Yet another Spitfire

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
First "problem" fitting the bulkhead with the seat. One side of the fuselage is short and the other has a vague lump of plastic where there should be a groove to take the bulkhead. I've cut both sides of the fuselage back and removed the aforementioned lump in order to fit the bulkhead and will have to rebuild them once the fuselage is joined.

I'll do a piccy of the problem and (hopefully) solution when I get the fuselage joined.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I found it easier to attach each bulkhead one at a time, just to one half of the fuselage, and tape the other half of the fuselage in place just to aid alignment.

Regards

Colin M.......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Colin,I'll be doing that. The problem is with the molding of the top of the fuselage halves. One was 2mm longer than the other behind the seat bulkhead (with everything else lined up) and the bulkhead wouldn't fit into its slot without being pushed down which would interfere with the fit of the lower wing/fuselage bottom later. I've cut back the top of the fuselage so that the top of that bulkhead now sits infront of it. I'll just need to build up that part of the fuselage over the top of the bulkhead once everything is joined up. There's also a gap between the head rest armour and the wedgey bit that supported it which will need shimming.

I can't wait to get on to the wings!!!

Steve

Here's one half,it's a bit of a mess at the moment!

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fuselage joining is a work in progress,in the meantime I've started the lower wings. Either Gav or Colin did say I'd need plenty of tape and clamps and wasn't kidding. I don't have enough little clamps to do both sides at once and my big ones are beating the fuselage into submission.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've rebuilt the fuselage behind the bulkhead. It'll need a sand and maybe a bit of Mr Surfacer to tidy it up.

There's a gap between the head rest and support which shouldn't be there. This is how it should look. This is down to the kit,not anything I've done.

I'll cut a shim of plastic and fill this gap in before I fettle the other filler.

Cheers

Steve

Edit.

Like this.

What the hell has happened to his helmet?!?!!

I'll be repainting that.

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Cobblers, I didn't realise that gap shouldn't be there. Luckily, I didn't put the filler away !!

Regards

Colin M..........

F

Ferrets Bueller

Good progress so far keep up the good work as well as your sanity.

S

Sky Raider

Making good progress there Steve, keep up the good work.

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've taped the wings together and dry fitted them with the dreaded (by me) fillets.

This is not bad at all! I've just got to work out in what order I'm actually going to glue it all together and hopefully it will scrub up okay.

I'm going to have to bo something about the trenches masquerading as panel lines!

I added this rough little tongue to help line up the join at the back of the lower wing assembly. It means I now only need three hands rather than four!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whilst trying to work out how to mount the exhausts and spinner (no blades) on the front of the aircraft without mounting the engine I checked for the warped front that others have reported. This shows just how twisted the lower cowling is.

I'm not sure what I'll do about this. I feel a cunning plan coming on!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've decided to follow the order pioneered by,I think ColinM. Apologies if it was someone else.

I attached the two fillets to the wing assembly with the fuselage positioned lossely to give a rough template. It turns out that if you line the fillet up from the leading edge,using panel lines as a guide,it will be in the correct place.

I've now glued the wing/fillet assembly to the fuselage.

It's not too bad. A bit of CA will sort everything apart from the rear end. You can see some filler there. The underside join (more of a gap really!) is a bit of a mess and will need a bit of fettling. I've already put in a bit of stretched sprue and puttied it up.

That's it 'til tomorrow!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Good grief, it will be the weekend before I get this far. Got all the interior to paint up yet!!!!

Question. You know the clear bit (took me bloody ages to find it) that goes behind and forms part of the instrument panel. Am I right in thinking this is all black the a decal on the square bit that pokes through? The instructions seem to indicate the instruments should be left clear. It isn't one of those 'stick on the back' decals is it?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You are right about what it is (I couldn't find it either) but it's a "stick on the front" decal. I painted both the fascia's black and then stuck the decals on. They're basic but look okay.

I'm forging ahead whilst I've got the chance as work will shortly interfere. I really didn't spend any time or effort on the interior.

I haven't found any kind of gunsight which would be a bit worrying in the real world!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Cheers Steve. Traditionally, I forget to put the gunsight in anyway lol. I don't think any of my aircraft have them :laughing:

Right time to crack on.....

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very good Steve, looks like you've got the evil wing fillets (or whatever they're called) sorted - is there no stopping this man ?

Regards

Colin M.....

F

Ferrets Bueller

Great job steve, looks like its gonna line up better for you than it did for me:emo1:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As you can see above I did find that the wing/fillet/fuselage joins were not perfect. I managed to force the major problem to the area at the back and on the lower surface of the model. Last night I glued a section of sprue (stretched to fit) in the gap and then slapped a load of putty over the lot.

I'm not too proud to show what it looks like after a first rough sanding. It's a lot better than it was but there's some way to go before this'll be ready for paint!

I see putty,Mr surfacer and a scriber in my future!

Cheers

Steve

Getting a bit closer. It's amazing what a photo shows that you don't see with the naked eye.

Steve

F

Fenlander

really moving on with this one Steve. I have parents evening at school tonight so I doubt I will be able to get any modelling done again........ that is two evenings in a row lost :sad:

S

sprayman

This has become an very interesting read Steve, enjoying what your doing here, very smart piece of work.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Graham what a wonderful adventure you have before you!

Ray,the kit is "interesting" itself. A few more flaws have revealed themselves so I've more filler drying overnight. I will never get this perfect but hopefully,tomorrow,I can move on to the final construction. I'm looking forward to the warped nose although I don't have a plan yet. I'll get the kettle,hairdryer and box of clamps on standby!

There is no trench,sorry,panel line running through the D section at the front of a Spitfire wing. I'll let a lot go but that's too obvious!

Just look at that twist on the lower cowling.

Cheers

Steve