Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Man, that sucks :sad: My experience with Trumpeter decals has not really been overly positive. They tend to be thin and very fragile, which makes it hard to apply them properly. Looking at what you’ve got now, I think if it were my model I’d be looking at buying a set of aftermarket decals instead of going on with these, and of course removing the ones already on.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Man, that sucks :sad: My experience with Trumpeter decals has not really been overly positive. They tend to be thin and very fragile, which makes it hard to apply them properly. Looking at what you’ve got now, I think if it were my model I’d be looking at buying a set of aftermarket decals instead of going on with these, and of course removing the ones already on.
HI Jakko these were after market decals an not trumpys that i bought from hannants as barry said in his bombcat kit decals broke up so i did an even if i buy more again will they be any good as these ones cost me over £10 so im not chancein them decals again as a waste of money so im carryin on with these ones an im just goin to touch them up an i wil be usein the trumpy ones on my super hornet as again buyin more is not the answer like barry on his bombcat he had the same probs so i think just carry on an an touch them up best i can do then i think it will look acceptable i hope
CHEERS fo stoppin
chrisb

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hells bells Chris that must have been a heart stopping moment when they just fell apart, great recovery .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hells bells Chris that must have been a heart stopping moment when they just fell apart, great recovery .
HI John yes i was very dissapointed an the air was very blue an jen had her fingers in her ears while i was swearin as from barrys attempt on his trumpy model he said the kits decals were bad so i bought after market ones an they still fell apart im goin to have a real close look on the decal sheet to see if there is a makers email an if so will complain on an email about these decals as im dreadin to try doin the rest an yes i see jakko's point but if i send for more will they be the same again as i dont want to waste money on them an im just goin to try an touch them up an i think it will look acceptable
ATB john
chris an jen

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
HI John yes i was very dissapointed an the air was very blue an jen had her fingers in her ears while i was swearin as from barrys attempt on his trumpy model he said the kits decals were bad so i bought after market ones an they still fell apart im goin to have a real close look on the decal sheet to see if there is a makers email an if so will complain on an email about these decals as im dreadin to try doin the rest an yes i see jakko's point but if i send for more will they be the same again as i dont want to waste money on them an im just goin to try an touch them up an i think it will look acceptable
ATB john
chris an jen
Chris, don't blame you one bit in trying to find their address, may be old stock ?
Love to Jen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, don't blame you one bit in trying to find their address, may be old stock ?
Love to Jen
YES John they maybe old stock but how can you tell as i could now contack hannants again an buy more an then have the same probs as they dont tell how long they have had them an jen blows you a BIG X lol
chris an jen

• Love
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well still at it an jen has been helpin me since 9am this morn an we have had enough for the day as im shattered an jen was tired out as we have been fittin them after market decalls on the cat an they have been terrible an would you beleive it but some of the bad decals were so bad i just dumped them an got the same decall off the trumpy decalls that came with the kit an they were great no splitin at all wish id have used them now in the first place an done the bounty hunter scyeme an now at least it looks half decent after i have just touched up the decals with paint an here starboard side an that long black an yellow stripe at the nose broke up into 6 parts so i had the job with jens help of alingninig it all up again phewIMG_0092.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an the port side an that black an yellow bar half of it just fell apart into tiny bits so had to cheat a bit an nick part of the starboard side to match up an this is still not finished again tommorw an yes the navy decal needs to be straighted up as ive never know decals like these they just wont stay fitted to the surface an keep lifin up an i touched up that big J AN IT NOW LOOKS ACCEPTABLE IMG_0093.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like a struggle alright, putting those markings on :sad:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That looks like a struggle alright, putting those markings on :sad:
YES Jakko it was as them bloomin decals half of them just fell to bits when tryin to slide them off the backin paper an i was losein the will to carry on with this moddel as now im not buyin after market decals no more as i treid the kits decalls an they were good like the big walk way black decals near the canopy they were brilliant an dint brake up not like the after market decals i bought from hannants as jen an i were there hrs tryin to fit the bits of decals togeather but just goin to fit the canopy an the big fuel tanks an give the misseles a miss as this kit has killed my modelin mojo oh dear an im leavein that super hornet for a while to see if my mojo comes back just goin to light her up when ive fitted the canopy an i think call it quits
chris an jen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My advice is that for your next model, build something that fits well and goes together quickly, that way you’ll actually finish the model and feel better :smiling3: That Hornet can wait.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
My advice is that for your next model, build something that fits well and goes together quickly, that way you’ll actually finish the model and feel better :smiling3: That Hornet can wait.
WELL Jakko would like to take your advice thank you trouble is there is nothing that i feel like building now mojo is shot an might drop off the forum for a while to see if i miss it
chrisb

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Chris, hit the wall, I know how you feel, done it a few times, mojo in the bin....
Take a break and let the dust settle, you have hit a big problem and overcome it (decals)....
I went away after my last look and then came back and have caught up on even more spectacular workmanship.
The decals are a PITA, can I suggest that for your next build make a mask of the letters and spray them on....
Cheers
Mike.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, hit the wall, I know how you feel, done it a few times, mojo in the bin....
Take a break and let the dust settle, you have hit a big problem and overcome it (decals)....
I went away after my last look and then came back and have caught up on even more spectacular workmanship.
The decals are a PITA, can I suggest that for your next build make a mask of the letters and spray them on....
Cheers
Mike.
HI Mike yes mojo done in an yes big problem only had this happen once before on that K/H jag kit but that was a small kit of 1/48th an to me it dint seem to matter but on this big tomcat kit done so much extra work like lights an opening an closein fusalarge panels an bad fits kit an jen havin bought it an buyin after market decals it seems a big kick in the teeth after all that an i just havnt got the gumpshion to want to make masks an they are to complex anyway them decals are but just goin to finish the plane an light it up to see what i would have had better if this had worked out how i planned it to but thanks to you also mike for your suggestion like Jakko gave me
ATB SIR
CHRIS AN JEN

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
YES John they maybe old stock but how can you tell as i could now contack hannants again an buy more an then have the same probs as they dont tell how long they have had them an jen blows you a BIG X lol
chris an jen
Thank you Jen .:blow-kiss-2: