Yokosuka E-14Y ‘Glen’ with catapult

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres a ( hopefully ) fairly quick project . Its the Hobby 2000 1/72 Yokosuka E-14Y ‘Glen’ a japanese reconnaissance floatplane . The aircraft represented in this kit were actually carried inside a submarine , folded up , then unfolded and launched off a catapult on the bow when needed .
The kit is a rebox of the Fujimi kit with different decals and a set of canopy masks . A catapult is included to mount the aircraft on if desired (yes, I desire !) . Its a nicely detailed kit but the cockpit is very basic , in this case not a problem as hardly anything will be seen as the canopy has lots of glazing bars ( thank god for the masks ) and no open option . Thinking about making a small section of submarine deck to mount the catapult on depending if I can find enough reference on jap subs , so I might be picking the brains of our floaty thing builders too! 271CEB07-A306-4FDA-BC92-D25A3A01B46D.jpeg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well Tony, you learn something new every day. Never imagined a sub could carry a plane.
It would be great if you could come up with a section of the sub deck.
Looking forward to the build.
Jim,
Planes carried in subs were experimented with in the 30's, the Royal Navy gave up, the French Navy had the 'Surcouf' submarine cruiser, but the Japanese really went for it, with subs even carrying 2 planes, part of a scheme to bomb the Panama Canal ( never happened )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Could they land the plane, fold it up again and put it back in the sub?
Pete
Oh yes!! There was a catapult on the foredeck & a crane to retrieve the planes

i-400.jpg
The I-401 - could carry 3 Aichi M6A Seiran planes - the largest submarines until nuclear power - must have been very crowded & busy!
Dave

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Interesting subject, last Japanese floatplane model I saw was years ago and all Yellow, do not ask me what it was, it was biplane and had floats....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Oh yes!! There was a catapult on the foredeck & a crane to retrieve the planes

View attachment 465254
The I-401 - could carry 3 Aichi M6A Seiran planes - the largest submarines until nuclear power - must have been very crowded & busy!
Dave
Indeed dave , I did the Tamiya 1/48 Seiran ages ago ( its on here ,search ’Seiran ‘ and my name ) and considered doing a section of sub deck and the tubular hangar but couldnt find enough reference, plus it would have been a bit big !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Made a start on this one . The cockpit is very basic with just seats , instrument panels and a stick but under the closed , greenhouse like canopy bugger all will be seen so its just getting painted and some masking tape lap belts . The instruments were on the decal sheet so they went on too. The fuselage is now together , as are the wings , which have had the handholds on each wingtip drilled out . F041B222-E992-40E5-B784-228D0BA5364C.jpeg3839CB73-7D3A-4091-BBD2-DF429A4D2073.jpeg01071455-2BA9-4F80-B78C-76D7FAED6C07.jpeg58B90517-71B6-4CFC-9F4C-0379828DD485.jpeg255768E9-78A1-4764-9A40-6A918F5C6408.jpeg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
My Gawd!!!...There goes Tony flying off to the floaty side forever too!!! There's no hope for the world now. He'll probably go out and buy a 1/72 sub model and covert into the carrier for this kit, catapult and all. Oh well, I guess we'll see him in a year or two..................

All kidding aside, this looks like a pretty cool wing thingy kit and you are off to a great start Sir!!! I will have to go back and have a look at your saranwrap build too, Tony. Knowing your wingy work, it's gotta be a really nice build......

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What an interesting thread this is :smiling3:
Great input there Dave,nice one.
Looking forward to seeing this built Tony.... carry on ;)