Doug's Westland Wasp by LF, the build!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That was way back in the 70’s. By the early 80’s the number was low 30’s. Then in 88 the Wasp was removed. 829 continued but now it was a Lynx squadron. 702 NAS became the Lynx training sqdn.
THANKS Doug for that info as im not up on all R/N info an be nice to see your wasp built when you have finished that russkie chopper which im not the greatest fan on as to me they look ungainly but ok they did fly an do a job i suppoce

chrisb

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have spent the weekend and a portion of today attempting to assemble the flotation gear!! Every combination of fitting has been tried and still the flotation cans don't sit right - I surrender!!!
View attachment 515372
The white flag is now flying over the bench! I give up!!
Wasn't going to let a piece of plastic get to me but this kit has. From start to ¾ built it has made me want to take up knitting. It now resides in its box stored for whenever I acquire the skill set or 'want' to see this kit completed.
If I don't walk away from this I can see it putting me off what I have until recently - enjoyed. So in the interest of sanity - the end to the Westland Wasp by LF.
For those who have this in their stash. Don't let my experience put you off. You are probably a lot more skilled than I and won't find it half so troublesome as I have. This is only my 5th kit since taking up the hobby so not too disheartened!!!!
Lets hope HobbyBoss kits are less bother?
Put it away and come back to it after another build, and I bet during that build your mind will work out how and what to do about the flotation bins.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just downloaded and looked at the instructions....
You may have tried this but here goes...
Cement part 44 to 43 and let dry enough that you can move it and make adjustment if required. Then cement part 43 to the frame 41 and set aside to dry.
Then fit part 42 and allow to dry and finally add part 45.
I know it is ok to sit on the sidelines and give advice.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Put it away and come back to it after another build, and I bet during that build your mind will work out how and what to do about the flotation bins.
Yup, been giving it a thought in-between chores!!

Just downloaded and looked at the instructions....
You may have tried this but here goes...
Cement part 44 to 43 and let dry enough that you can move it and make adjustment if required. Then cement part 43 to the frame 41 and set aside to dry.
Then fit part 42 and allow to dry and finally add part 45.
I know it is ok to sit on the sidelines and give advice.
Yeah, tried that Mike, it was the fact it didn't sit at the right angle or the front was too high and the back too low. I may resolve to making my own connecting arms - we'll see! (Still have the hammer hidden from sight).
Oh, any advice is always welcomed, sidelines or otherwise.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
After a session on the Helix, I opened the box with the Wasp in it and cast my eye over it again.

Identified the parts for the flotation equipment and tried - I reiterate - TRIED to dry fit the struts and flotation cans. No way would they go together as they should. I even had a go at swapping the left and right flotation clams over and still no luck.

I have had an idea but it will mean buying some round plastic rods and making some bespoke struts to ensure it all sits correctly.
I'll have to try and remember to measure them tomorrow, (diameter), then order some plastic.

I still think this Wasp is 100% worst kit I have encountered to date. Not giving up though!!!!!!

Worst case scenario. I'll buy an air rifle and use it as target practice!!!!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I don't feel so bad about giving up on the Wasp. ( Not totally).
There are quite a few on FB in exactly the same position I am. Shelf of Doom, binned, given up, just a few terms used for the LF Wasp.
Not given up just yet. IT WILL BE FINISHED!!!!