1/35 scale Centurion Mk.12

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
That's a stunning build Mike, it's coming along very well. I really do like that camo netting.

Thanks for the description of how you dusted up the hull, that was really useful. Just to clarify, did you spray the water/pigment mix onto the model?

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That's a stunning build Mike, it's coming along very well. I really do like that camo netting.

Thanks for the description of how you dusted up the hull, that was really useful. Just to clarify, did you spray the water/pigment mix onto the model?
Thanks for the comment Arnold.
I used a #4 soft brush or in technical terms a medium soft brush. and brushed on an area at a time, there is no need to rush because you can leave the mix to set for a few hours and come back to it. You just need to brush the mix on and move it around so it covers the area.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Thanks for the comment Arnold.
I used a #4 soft brush or in technical terms a medium soft brush. and brushed on an area at a time, there is no need to rush because you can leave the mix to set for a few hours and come back to it. You just need to brush the mix on and move it around so it covers the area.

Ah okay, for some reason I assumed you sprayed it. Thanks Mike, not being much of an airbrush man that makes life easier. Thanks for taking the time to answer, it's appreciated.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
As the actress said to the Bishop - keep going love, nearly there.....
And so it is for this build...
20240730_161351_HDR.jpg
Tow cables to be added, some stowage as per the original photo and a bit of artistic licence... British Compo boxes in the side locker....

20240730_161407_HDR.jpg
20240730_161418_HDR.jpg
20240730_161432_HDR.jpg
The brown biscuit coloured box is for a 10 man compo ration pack, again British, none of your MRE boxes on this build.
20240730_161447_HDR.jpg
The base is underway, simple and neat.
More later
Cheers
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
In the words of the late, great Tina Turner - Simply the best!

Sorry to be a pest. A couple of questions please Mike.
Do you have to seal/fix the Flory wash before the next step?
The VMS pigment + water mix. Is that very fragile after it's dry being that you've used only water? When applying the pigments does it affect the Flory wash?
Thanks

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
As the actress said to the Bishop - keep going love, nearly there.....
And so it is for this build...
View attachment 515130
Tow cables to be added, some stowage as per the original photo and a bit of artistic licence... British Compo boxes in the side locker....

View attachment 515131
View attachment 515132
View attachment 515133
The brown biscuit coloured box is for a 10 man compo ration pack, again British, none of your MRE boxes on this build.
View attachment 515134
The base is underway, simple and neat.
More later
Cheers
Mike.
There will be a short pause, well maybe a longish pause whilst I go back and read all I have missed!! Looking mega good Mike.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
What a catch up!! Bl**dy amazing mate!!!! The detail and modifications are truly superb and even a tutorial in the mix too!! As for the camo net - in another league!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
In the words of the late, great Tina Turner - Simply the best!

Sorry to be a pest. A couple of questions please Mike.
Do you have to seal/fix the Flory wash before the next step?
The VMS pigment + water mix. Is that very fragile after it's dry being that you've used only water? When applying the pigments does it affect the Flory wash?
Thanks
No problem Jim.
I applied the wash over a matt finish, this was left for a couple of hours and then the most of it was taken off with a soft brush and clean water. It was then left to dry overnight. This as you can see when comparing the before and after pics it really toned down that 'Dinky Toy' green...
The pigment/water mix was then applied over the top, and I then applied it on an area at a time so that I could work the mix into the areas i.e corners and leave the rest clear or just slightly dusty. On verticle surfaces I appled the mix and let it dry for about ten minutes and then with a 'fan' brush dipped in clean water and tapped on a piece of kitchen towel to remove the excess water, gently stroked down from top to bottom and repeated that as many times as required.
The mix then dries 'hard' and can be handled if required.
What I will do this weekend is do a tutorial on an old kit lower hull to show the process/stages, and post it on here Monday, as trying to describe something can be taken as different by another, as we all know.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Many thanks for all the comments, they as usual are most welcome and even more so is the fact you took time to review the build.
Cheers
Mike
p.s. Build on hold at the moment due to SWMBO standing list in hand, first job is to re-grout with sand/cement the patio, the slugs are getting out of hand and being too noisy.