best contemporary single engined fighters) I guess it looks spritely with very clean lines.
It was a quick aircraft, particularly at low level. It's nick name was 'Crikey' supposedly from a series of 'Crikey that was fast' adverts for Shell products at the time.

At 15,800 feet the A+AEE clocked L6845 at 354 mph which was quite a bit less than the 370-390 mph estimated. The real problem however was a lack of ceiling. At 24,000ft the rate of climb fell to less than 1,000ft per minute and it took twenty five minutes to climb the 6,000ft up to 30,000ft. As aerial combat, at least in the West, was spiralling upwards to ever greater altitudes this was not good enough.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Whirlwind_(fighter)

It was actually quite successful.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Considering it was axed at least twice and finally a limited number were built to use up parts and the available Peregrine engines it did do okay. It was a good aircraft at low level, but this wasn't really what was needed in 1940 and thereafter.

Dowding, by the way, didn't rate it at all and had a very low opinion of Westland as well (related to problems with the Lysander).

The point made in that link forced and rushed development is valid. The Whirlwind was a very advanced design as it came off the drawing board and there was little time to properly sort out problems like those of the tail wheel, exhausts, slats, never mind the Peregrine engine. The latter was nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe, but there were problems.

It's also worth remembering that problems at Westland in 1938 caused a loss of confidence in the Whirlwind, which had been designed in early 1936 and still hadn't flown. This led directly to the ordering of 300 Beaufighters, sight unseen, though based on the Beaufort, in February 1939.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

Steve, Apologies for being off topic but just a quick question that has bugged me for a long time and I know you will have the answer.

What is the difference between a Cannon and a Machine Gun, apart from the fact that Cannons seem to be bigger?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The hitting power. Cannon fired much larger rounds which could contain a significant amount of explosive or incendiary material. A USN study (the USN adopted cannon on its aircraft long before the USAAF/USAF) concluded that a typical British fighter armed with four 20mm cannon had twice the hitting power of a typical US fighter armed with six .50 calibre machine guns.

The USAAF got away with machine gun armament for so long because its primary target was Luftwaffe fighters or lightly built and unarmoured Japanese types. These were very much easier to destroy than the armoured bombers that the Luftwaffe in particular was targeting. By the end of the war a 30mm cannon was being widely fitted to Luftwaffe fighters.

The British had concluded long before the war that even the eight .303 machine guns of their 'eight gun fighters', the Spitfire and Hurricane, would soon prove inadequate. They eschewed the adoption of a heavier machine guns for a variety of reasons, not least that the projectile could not be loaded with enough explosive/incendiary material, in favour of a 20mm cannon. The Whirlwind was an early result of the requirement for a cannon armed fighter.

To see just how much bigger even a 20mm cannon shell was compared to a 12.7mm (equivalent to .50 calibre) heavy machine gun round, have a look on Tony Williams' site under 'aircraft'.

http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/tankammo.html

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would love them to produce a 32 scale Whirlwind. You have made a great start Dave.

I have some HGW and RB productions fabric seatbelts to try and they suggest not using superglue but Gator Glue or similar.

First Name
Dave
I

\ said:
I would love them to produce a 32 scale Whirlwind. You have made a great start Dave.I have some HGW and RB productions fabric seatbelts to try and they suggest not using superglue but Gator Glue or similar.
I didn't get as far as using glue.I first crumpled the harness carefully as instructed.The problem came when I tried to thread the buckles on.With hindsight I should have ignored the instructions and threaded the buckles on first.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Considering it was axed at least twice and finally a limited number were built to use up parts and the available Peregrine engines it did do okay. It was a good aircraft at low level, but this wasn't really what was needed in 1940 and thereafter.Dowding, by the way, didn't rate it at all and had a very low opinion of Westland as well (related to problems with the Lysander).

The point made in that link forced and rushed development is valid. The Whirlwind was a very advanced design as it came off the drawing board and there was little time to properly sort out problems like those of the tail wheel, exhausts, slats, never mind the Peregrine engine. The latter was nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe, but there were problems.

It's also worth remembering that problems at Westland in 1938 caused a loss of confidence in the Whirlwind, which had been designed in early 1936 and still hadn't flown. This led directly to the ordering of 300 Beaufighters, sight unseen, though based on the Beaufort, in February 1939.

Cheers

Steve
I guess as neither of us was around when the Whirlwind was in service, we can only draw conclusions from what we have read about it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I guess as neither of us was around when the Whirlwind was in service, we can only draw conclusions from what we have read about it.
And what the RAF/Air Ministry/Westlands/Squadrons/the men who flew it wrote and said about it :smiling3:

This what Dowding thought of the Whirlwind, in a letter written to Lord Beaverbrook, the head of the newly established Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) on 1st July 1940.

