Where do you have your instructions?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
She's adored but that look is hard to ignore, at my peril lol. Some vermin got rid of her and her brother, within 30 seconds of meeting them in the cat home they were coming home with us!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thought I would give this a go

Fellowes copyholder, £12.20 free post on Amazon
I have one very similar to that, bought it some 10 or 15 years ago for holding books open on my computer desk. It’s rubbish for that: those little pointy folding things you can see at the bottom in your photos aren’t strong enough to hold open a paperback A4-size book, which is exactly what I needed the stand for. Model kit instructions should not have that problem, and I must say I like the idea — if I had the room to put it without having to massively rearrange my workbench and long-ingrained habits there, I might just use it too.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have one very similar to that, bought it some 10 or 15 years ago for holding books open on my computer desk. It’s rubbish for that: those little pointy folding things you can see at the bottom in your photos aren’t strong enough to hold open a paperback A4-size book, which is exactly what I needed the stand for. Model kit instructions should not have that problem, and I must say I like the idea — if I had the room to put it without having to massively rearrange my workbench and long-ingrained habits there, I might just use it too.
You need a cookbook stand to do that Jakko. Holding books open is exactly what they are designed for. Copy holders are only designed for a few sheets of A4.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This type of plastic one gives every impression of being intended for books: the bottom shelf is a few centimetres wide and it has those flip-up points that look like they’re there to prevent pages folding over by themselves. I guess they’re there really to retain a thick stack of loose pages instead.

A few years ago, I came across a wooden version with pieces of string with weights on the end, to go over the pages. That works well, for the most part, but you have to be careful that the string doesn’t cut into the top of the page :sad:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, Copy holders are designed for things like meeting note and shorthand transcription, so are pretty lightweight. From what you described, the wooden version is a cook book holder, designed to hold a book open while you work. I remember making one as a woodwork project when I was at school at age 12/13. They come in cast iron as well……but we didn’t make one of those LOL…..

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
In 1-87 scale there are virtually no instructions to worry about. Usually it is a a single sheet (small) with an exploded view of the vehicle with all its little pieces parts and that's it. I do use as many ref. Photos as I can find and will check them from time to time for accurate placement of details that may not have come with the model. ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another good thing to look for are sheet music holders. A lot of different styles and types to choose from.