Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Chris you are getting there - with Jen's invaluable help :thumb2:
When you have fit issues it's always frustrating and takes time and patience to fix. You will certainly sort it.
HI Jim well hopefully the worst is over but yes when havin fit issues it does get to you but how many ive had is disgracefull really for the amount of money this cost jen as she was a bit annoyed when she asked how the plane is comin on an i tell her it wont fit as really i think trumpy have made the kit to complex eg. where a part could have been moulded in one part they have made the part in several parts which in MHO has made it into a difficult to build kit if you see my meaning
ATB SIR chris an jen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS a few more pics of what ive been doin on it an tail hook fitted an bottom airbrakes IMG_0069.JPG

AN TAIL HOOK in down postion already to catch the wire an im pleased at how the jet pipes turned out but they were very awrward to make an again bad fits all round IMG_0070.JPG

AN TAIL UP hook up in stouwed position IMG_0071.JPG

an the office looks fairly good should look better all lit up an pilots ladder now fitted on IMG_0075.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THANKS Bob my freind i dont mind sayin i'll be glad to get this finished as its so huge its a job to pick it up to turn it over without breakin anythig off
ATB TO YOU BOTH
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Just saw this Il-28 build on Scalemates, it reminded me of your F-14, as it shows Trumpeter kits aren’t just this quality in the large scales. Be sure to look at pictures 6 and 7 too, and the comments underneath.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just saw this Il-28 build on Scalemates, it reminded me of your F-14, as it shows Trumpeter kits aren’t just this quality in the large scales. Be sure to look at pictures 6 and 7 too, and the comments underneath.
HI Jakko yes i had a look an yes big gaps to be filled why can these kit makers make a kit that fits as the filler makers must be makin a killin
ATB an cheers Jakko for showin me this as its good to know its just not my bad luck to get a rotten fit kit an as you say i have lowered my exspecktaions on this super hornet but now i'll really go in for a dry fit on every part to see what fits an what dont if possible
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s perplexing to me that kits designed on a computer can fit this poorly. CAD gives you the opportunity to design things and then cut them into pieces, which automatically means they will fit together. Not like in the old days, when they made oversize masters of each part, so it depended on the skill of the maker of those whether they fit properly.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Moulded parts can shrink and distort, so making the mould for a part the same size and shape as a hole it should fit doesn't always work in practice.
Pete

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Moulded parts can shrink and distort, so making the mould for a part the same size and shape as a hole it should fit doesn't always work in practice.
Pete
YES Pete i think you are right an it certainly dint work on my tomcat kit
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Now that's coming along very nicely!
THANK Arnie yes im pleased with how the build is shapein up an just sprayed grey another two complete spruces with all the parts on waiting for paint to dry
cheers my freind
ATB SIR
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Guys well ehre we go again more probs well id say a disater but i did say this is a warts an all build but today instead of fittin more parts on to knock off while handlein it i thought that i would be better to start fittin my A/M other J/R decals I BOUGHT from hannants as barry said the decalls in the kit are crap an splinter well so did the other ones Aaaaarrccchhhhh an jen held the plane while i fitted them on as best i could an a few pics to show DISATER in the makin an i started on the bottom fins on the fusealarge but i will have to touch these up with a hairy stick an yellow paint oh dear not lookin good on these decals an this happended on both fins IMG_0085.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN HERE they are again but tiyied up an look a bit better so im leavein em an not pushin my luck in case they splinter even more IMG_0090.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN AGAIN the letter A has split so a fiddley bit of work to jion it up god i'll be a nervouse wreck by the time i do all the decallsIMG_0086.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN HERE the J went to bits so a bit of again yellow paint touchin up but at least the skull an crossbone stayed whole an i must admit i was sweatin buckects tryin to fit this big decall on an the tiny no '1 at the tail top again just fell apart so more yellow paint oh dear IMG_0088.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN NOW here how the tail should have looked as i got them all togeather now but darent touch them in case they splinter again why do the decal makers make such crap decals ?IMG_0089.JPG