Doug's 1/48 - KA27 Helix by Hobby Boss

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Todays labour!
Starboard and underside bibs and bobs fitted. Finished off a couple of bits on the port side to. I think I only have the undercarriage and one or three delicate items to fit now and I 'may' be in a position to prime. (SWMBO has a full days jobs lined up for the bank holiday!!!).

Without further a-do!!
Pic 1
Handles, tie down links and bump thing!!!! No idea what the sticky out bit is - yet!!!!
Radome at the front and what I would hazard a guess at, the lower protrusion on the tail cone. I reckon as it has two round surfaces, the doppler transmit/receiver. As the helicopter does have a AFCS. (Automatic Flight Control System). So it will need accurate ground speed and drift indications.
IMG_1621.JPG

Pic 2
Steps, flotation system?? (I think). Aerials, scoops and lighting fitted.
IMG_1622.JPG

Pic 3
Stabiliser supports fitted, PE completed. This is how looks at the end of my working day!!.
IMG_1624.JPG

Still very pleased with how this has gone together, no real drama's other than the odd - 'ping', (only one today).

Well - that's all folks.

Any/All C&C's welcome as usual and thanks for looking in.

Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Evening peoples.

After yesterday's progress, I went to bed non too happy. I just wasn't happy with the port side cabin door. It sat wrong and had gaps all round where it sat. Last evening I poured over pics of the area I found on the internet and today decided upon some remedial surgery to correct the seating of the cabin door!

Pic 1
One of the gaps and by no means the smallest!
The top of the door should sit inside the top rail. BUT - wouldn't if the cut out on the bottom of the door sits in its correct place!
IMG_1625.JPG

Pic 2
Surgery complete.
Door now sitting 'inside' the frame. To achieve this I had to file off a couple of mil from the bottom of the door. That meant also having to cut out a small oblong, (Apron 2mm x 1mm), bottom right corner of the cabin door, to replicate the initial cut out that mates with the lower door rail!! Hope that makes sense!
IMG_1626.JPG

Pic 3
Correct cabin door fitment as seen on a Ukrainian Museum Helix.
Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 18.00.43.png

That was all I managed today as 'her' list was longer than anticipated!!

Thanks for popping in.

Doug

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This is looking great Doug, nice fix on the door :thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Great progress Doug that rotor assembly looks superb along with the rest :smiling3:
Thank you Brian. I was bit daunted by the rotor heads initially but it was very enjoyable. (Helps being a good kit and everything fitting as it should).

This is looking great Doug, nice fix on the door :thumb2:
And thank you too Andy, if I couldn't have got the door to fit I think my next best option was to have the door open.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm enjoying having family visit!!! I'm actually managing to get slightly more bench time than I thought!!!

Today was a day for sitting around!! Well - assembling the seats and trying to make them look used! I utilised the harness bits from the SK to use on this, working on the basic principle a harness is a harness!!! I was getting tape all over my fingers so I opted for a cheat instead. I gave the interior a few coats of Russian AF light blue ready for the two fuselage half to go together whilst I was at it.
All the transparent panels have been masked, either liquid or tape.

So todays progress in pics.

Pic 1
Front three seats, I weathered the body of the seats with some wash and using my new 000 brush, dabbled with trying to add some additional shape/contours the seat backs. Taking the bland solid colour away!!
View attachment 516108

Pic 2
Back seat.
View attachment 516109

Pic 3
Front seat with harness's fitted!! I have no idea if the Russian use 5 point harness or 4 point but settled for 4 in the end.
Harness deliberately looking dishevelled!!!
View attachment 516110

That was it for today, I was surprised how long all that lot took.

As usual C&C's all welcomed and thanks if your following along.

(Now donning apron and become duty chef!!!!) Perks of enjoying myself today!!!

Doug
Those harnesses worked out ok. Foil is another alternative material to make seat belts from.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress doug , nice recovery on the door . Cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Doug, Nice build, with fettling going on where it’s needed. Door looks far better now you’ve modded it :thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I know Doug, very, very late again.

Fine work sir!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Not much progress today but I did manage some.

I found the undercarriage quite delicate for such a bulky flying machine. It was fiddly but not so much as I found the Wasp undercarriage.
The connections between the joints are very flimsy. I can see why a aftermarket set is available in metal! (I suppose that says a lot).

Pic 1
Only managed the starboard side undercarriage, both rear and front.
IMG_1627 copy.JPG

That was it for today. A bone jarring walk to Portland Bill for an ice cream then a sad departure of number one son. Maggie our pup has been moping about since he left. She enjoyed another set of fingers to chew on!

Thanks for popping in.

Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
In true Waspie fashion - I messed up again dad!!!!!

The one rear undercarriage I did assemble and fix in place was wrong. It sat too far aft when comparing where mine sat to images showing where it sits on 'real' ones. The two lateral forks were back to front so had to be dissembled and assembled correctly. (Doh).
At the moment the port and starboard rear struts appear to be sticking out proud so once glue cured off I will file down. At least Hobby Boss have the U/C sitting as if it's on the ground and has weight on them!!
Pic later!
Only a short session as SWMBO has had me cleaning all morning! (Visitors gone)!!

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Are you sure it's not just the angle of the pic ? there can't be much in it. If thats what you mean

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Are you sure it's not just the angle of the pic ? there can't be much in it. If thats what you mean
Brian, when you compare the model U/C alignment with pictures of 1:1 Ka27's from side view.. My initial U/C vertical strut was aft of where it should have been. (The blisters on the side by the U/C are a good visual cue for alignment). Only a couple of mil on the kit but would equate to a significant amount in the real world. Anyway it annoyed the poo out me!! :tears-of-joy:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ok, pic of complete U/C fitted. (Next time I choose a kit I'll have to find one with a more robust U/C set-up!!)

Just needs some remedial finishing work to the lower joints. Started painting the wheels. Hand painted the inners that sickly Russian green!!! Only big item to complete are the rotor blades!! A few small bits, aerials, pitot tube and mirror's than it's - 'Spray Time'.

Pic 1
IMG_1629 copy.JPG

That's all folks.

Thanks for your likes and comments all greatly appreciated. :thumb2: :smiling3:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
All looking great Doug.Fair play to you as you keep going and solve any glitches.Might try and dig out my half builf Italeri Wessex HU 5 or start my Revell Seaking.Ive only ever built one helicopter wayyyyy back in early 80s.That was the Matchbox 1.48th Kaman Seasprite which i always thought was a cool looking aircraft.
Onwards and upwards chum.
Rich

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
All looking great Doug.Fair play to you as you keep going and solve any glitches.Might try and dig out my half builf Italeri Wessex HU 5 or start my Revell Seaking.Ive only ever built one helicopter wayyyyy back in early 80s.That was the Matchbox 1.48th Kaman Seasprite which i always thought was a cool looking aircraft.
Onwards and upwards chum.
Rich
I see Seasprite and think - Splash!! Which they did for a hobby!!!!
Yeah - go for it Rich. I fancy a Wessex next to be honest!!!!