Doug's 1/48 - KA27 Helix by Hobby Boss

D

Deleted member 6598

the Matchbox 1.48th Kaman Seasprite which i always thought was a cool looking aircraft.
I have fond memories of that kit too. Fond enough that I purchased an unbuilt one a few years ago and … well, put it into the stash, to be built “some day”.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks a complex machine Doug, you're doing a fantastic job on it

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking very nice and a great bit of remedial work on the door.
Thank you Paul, that door really was tweaking my OCD muscle. Just couldn't leave it!!!

Looks a complex machine Doug, you're doing a fantastic job on it
Than you too Joe. The real thing looks incredibly complex. Luckily for me Hobby Boss made the it a bit easier to construct by giving me only a few problems to put right!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi folks. Today I got to the bench to look at the Helix after a few days getting to grips with the newly acquired A/Bs.
It was a day for priming, also a good test for one of the A/B's. I chose the Gaahleri pistol grip to apply the primer. I set everything up, airframe, rotor blades and a few smaller pieces for priming. Mixed the primer with thinner and flow improver put it in the smaller of the pots and had a test on some white paper to get the spray pattern right. Then off I went.

The pistol grip was so useful, no grip problems and it sprayed beautifully. A couple of light coats later, then I set about cleaning the A/B. Piece of cake.

I next hand painted the four wheels 'tyre black'. That was going to it for the day, - then I was given a yellow card by SWMBO so I thought about what I can do next.

I then spied the jars of pigments I had been given!! Light came on.
I picked up my old Chally 2. And started dusting some sand over prominent places. Mmmm. OK. Next came some smoke - dabbed some around the exhaust outlets and around the adjacent areas, rubbing it in with a short bristled brush, remembering the staining from actual CH2's I had seen around Bovington.
Right!! So tonight, I think I had better have a look and see how it should actually be applied!!! (Cart - Horse/Horse - Cart). I always get it wrong!!! Still! The effect I achieved with my dabbling looked not too bad. (Even touched up the Sea Kings exhaust with the 'smoke' effect.

It was then I was allowed to step foot indoors!!! (Only to take the pooch for walkies!!)

Sorry no pics. (Sighs of relief all round)) Due to the crepe bad weather - I left it indoors!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Question/Advice needed.

I have primed my Helix a light grey. The final colour is a slightly darker grey over 90% of the fuselage and 10% lt grey on the belly.

My Q. Do I need to pre shade panels and if so with what - black - white ? OR, do I simply leave as is!!

Thanks in advance.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I think I would go white on the underside myself.
Thanks Mark.

Didn't manage much today. Did have plans to do a first coat on the fuselage but decided against it. Instead, I removed the rotor blades from the sprues, attached what looks like a balance weight on the lower blades. Then tidied up the sprue points and removed a couple of seems.

The seems made me look at the fuselage and I noticed a few that could do with a bit of filler and a couple of seems that are proud filed down. So I set about that. By that stage I was re-tasked by a higher authority so I left the filler to set and cure.

Glad I took the time to finesse the fuselage as it should add to what has been a nice kit. It would be a shame to race ahead now and ruin any decent work done to date.

And that was today.

Thanks for keeping up

Doug

PS, getting really annoyed with auto correct!!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've never built a helicopter (I briefly dreamt of a 1/35 Huey diorama but then realised the size!) and looking at your excellent work on these beasties I shall leave them to the experts. Looking most tickety-boo as it stands, lovely job mate!
Steve

Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I've never built a helicopter (I briefly dreamt of a 1/35 Huey diorama but then realised the size!) and looking at your excellent work on these beasties I shall leave them to the experts. Looking most tickety-boo as it stands, lovely job mate!
Steve
Cheers Steve. Huey huh, nice helicopter. If you do, have a read of Chickenhawk. (Chap called Mason.) If you can't fly a UH1 after eating the book - well!! It is so well written. Non the less, a very good insight to the helicopter.

Just caught up with this Doug - great work thus far.
Thank you Arnold. Takes a while catching up with all the builds huh after a break!! ;) :tears-of-joy:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Steve. Huey huh, nice helicopter. If you do, have a read of Chickenhawk. (Chap called Mason.) If you can't fly a UH1 after eating the book - well!! It is so well written. Non the less, a very good insight to the helicopter.

Thank you Arnold. Takes a while catching up with all the builds huh after a break!! ;) :tears-of-joy:
Chickenhawk is the best book I’ve read on the Vietnam conflict.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Looking good!

I've found replacing the seatbelt straps in PE sets with Tamiya tape - suitably painted - and using the PE buckles and fasteners is easier than trying to bend and shape PE straps. If you've got any PE sets left over from another build, you could use the buckles etc from them. May not be totally accurate, but surely much easier than trying to make your own. Failing that, tape, silver paint and a tiny brush might work for you.

PS I'm sure I've looked at a build of this on t'web, and there's some sort of gear arrangement with that hex rod you mention that gets the rotors going in opposite directions. Is that right?
Great minds think alike, I always cut the buckles away and ues them later for small items.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
In true Waspie fashion - I messed up again dad!!!!!

The one rear undercarriage I did assemble and fix in place was wrong. It sat too far aft when comparing where mine sat to images showing where it sits on 'real' ones. The two lateral forks were back to front so had to be dissembled and assembled correctly. (Doh).
At the moment the port and starboard rear struts appear to be sticking out proud so once glue cured off I will file down. At least Hobby Boss have the U/C sitting as if it's on the ground and has weight on them!!
Pic later!
Only a short session as SWMBO has had me cleaning all morning! (Visitors gone)!!
So now you have become a bit of a scrubber....
Mine had me move her #2 apple tree from the front garden to the rear garden, then dismantle to water collecting tub, level and rebuild the brick base for it.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
After yesterday's seem filling I had a spell today removing the excess filler. Took a fair while as some of it is in awkward places. Teach me for not looking ahead!!!
Not finished either, ten minutes to put filler in and several hour removing it. 400 and 1200 wet and dry and a scalpel blade to tease out filler as well.

Only one pic. Did take more but with the forum move imminent - I may post them post move!

Pic 1
IMG_1637.JPG

Small steps at the moment.

Thanks for popping by.

Doug