"The pilots like them (although this may be largely due to their relief in getting away from the Blenheim); and they may be worth their weight in gold in the near future as being almost the only fighter aircraft capable of attacking tanks from the air. Against them is their very high approach and landing speeds. Pilots tell me that they have to bring them in at 110 mph and, even then, the controls are 'sloppy'. This means that they can probably never be used at night. Then again, if the Lysander is any criterion, we must expect an infinity of trouble with cowlings, fittings etc., unless the firm has learned wisdom from past experience. Further, I think that it is a very extravagant design By this I mean that it takes two engines to lift four cannon guns, whereas the new Hawker fighter [he's referring to what would become the Typhoon] should be able to lift six with one engine and give a similar performance with a lower landing speed. Altogether, I feel that we may be very glad indeed to have as many Whirlwinds as we can get in the near future both as anti tank weapons and in order to attack bombers as they become less and less vulnerable to rifle calibre machine gun fire, but we shall be glad enough to drop them when the Hawker fighter comes into heavy production."

Shortly after this Dowding ruled that the Whirlwinds, which had been undergoing service trials with 25 Squadron, should go to 263 Squadron. The first were delivered on 3rd July. Dowding soon got his predicted 'infinity of troubles'.

In that month alone rivets failed in the outer slat shells.Slats were jumping of their sprockets. Welds were failing on the carburettor intake ducts. Wingtip fairings were cracking after as little as ten hours flying, this seriously alarmed the pilots who feared that a wing tip failure might jam an aileron with almost certain fatal consequences. Tail wheel oleos collapsed, sometimes cracking the rear bulkhead. The oleos also needed re-pressurising weekly.

As a result of this FO Bertram Grant (263's engineering officer) in consultation with Sqn Ldr William Disbrey (13 Group's Engineer Officer) grounded the Whirlwind until Westland could supply improved parts, particularly the wing tips.

At a Fighter Command conference at around this time Dowding ordered that the Whirlwinds 'should not be thrown into air combat' since in the event of enemy tanks landing in Britain they would be invaluable in an anti tank role. Once modified wing tips were fitted 263 Squadron concentrated on making the cannon installation work reliably (yet another problem) and on practicing ground attacks.

This was limited by repetition of the July problems. In fact, during most of August, none of the Whirlwinds were serviceable. In September they managed 55% serviceability but problems with the cannon persisted. Shell ejection problems caused regular jams and there was also damage to the aircraft's nose cone. The squadron bodged up some reinforcement and Westland eventually produced a 'quick release' reinforced cowling.

The slat problem persisted with sprockets being stripped, eventually they were simply fixed closed.Other problems included fractured hydraulic pipes, put down to poor workmanship at Westland. Fuel tank sealant came loose and blocked fuel filters causing in flight engine failures, also blamed on Westland. The canopy Perspex cracked along the top seam and a new design was developed by the manufacturer. The cooling system was found to be prone to corrosion.

I could go on, but suffice to say that by the end of October Dowding wrote to Beaverbrook, bearing in mind that any invasion threat complete with German tanks on the beaches was gone, concluding. 'It therefore becomes necessary to give careful consideration to the question of whether it is worth while persevering with the type at all'.

For a 1936 design it was a remarkable aeroplane, it's always been one of my favourites but to imagine it to be comparable with the Spitfire, Hurricane or later cannon armed Typhoon would be unwise. Despite the long gestation period it was rushed into service seriously 'underdone' and never really recovered.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

As always Steve a really interesting read. Many thanks for putting things like this together I do enjoy reading them.

First Name
Dave
Still, must gave been an amazing aircraft to fly when it came into service.and that armament of four 20mm cannons ....Imagine pulling the trigger for the first time after only firing riffle caliber machine guns.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Absolutely, and all four right in front of you rather than out on the wings!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Having been put firmly in my place by Steve,Ive decided its best to get on with the build and leave the history to him!.This kit is lacking a few details.Which is a bit disappointing considering it cost nearly £30.Theres no gun sight ,no brace behind the seat back and no wing tip lights.For the lights Ive cut the shapes out of the wing tips and glued clear sprue in their place.Tomorrow I will sand and polish them to shape.I need to research the gun sight.if it's the same as the Spitfire Ive got one in my spares box.Ive also done the first round of sanding.Some more to do on the engine cowlings.

View attachment 87737

View attachment 87738

View attachment 87739

View attachment 87740

View attachment 87741

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

Nice update Dave ,I like what you've done with the nav lights and clear sprue thats always a nice touch often overlooked(myself included). What kind of putty are you using on the engine nacelles?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice update Dave ,I like what you've done with the nav lights and clear sprue thats always a nice touch often overlooked(myself included). What kind of putty are you using on the engine nacelles?
I used squadron green first and am finishing off with Mr Surfacer 500