1/35 scale Centurion Mk.12

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Streaking or how I got on the bus first....

Some interest has been shown in how I obtain the streaking effect on my Centurion, Doher and Warrior and some earlier builds - so here we go...

Main components I use are...
20240803_133634_HDR.jpg
This consists of clean water, fan brushes and soft 'mop' brushes. The medium used is one of the clay based washes from Flory Models, in this case 'Grime'. You can mix up your own colours from the various washes available from Flory both as single bottles or as a pack. The clear pot will be used for mixing the pigment mix used in the application of the pigments.
20240803_133452_HDR.jpg
So here is our model, all 'building' completed and sprayed in the base colour of our choice, in this case Humbrol Matt #159, for no other reason than it is Green.
The model is left matt or can be sprayed with a matt varnish (AK183 Ultra Matte Varnish is my preferred choice), as I explained earlier it will look like orange peel, but as it dries that effect goes away and you end up with a totally matt surface.
20240803_133516_HDR.jpg
I have only sprayed areas where I am going to demonstrate my process.
20240803_133815_HDR.jpg
This is what the wash looks like when it comes straight from the bottle. You are advised to decant the amount you need to preserve the wash left in the bottle from contaminants. And really it is far easier to use it from the pot than keep dipping into the bottle. (ignore the 'white glue only' on the pot)
20240803_134028_HDR.jpg
So with a soft 'mop' brush I first 'wash' all of the model with the 'Grime' above, and then allow it to dry for about an hour, keeping an eye on how quickly it is drying. In the heat we have been having of late an hour was about right...
20240803_140108_HDR.jpg
If you can imagine the wash is now not fully dry but 'soft' where it can be removed to our satisfaction. So taking one of the 'fan' brushes I first dip it into clean water and then touch it to some flattened kitchen roll to remove the excess water. And then trying to keep the fan at about 90 degrees to the surface the fan is stroked lightly down to remove some of the wash, you only need the tip of the fan to touch the model, this is repeated untill you reach the effect you are looking for. Above shows the side...
20240803_140136_HDR.jpg
And here is the top surface...
20240803_151532_HDR.jpg
And here is the side once the streaking has been completed. I will leave this now for a couple of hours to dry thouroughly.

20240804_103556_HDR.jpg
This is about the amount of pigment I will use for a whole vehicle, but the mix can be thickened or thinned as you desire. (VMS #02 Light Earth)
20240804_103908_HDR.jpg
This is the amount of water used with the pigment mixed in it.

20240804_104327_HDR.jpg
Now the 'mix' is applied to the whole model OR to parts of the model, the choice is yours, and left to dry. As soon as you see it is dry then you can start the next process. I would advise that untill you become used to doing this you do a section at a time.
20240804_104515_HDR.jpg
These are the brushes I will be using on the mix to get the effect I need.

20240804_113118_HDR.jpg
This is what I mean by 'dry', the 'mix' is now ready for working - just dry...
20240804_113259_HDR.jpg
The half on the left has had one pass with the fan brush, again it is dipped in clean water, the excess taken of by touching to some kitchen roll, the same process as with the first wash.
EXCEPT! now after each pass with the fan, you wipe the fan on the kitchen roll to take off the pigment residue, then back into the water to clean and wet the fan, onto the kitchen roll to remove the excess water, and 'wipe' the model.
20240804_113736_HDR.jpg
This is the flat surface wettened with the 'mix', and here you will use the mop soft brush to wet the dried area as below..
20240804_122832_HDR.jpg
And wipe away the excess 'mix' untill you are happy with the effect.

20240804_123626_HDR.jpg
And this is the finished item...
20240804_151114_HDR.jpg
20240804_151128_HDR.jpg
And that is it...
The effect you want will be up to you from a thoroughly dirty well worn vehicle to a dusty vehicle, you can use this method to achieve them and others.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Mike.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for that Mike. I have all of those ingredients, now I just need to find the patience and talent to have a go :tears-of-joy:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for the SBS Mike. Clearly set out and understandable. Very efficient results from what is a relatively simple process.
Centurion is looking superb.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Superb results from such a simple process.

Mike I do have to say, without sounding too sycophantic, that having been on various forums since about 2010, I think it's quite rare to find a modeler of your skill that's as willing to bash out a tutorial or two on a whim as you are. I just wanted you to know that it's really appreciated. You could almost turn this build thread into a modelling 'how-to book'!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Superb results from such a simple process.

Mike I do have to say, without sounding too sycophantic, that having been on various forums since about 2010, I think it's quite rare to find a modeler of your skill that's as willing to bash out a tutorial or two on a whim as you are. I just wanted you to know that it's really appreciated. You could almost turn this build thread into a modelling 'how-to book'!
Arnold,
Sorry for the late reply.
Many thanks for the compliment.
As for the tutorials, I just do it and hope it helps and makes it easier for others.
As for the book, not a chance I would get bored halfway through and go to the last page, oh! wait a minute I need to write it.
Mike.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well done Mike ,always good to see how others go about their business ,a easy to follow SBS that fellows can then adopt to finding their own way to achieve their own satisfying finish ,I'm sure your the same but I use a fair few products nowhere even near there intended use usually the result of a happy mistake ie a total muck up ,have to watch our p's n q's ive heard that new moderator is bit of a tyrant ;). Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Amazing modeling result........pints & quarts?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Cor, nearly missed the excellent SBS Mike. Glad I caught that one. Not just a cracking build but a bit of tuition thrown in for us just getting to grips with what can actually be done to enhance plastic to something quite outstanding.
As ever, in awe of your builds Mike. Always learning from you guys.

Steve Ski

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's lookin pretty awesome IMHO! That's a beauty, Mike!

Hey, if you dump a bunch of salt on the patio the boss won't hear em eatin anymore, right? Problem solved!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That's lookin pretty awesome IMHO! That's a beauty, Mike!

Hey, if you dump a bunch of salt on the patio the boss won't hear em eatin anymore, right? Problem solved!
Salt goes down just before it rains at night, that way the buggers don't suspect a thing, then sweep up the corpses in the morning....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I must say that is looking very nice indeed.