Doug's 1/48 - KA27 Helix by Hobby Boss

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Chickenhawk is the best book I’ve read on the Vietnam conflict.

Chickenhawk is a really good book. 'Low level Hell' by Hugh Mills is also a good read, as is 'A Lonely Kind of War' by Marshall Harrison - if for the bit with the two Cobra's is nothing else. I've lost count of the books I've read on Vietnam. Not read the Tunnels of Ch Chi though - thanks for the tip Doug.

Thank you Arnold. Takes a while catching up with all the builds huh after a break!! ;) :tears-of-joy:

Oh lordy - it takes ages - you guys need to slow down a bit! :smiling:

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
A fair bit left for tomorrow. I find the hardest part is trying to avoid removing any detail from panels and such. I have re-scribed a couple after filler got in the gap!!

That's always a the challenge/trade-off isn't it? I think sometimes you have to get into the mindset of actually liking seam work - it makes it easier.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Now then Waspie, it appears you are getting the hang of this model making. Just read through your build and I am well impressed, now looking forward to the paint and decals.
Wooo-Hooo, praise indeed. Thanks Mike. Learning, learning. Always learning. It helps that I’ve really enjoyed this one. (So far!!!) :rolling:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Sorry, another dumb question!

The finish on this will be a medium/light grey. Now, with the dark blue Sea King I did a dark pin wash to highlight panel lines etc.

What would you recommend for this grey finish?

Cheers muchly chaps.

Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Chickenhawk is a really good book. 'Low level Hell' by Hugh Mills is also a good read, as is 'A Lonely Kind of War' by Marshall Harrison - if for the bit with the two Cobra's is nothing else. I've lost count of the books I've read on Vietnam. Not read the Tunnels of Ch Chi though - thanks for the tip Doug.

Oh lordy - it takes ages - you guys need to slow down a bit! :smiling:
I'll keep my eye out for them Arny - cheers. And yup, me too, I love the Viet Nam period as far as book reading is concerned.

Have a look out for 'Snake Pilot' by Randy Zane. A good friend of mine Tony Turpin, knows Randy really well - both helicopter pilots and all that!!

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
I'll keep my eye out for them Arny - cheers. And yup, me too, I love the Viet Nam period as far as book reading is concerned.

Have a look out for 'Snake Pilot' by Randy Zane. A good friend of mine Tony Turpin, knows Randy really well - both helicopter pilots and all that!!

That's cool Doug, I'll take a look at that one!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Steve. Huey huh, nice helicopter. If you do, have a read of Chickenhawk. (Chap called Mason.) If you can't fly a UH1 after eating the book - well!! It is so well written. Non the less, a very good insight to the helicopter.

Thank you Arnold. Takes a while catching up with all the builds huh after a break!! ;) :tears-of-joy:
I have the book mate - excellent!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
After yesterday seem filling I had a an hour and bit smoothing out the filler.

Try the Tunnels of Cu Chi if you haven't already. About the tunnel rats. Another eye opener!!
Yep, read that as well. It’s good, but not as good as chickenhawk……shows what the VC would go through to beat the invader though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A fair bit left for tomorrow. I find the hardest part is trying to avoid removing any detail from panels and such. I have re-scribed a couple after filler got in the gap!!
I find it helps to rescribe panels as you go, and before sanding obliterates them completely. If you get into that mindset it means that all you need to do is deepen the existing panel lines as you sand the surface away, rather than rescribe from scratch (if that makes any sense). I do the same after applying filler, running a scriber around the panel to clear the filler before it dries.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Great stuff as Mike says bring on the paint ,small tip I find that if the list is left for long enough by using what sounds valid excuses they get on with half of it themselves :tongue-out3:. Dave
Nice theory Dave and I can tell you don’t know my other half.
She a terrier!! She just doesn’t let go!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
More removing excess filler today. Then, as SWMBO didn't need me for a couple of hours I toyed with the idea of diving back into the Wasp - but the feeling didn't last long!!
Instead, I decided to prime the areas where I removed the previous coats due to sanding and such. So out Gaahleri A/B and off I went. (It's nice having a dedicated A/B for priming - I feel rich!! :tears-of-joy:).
With that done I was now at the mercy of Mem Sahib and her chores! I couldn't escape either as the weather has been lousy all day. Hasn't stopped raining. Only hope it's been better where you all are!!

The Helix now sits awaiting 24 hours before I throw more paint at it.

Pic 1 (Only 1)
Helix waiting!
IMG_1638.JPG

That's all folks.

C&C's most welcome.

Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Twenty four hours elapsed and I was back with the paint.

First was the rotor blades. Six in fact. I applied a couple of coats of seaplane grey to the whole surface area. Once I'm happy the paint has cured, probably Late tomorrow or maybe even Sunday I will mask off leaving only the leading edge exposed. Then the edge will be coated with a darker shade of grey. (Once that has all cured, the blade tips will be masked off ready for a coat of red to be applied.)

Once the rotor blades were painted. I used the same seaplane grey to spray the raydome and a what would be on the real Helix, the torpedo/depth charge bay. Again, I now wait so I can mask that off to enable me to paint the rest of the fuselage.

That was it for today. I'm in the waiting for paint to dry mode now!!!

No pics as I'll post progress pics once the move to the new forum platform has taken place.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
A day where rain stopped play - or at least the humidity.

I started off as planned with the rotor blades;

Pic 1
Primed, top coated and ready for masking prior to painting the leading edges!
IMG_1639.JPG

Pic 2
Believe it or not - they took way longer than expected. Still, they are now ready to accept paint!!
IMG_1640.JPG

Pic 3
With the blades masked it was the turn of the weapon compartment doors and chin radar to be masked off. How I never managed to knock some of the 'sticky out' bits I'll never know!! Still all done and ready to start applying top coats.
IMG_1641.JPG

Sadly, by that stage it was over cast and threatening to rain - so time for a cuppa!!

Then it did!! Rain!!!! And it didn't stop. Looked at the barometer and humidity was up to low 80's so decided to knock it on the head for the day.
Problem is tomorrow looks like much of the same - suck it and see I guess!!!

Well - that's all folks.

All comments and stone throwing will be received with grace and decorum as is becoming a modelling novice!!

Cheers for looking in folks.

Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Today's progress was pleasing.

Pic 1
Rotor blades nearly all done. Leading edge painted a darker grey as per instructions. Tips painted red and connection points to rotor head painted black. Only have a couple of minor scratches on the blades and I noticed a bit pf bleed from spraying the edges on one of the blades.
IMG_1644.JPG

Pic 2
Fuselage spray completed. Couldn't get the exact Russian grey but from the. colour charts, USAF grey fitted the bill.
IMG_1646.JPG

Pic 3
Port side shot!
IMG_1647.JPG

That was it for the day. Much more than I expected looking at the sky before lunch.

C&C's all welcomed.

Forum change must be very imminent now, so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

Thanks for looking in.

Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thank you very much Paul and Stefan. I was quite pleased with the result. I did have a minor glitch using the H&S Ultra A/B. It coughed!! causing an overload of paint over the upper starboard fuselage. Had a cup of tea and when I looked agin it wasn't visible.
However, I did change A/B and used the pistol grip of the Gaahleri instead. Topped up the paint pot with a suitable amount of paint and gave the Helix another couple of coats. Faultless. I have to say, it is a very good airbrush, at the moment I would rate it higher than the more expensive Ultra.
Thanks again for your very kid words of encouragement, much appreciated. :thumb2: